The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2011, 04:22 AM   #1
Chevy59Restorer

1959 Chevy Fleetside Parking Brake

Hello community i really need your help. I converted a 1959 with a mustang II suspension and a 1986 camaro rear end. My problem is that i want to keep the original parking brake underneath the dash. I dont know how it works or if i can even hook it up to this set up. Will someone that knows about this please contact me.
Chevy59Restorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
Russell Ashley

Re: 1959 Chevy Fleetside Parking Brake

I wanted to keep my original handle on my 57 also. I removed the entire parking brake setup, except the handle and got all new cables and everything else I needed from Control Cables (www.controlcables.com). The only fabrication required was to make a small bracket where the cable comes through the firewall and another one to connect the cable to the handle. It's not difficult and CC folks are friendly to work with. I spent about $175 total with shipping.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:29 AM   #3
Jemo

Russell, would it be possible to post some pics? I have the same problem.

Jeff
Jemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:05 PM   #4
craig32

C59R, I'm currently in the same boat. The original set up was the handle under the das was connected to a rod that went to a swivel on the frame right in front of the steering box, that you cut off (and my PO decided to weld a side mount bracket over) and a cable from there to a lever that connects the two rear cables. My truck also has a different rear, and the original cables (new ones, PO cut them off) work in the new rear.
I'm either going to have to mount some kind of pedal, if the new wiring harness isn't in the way, or try to mount a pull handle between the seats, meaning I can never put in a stock seat. The handle would mean mounting a pulley, reinforcing the floor, and finding a cable about 2' long. Other than that, I'm ready for inspection, something the PO obviously never had to do.
craig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:02 PM   #5
Russell Ashley

I found out about Control Cables from another thread here on the forum.

Here's how I did mine. The two cables into the splitter go directly to the rear wheels and connect as normal. The single cable goes to the handle and connects using the original yoke. The cables are threaded on the connecting ends so there's plenty of adjustment. Control Cables will send or fax you a diagram that you fill out with the lengths you want and other details. It's pretty easy, and they are great to work with.

The only fab work I did was to cut the original rod to three inches long and weld a tab to it to connect the yoke to. Then I cut a two inch long piece of pipe at an angle and welded it to the plate where the original rod went through the firewall. This plate is held on by two screws, and the angle of the cut is to aim the cable directly at the handle. I had to enlarge the hole in the firewall but not by much. I welded a washer to the top end and ground the edges off so that it was the same outer diameter as the pipe. This is to anchor the cable. If this isn't clear I might have a pic of the finished part, but, it looks like hat with a crooked brim.

You will have to drill holes to mount the splitter but your cable length would determine exactly where they would go. I hope this is clear, if not let me know and I'll try to expalin better.
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2011, 09:20 AM   #6
Jemo

Thanks very much. So you didn't have to connect anything to the bracket on the frame that the e-brake linkage originally connected to? This is the part I'm a little confused on. I'd like to eliminate the frame bracket if possible. Sure, if you find any other pics, they would be great.

Jeff
Jemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:20 AM   #7
Russell Ashley

Yes, I removed everything that was part of the original parking brake setup except the handle under the dash. It makes a much neater setup using all cables and gives more flexibility for routing and placement.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:45 PM   #8
craig32

I just finished mine. I went with the lift handle between the seats (Corvette style) moved the pulley on the frame to under the floor, used one of the old cut off rear cables and welded a nut on the other end. It didn't cost me a dime since I already had the handle from a car I stripped over 20 years ago (what foresight, eh!) and got me 5 hours bonding time with the father in law while the Mrs. was at work. Hopefully it's ready for inspection by the end of next week!
craig32 is offline   Reply With Quote