The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
87chevyk10

Turbo charged tbi 350?

Hi, I got this wild idea of turbo charging my truck. I have and 1987 tbi 350. It's pretty much stock. Do any of you know a website that sells turbos for tbi? Or do u guys know any turbo kit that won't break my bank? I want a single turbo. And what will be all the stuff I need for it. And do I have to do anything to the engine or can I leave it stock. This will be a daily driver.
87chevyk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
DarkHawk

Re: Turbo charged tbi 350?

It could be done, pretty sure I've seen centrifugal superchargers for those motors. Compression ratio should be about right for boosting. Hardest part is how your gonna get enuff fuel to it and tuning. I generally heard not to go more than about 8 psi for stock pistons. If your truck makes 200 hp. Add half an atmosphere to it, 7.5 psi roughly, your only looking at around 300 hp for stock motor. You could get that with just heads and cam and tune fuel system upgrade. Someone else would have to chime in on tuning a tbi motor, I know a little but never played with it.
06 TBSS (RIP Wife T Boned at intersection )
04 Tahoe 6" Lift
97 AWD Astro Work Vehicle/Beater
DarkHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
cableguy0

Re: Turbo charged tbi 350?

I honestly wouldn't even bother. Your going to end up neck deep trying to get the fuel injection to work properly and you will still starve for fuel on the top end. Tbi was designed for stock low power engines. It is not for performance at all. Tuning is an absolute nightmare because a chip has to be burned every time you change anything. A dead stock 5.3 LS with a computer tune will make more power than your supercharged tbi engine and probably be cheaper in the end.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote