The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2014, 11:19 PM   #351
Alberto

Re: NV4500 swap is underway

Casting number on the nv4500 C-16812 thats gm casting numbers
Alberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:26 PM   #352
franken

Well, Larry pointed out a possible 31 spline setup I never heard of...

Last edited by franken; 09-16-2014 at 11:33 PM.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:32 PM   #353
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
Casting number on the nv4500 C-16812 thats gm casting numbers
Those numbers mean nothing to me but it sure sounds like what I said before…an AA NV4500 to 10 spline 205 kit. You can post up pictures (in your own new thread that you will start) and we can try to help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
Ok, then you do not have a 31 spline output.
As suggested, you need to figure out what you have, then figure out what you need to put things together. Nobody can figure out what you have if you can't, but it's pretty easy to see you don't have what you say.
It would be best to start your own thread since this is likely to take a while.
Well, theoretically he does have a 31 spline NV4500 if it has been cut to work with the AA kit
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:34 PM   #354
franken

Sorry, my ignorance is in full view.
And worse, I got lippy. Sorry!
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:53 PM   #355
Alberto

Thanks for getting back to me larry so why did you replace the 27 spline for round patern 205 did it not work out for you after you replace the input
Old 09-16-2014, 11:59 PM   #356
DirtyLarry

Quote:
Thanks for getting back to me larry so why did you replace the 27 spline for round patern 205 did it not work out for you after you replace the input
No problemo... See post 284 why I went to a round 32 spline 205 (to lazy to repeat the same story already posted here)
Old 09-17-2014, 12:46 AM   #357
Alberto

So what failed was it the coupler between the 2 shafts
Old 09-17-2014, 09:36 AM   #358
SunSoaked

[QUOTE= DirtyLarry says "Funny, there is always this “guy” or “some website” that sells these elusive new round pattern 205 cases. Steve talked about those years ago and when I was ready to buy nobody could come up with the source that sold them.
QUOTE]

Pirate 4x4, his username is "gearedfather", (Member # 165627) lives in the Twin City area. Look him up, send him a PM. He never advertised, just always answered if someone was looking. Nice guy.

Larry, I'm not seeing the humor, It's a big world, all you gotta do is ask

Last edited by SunSoaked; 09-17-2014 at 09:43 AM.
SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:46 AM   #359
DirtyLarry

Quote:
So what failed was it the coupler between the 2 shafts
No sir. There was nothing wrong with the sleeve. In the end there wasn’t a smoking gun found as to why 5th gear started rattling on the mainshaft. I really had it burned in my brain that the AA collar that holds 5th gear in place did not hold 5th gear tight enough where it came loose and caused 5th gear to knurle the mainshaft resulting in all of the noise. Keep in mind the AA kit required the mainshaft to be cut where the nut (yeah, the one that is notorious for coming loose on NV4500s) that holds 5th gear is not used. Instead of the nut, AA uses a collar to hold 5th gear in place. That is where the 31 spline comes in.

Last year when I go it apart I found the AA collar was indeed tight where by hand it felt like it was holding 5th gear just fine. There was no play what so ever eventhough 5th gear would rock on the mainshaft. With that, I cannot blame the AA kit for taking out 5th gear on this new trans (this was a NOS trans, not a remain). Prior to tearing it apart I had already purchased a new mainshaft and round pattern 205 to go back together with as I didn’t want to cut another mainshaft.

The question remains why did 5th gear tear up the mainshaft when it was tight? That is a good question but I am starting to believe those that claim never to tow in 5th gear. I don’t tow but this truck is very heavy (8,000 lbs.) with a high torque engine. I tend to lug it in 5th gear at low RPM and low speeds just because the engine has enough power to do that. Lugging it around also saves fuel. It could the NV4500 is not strong enough for my driving habits. If this thing craps another 5th gear I’ll be looking at doing something different for a transmission. Probably an Allison 2200 on the next swap if these NV4500s continue to be so finicky.

What really chaps my butt is the trans that ate 5th gear was a NOS trans from a GM overstock buyer. That thing shifted soooo nice! Now that it has been rebuilt with an aftermarket mainshaft the SOB does not like to go in to granny gear without a fight meanwhile, the NV4500 in my Burb also has an aftermarket mainshaft and that one won’t go into 5th gear without a fist fight either. I am just about over these finicky NV4500s.
So far I've got about 5,000 miles on this latest NV4500 and so far so good (other than it doesn't like to go into granny gear). Its as quiet as a church mouse in 5th gear cruising on the interstate at 80 MPH.

[quote=SunSoaked;6846322]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry says "Funny, there is always this “guy” or “some website” that sells these elusive new round pattern 205 cases. Steve talked about those years ago and when I was ready to buy nobody could come up with the source that sold them. :lol:

Pirate 4x4, his username is "gearedfather", (Member # 165627) lives in the Twin City area. Look him up, send him a PM. He never advertised, just always answered if someone was looking. Nice guy.

