The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2023, 09:52 AM   #1
57FleetsideC4

Wiper Transmission gasket

Hi again everyone, I have another question and will probably have more as I put this 57 pickup back together. I bought this as a started project and it was a bare shell. I am putting the wiper motor and transmissions in soon and there is a gasket and am not sure how it goes in. Should I put it on the transmission and have it between the transmission and cowl on the inside or should it be between the bezel and cowl on the outside? I am trying to avoid any leaks so need the correct placement. Thank You Steve
Old 11-13-2023, 10:59 AM   #2
dsraven

Re: Wiper Transmission gasket

you could check the assembly manual for the way it was put together at the factory. if you don'y have a copy you can do a free download from the trifive site. google
55-59 chevrolet truck factory assembly manual
and choose the trifive site
a pic of what it is you are looking at would really help. is it a gasket for the wiper arm shafts where they go through the firewall below the window?
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 01:05 PM   #3
57FleetsideC4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
you could check the assembly manual for the way it was put together at the factory. if you don'y have a copy you can do a free download from the trifive site. google
55-59 chevrolet truck factory assembly manual
and choose the trifive site
a pic of what it is you are looking at would really help. is it a gasket for the wiper arm shafts where they go through the firewall below the window?
Hi, Thanks... it is where the wiper shaft goes through the firewall. I did look at the assembly manual but it does not show that area just the wiper motor where it bolts to the cowl. The gasket is the shape of the chrome bezel that the shaft comes through and a nut holds it in place. I would think that you would have to seal it where it goes the body on the inside not a seal on the outside where you have the bezel then the grille vent and finally the body. Steve
Old 11-13-2023, 02:04 PM   #4
_Ogre

not sure if this is what you are referring to. truk has a rubber gasket under the wiper bezel. it seals the water from running down the shaft into the wiper motor, but more importantly (imo) keeps the paint from chipping around the bezel
Attached Images

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 05:21 PM   #5
dsraven

That's what I was gonna say too, rubber against paint. If you're worried about water through the hole maybe make another gasket for the inside or seal it with some non hardening or super flexible gasket sealer on the inside.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 10:25 PM   #6
57FleetsideC4

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
not sure if this is what you are referring to. truk has a rubber gasket under the wiper bezel. it seals the water from running down the shaft into the wiper motor, but more importantly (imo) keeps the paint from chipping around the bezel
That's what I thought as the gasket is the shape of the bezel not the transmission shaft base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
That's what I was gonna say too, rubber against paint. If you're worried about water through the hole maybe make another gasket for the inside or seal it with some non hardening or super flexible gasket sealer on the inside.
I am going to do something to seal that area where the transmission base goes through the body. Steve