Larry, I'm not seeing the humor, It's a big world, all you gotta do is ask
Thanks for the info. It is humorous if you followed this thread for the past 4 years and lived through the PMs on this topic as well. It is funny that someone always knows a guy or something that peddles new round pattern cases for cheap. You are the first to actually come up with a name. Don't get your panties in a whad. Its all in good fun
Old 09-17-2014, 02:52 PM   #360
Alberto

Wow that is crazy these nv4500 trans are are supose to be hevy duty thats why im doing the conversion my 79 k5 and because of the overdrive I have a th400 with 205 right now and wanted to swap it out for a 4l80e but insted I went and bouth this set up for 1300 I thouth it was a steal for that price plus its all been rebuilt and never installed now that your telling this is it even worth doing the swap. My th400 and 205 runs good no problems just want the OD
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2014, 03:25 PM   #361
DirtyLarry

Quote:
Wow that is crazy these nv4500 trans are are supose to be hevy duty thats why im doing the conversion my 79 k5 and because of the overdrive I have a th400 with 205 right now and wanted to swap it out for a 4l80e but insted I went and bouth this set up for 1300 I thouth it was a steal for that price plus its all been rebuilt and never installed now that your telling this is it even worth doing the swap. My th400 and 205 runs good no problems just want the OD
Thanks for the pictures. That is indeed the same the same kit I started without side of the different spline sleeve.

No, I’m not saying it’s not worth the swap. There are lots of people having great luck with NV4500’s. My problems could have been an isolated issue or something related to my driving habits, truck weight, power, etc. The problems with mine not shifting worth the crap after they’ve had mainshaft replacements could be related to the aftermarket parts or maybe the guy I am using to rebuild them is doing something wrong.

I think you did get a great deal on what you got.. Don’t be scared to use it. I personally am getting tired of fussing with these things. If mine craps again, its getting replaced with something else.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:49 PM   #362
Alberto

I hear you well im just going to use it the way it is the only thing I dont like is that 10 spline 205 but if replace it with the 27 ill have to buy another sleeve I just dont want to put more money into it plus it feels pretty snug for now ill just have put it on and see for myself first. Thanks for replies
Old 10-29-2014, 09:50 AM   #363
K20chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post
Had a chance to sneak by an all-truck salvage yard about 40 minutes from my house this morning. Man, I think I just found my new favorite salvage yard! I have never seen more trucks for ripe pickin’s in one location in my life! I was like a kid in a candy store. Hard to believe this place is only 40 minutes from where I grew up and I never heard of it before. Actually, the yard is in my wife’s home town of Canon City but of course, she had no idea it existed.

Anyway, I scored a hydraulic clutch/brake pedal assembly from a 1989 chassis cab as well as the rod and other doodads that go between the brake hydrobooster and master cylinder that I needed. Then on my way out I found the NV4500 shifter stick that I really wanted…… A 1992-1994 shifter, as the knob matches the 73-87 tcase knob! Pretty happy about that. Got a bunch of other little things too.

Hydraulic pedal assembly on the left.

Check out this yard (terrible Blackberry pictures)...... this dude has more Squares than Home Depot! I haven’t seen this many square trucks in one spot since I was a kid in the 70’s/80’s drooling at the local GM dealer. He claims to have over 250 squares and 150 88 to ’09 trucks. I love this place!

Chassis cab that I pirated the pedals from….

Got a lot of work to do this weekend now that I have parts!
Hey Larry, where is this place? clos to you somewhere? If he has that many squares, do you recall if he has any good body trim that goes around the two tone and in the back of the cab below the rear window??? (73-80)

Thanks!

68 Chevy K20 Panel truck, build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...41#post7263441
K20chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:32 AM   #364
DirtyLarry

It’s in Canon City but it is closed now. One of the brothers that ran it died and the other brother closed it down. The rumor is he could not find a buyer for the entire yard so they called in a crusher and stared scrapping everything. A total tragedy and waste of hundreds of not thousands of trucks if you ask me. It was without a doubt, the best yard around this area that is for sure.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:17 PM   #365
K20chevy

Quote:
It’s in Canon City but it is closed now. One of the brothers that ran it died and the other brother closed it down. The rumor is he could not find a buyer for the entire yard so they called in a crusher and stared scrapping everything. A total tragedy and waste of hundreds of not thousands of trucks if you ask me. It was without a doubt, the best yard around this area that is for sure.

Are you serious!? They crushed all thos trucks??? That is insane, with it getting harder and harder to find parts how could someone have the gutts to actually really crush them! I vote for a preservation program to save al 2nd gen and square body trucks on this planet!

But honestly, that is a shame, small things like the pedal assemblies, the trim or interior stuff are so hard to come by....

Up in the north east here, they crushed about every old truck there was a few years back, so no truck of any kind older than 15 years or so around here anywhere....

Do you have any idea where else I could find OEM trim for the body and behind the cab? and also the two chrome stripes you have in your grill, haven´t been able to find any for 14 years that I own the truck now...

Thanks for the info (even when really sad) Larry!

68 Chevy K20 Panel truck, build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...41#post7263441
K20chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:54 PM   #366
MalibuSSwagon

Quote:
What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I drove out out in Colorado Springs in August 2013 to visit a friend, and because of your post we went out to Canyon Truck to check it out. I ended up finding a set of power mirrors and some fender emblems for the C10. Sadly I could not bring back much more than that because of limited space in the car. That was an awesome place.

This is one picture I took, I have a few more but I don't want to muck up your thread.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:57 PM   #367
DirtyLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy3+3 View Post
Congrats on the magazine article Larry. I have read through your projects extensively. I am curious why i can't use my factory 205 shifter when doing the swap if i use the AA spacer?
You must have missed the part about the t-case shifter then . The main reason you will have a challenge trying to keep your original 205 shifter is because there is no pivot on the adapter between the NV4500 and 205 for the shift lever to bolt to like there is on the SM465/205. That fact won't change regardless if you use the AA 1" spacer or not. See picture below.

One option is to purchase the Advance Adapters 205 shifter bracket that bolts to the NV4500 lid bolts but that bracket is horribly flimsy. In fact, I threw mine in the iron pile because I had my doubts it would hold up for what I do with this truck. That left me with the next option of moving to an ORD twin stick. I was not thrilled about doing a twin stick but in the end I am glad I did. The third option would be to fabricate your own bracket as a homemade bracket can’t be any worse than the AA 205 shifter bracket. The last option would be to do a high dollar cable shifter like the rock crawlers often use. Hope that helps.

SM465 on Left – NV4500 on Right
Old 10-29-2014, 11:12 PM   #368
Chevy3+3

Okay thanks. I do remember your thread discussing the weak bracket but didn't catch why the factory shifter wouldn't work. I understand now. I did read somewhere in these threads that AA redesigned the shifter bracket and is rigid now. I may go that route just because I would really like the keep the factory shifter if possible. If its to flimsy I can always figure something else out or twin stick it.

Have you ever had any experience with the 5thGearrepair.com locknut retainer? I wondered if I could use this? I'm not sure I can if I use the AA spacer between the nv4500 & np205.

Last edited by Chevy3+3; 10-29-2014 at 11:20 PM.
Chevy3+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:14 PM   #369
DirtyLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuSSwagon View Post
What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I drove out out in Colorado Springs in August 2013 to visit a friend, and because of your post we went out to Canyon Truck to check it out. I ended up finding a set of power mirrors and some fender emblems for the C10. Sadly I could not bring back much more than that because of limited space in the car. That was an awesome place.

Wait a minute Eric. So let me get this right………….you drove clear across the country to visit a junkyard 30 minutes from my house and didn’t even stop to say hello? Ah well, that’s alright….. last August our baby was barely a month old and I probably would not have had much time to meet up anyway.

BUT, ya! It sucked, one of the brothers died summer of 2013, probably about the same time you were there. The other brother sent out notices to their customers around September/October where December 31, 2013 would be their last day of business. I caught wind of that through Zoomad75 who is the Service Manager at the Chevy Store in Canon City. Zoomad and another member, Ian, ran up there shortly before they closed shop and went crazy grabbing whatever we could. It is a total classic truck tragedy! Not only is it a tragedy to hear of anybody passing of cancer, it is a tragedy to see all of those trucks get scrapped. As you saw for your own eyes, they were pretty well loaded with trucks…GM trucks, Ford Trucks, Dodge Trucks, old trucks, new trucks, trucks trucks trucks….no more Canyon truck so now we are all ?ucked. Rumors come and go where someone else may fire the place back up but I have my doubts as I went by there last weekend and it looks like it is getting emptied out. It looked like portable crushing equipment up by the building. Sad
Old 10-30-2014, 07:10 PM   #370
MalibuSSwagon

Well Larry, at the time I couldn't PM you, would have loved to stop by and check out the trucks! Ahhh well maybe next time.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:37 AM   #371
sdailey
The Few, The Proud

DL,

I was cruising different sites this weekend and somehow came across this model. I'm not into RC's, but couldn't help to think of your rig when I saw it.

Heck, it maybe yours for all I know. Nonetheless, here you go.
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2014, 08:56 PM   #372
McMurray76

Too cool.
McMurray76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:40 PM   #373
DirtyLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdailey View Post
DL,

I was cruising different sites this weekend and somehow came across this model. I'm not into RC's, but couldn't help to think of your rig when I saw it.

Heck, it maybe yours for all I know. Nonetheless, here you go.
That is really cool! Nope, its not mine. I don't have near that kind of talent to build something like that.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:56 PM   #374
Irish1941

Hey Larry
was poking around on ebay and saw this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/73-80-Chevy-...16.m2518.l4276
That's your truck isn't it? Seems they "borrowed" your pictures...
Irish1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:19 PM   #375
DirtyLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish1941 View Post
Hey Larry
was poking around on ebay and saw this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/73-80-Chevy-...16.m2518.l4276
That's your truck isn't it? Seems they "borrowed" your pictures...
Yeah, that is okay. Someone from Xenon sent a message through Flickr quite a while ago asking permission to use my photos. Although, nobody from JW Custom Accessories asked permission they must have gotten them from Xenon. Thanks for the heads up though!