The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2023, 05:45 PM   #1
TX3100Guy

LED Headlight issue

Yesterday I received a set of LED headlights with integrated halo and turn signal light from LMC. I was happy to the the solid construction of the unit, only to find that they don't fit into the stock reflector and bucket that mounts into the front fenders. The fitment listing on the LMC site indicates that they are for a 47-57 Chevy/GMC truck, but that just isn't the case.

Name:  Screenshot 2023-06-04 at 4.36.26 PM.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  35.5 KB

Has anyone successfully used this headlight and what reflector and bucket did you have to use to make them work?

Thanks in advance for any info.

My 1953 Chevy Work-In-Process Photo Gallery

"I don't have a carbon footprint, I drive everywhere."
TX3100Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 06:01 PM   #2
crossfire84

Re: LED Headlight issue

I looked on Classic Chevys web and they say modifications to the buckets are required.
C4 rear
Porter built a arms
Never give the Devil a ride,because he'll want to Drive!
crossfire84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 07:11 PM   #3
TX3100Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfire84 View Post
I looked on Classic Chevys web and they say modifications to the buckets are required.
No doubt, I'll post some photos tomorrow. I suspect a big chunk of the rear of the bucket will need to be removed. Not sure how much of the back will need to come out, but then it'll be exposed instead of protected by the bucket.

Old 06-04-2023, 08:27 PM   #4
TX3100Guy

So here is a picture of the stock reflector (I had previously modified it to fit a deeper bulb), the headlight housing that mounts into the fender and the new LED headlight/halo/turn signal bulb.

While I could further modify the reflector (silver part) to allow the bulb to fit, the bulb is so wide and deep that it won't fit into the housing. Rather than chop most of the housing off, I think I'd like to find a different housing that would allow the wider and deeper bulb to fit properly. Anyone have any ideas?

Name:  IMG_4143.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  75.7 KB

Old 06-04-2023, 10:43 PM   #5
mr48chev

Simple fix, send those ugly things back and get something like these for half the money. I've never figured why guys blow that kind of money on something so ugly just to be in what they think is the cool guy club.

I had Cibie H-4 lights with 55/100 bulb in them in my 48 for a long time and they threw great light on low beam and lit up the road for as far as you see road on high beam. i know they throw plenty of light at 130 mph.

I've got a pair of Jeep (OOPS Toyota landcruiser conversion ) H-4 headlights for it this time around but will have to go out and dig them out of the cabinet to tell exactly what they are.

When I put aftermarket Halogens in my 71 I had to cut the piece that held them (silver piece in your photo so they would clear. I've had good luck with lights from a guy who gets them from India that run H-4 bulbs but he has been out of 7 inch round lights most of the time lately.

Your call on the lights though, you don't have make me happy and I can always use a good laugh.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 06-05-2023 at 06:37 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 11:15 PM   #6
28TudorAZ

I did some H4 conversion headlights with LED bulbs and really like them. They fit really well. I also put some headlights similar to yours on my scout project that I am working on and may change over to the H4 conversation but still haven't decided I want a more stock look. Personally I would sent them back because the LED's for the scout were tight but they fit without cutting anything. I have seen your type of LED headlights on blacked out AD trucks and I think they look good. To each there own. Here is a pic with the H4 conversion headlights.
Attached Images

Project "LS Scout" https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=844133

Last edited by 28TudorAZ; 06-04-2023 at 11:22 PM.
28TudorAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 11:32 PM   #7
TX3100Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28TudorAZ View Post
I did some H4 conversion headlights with LED bulbs and really like them. They fit really well. I also put some headlights similar to yours on my scout project that I am working on and may change over to the H4 conversation but still haven't decided I want a more stock look. Personally I would sent them back because the LED's for the scout were tight but they fit without cutting anything. I have seen your type of LED headlights on blacked out AD trucks and I think they look good. To each there own. Here is a pic with the H4 conversion headlights.
Good input. I'm very reluctant to completely chop up the headlight buckets just for these lights even though they were what I was looking for. My plan was to eliminate the turn signals tucked up in the grille (stock) and have the amber light blink in the halo with the LED headlights. Since that doesn't seem like its going to work, I'm going to have to think about Plan B. I've seen more than one truck with a round amber light (some 3/4" and some larger) just below the headlight, but that means drilling a hole in the fender, which wasn't something I wanted to do. More thought and planning is required.

Old 06-05-2023, 09:39 AM   #8
leegreen

If you do decide to cut that headlight bucket up, check how the 'reflector' is supported for adjusting the headlight. I'd have to pull my headlights to check but I think that inner ring on the bucket supports the portion of the reflector held by springs.....so it may not be as simple as just cutting the bucket open.
Adjustability may not matter though with after market LEDs as they are probably just floodlights that annoy other drivers anyway (personal bias don't mind me)

GMCs had the park light under the headlight in fender, Chevrolet used the one in grill.

your plan to blink amber in headlight - does the headlight beam go off when that happens so the turn signal is visible?

I converted my in grill park lights to dual element with amber bulb so it is both park and turn, looks like 28tudorAZ may have done the same. I have sealed beams right now, but have a set of H4 shells on the shelf, past vehicles with 55/100 H4 were very drivable.
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 10:35 AM   #9
TX3100Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by leegreen View Post
If you do decide to cut that headlight bucket up, check how the 'reflector' is supported for adjusting the headlight. I'd have to pull my headlights to check but I think that inner ring on the bucket supports the portion of the reflector held by springs.....so it may not be as simple as just cutting the bucket open.
Adjustability may not matter though with after market LEDs as they are probably just floodlights that annoy other drivers anyway (personal bias don't mind me)

GMCs had the park light under the headlight in fender, Chevrolet used the one in grill.

your plan to blink amber in headlight - does the headlight beam go off when that happens so the turn signal is visible?

I converted my in grill park lights to dual element with amber bulb so it is both park and turn, looks like 28tudorAZ may have done the same. I have sealed beams right now, but have a set of H4 shells on the shelf, past vehicles with 55/100 H4 were very drivable.
I'm not going to be cutting the reflector bucket open (any further) and I'm definitely not going to be altering the black mounting bucket. That is too much destruction for my tastes.

As for the question about the turn signal, it is an amber halo ring, but since they aren't connected, I'm unsure of how bright the ring is versus the headlight itself and don't know if it flashes the headlight.....I guess I'll never know, they are boxed up and headed back today.

I'm still not sure how I will go with turn signals/parking lights, a dual element bulb sounds interesting, but don't know if I'll revert back to in the grille or look at the GMC method.......

I have enough irons in the fire for now, I'll decide when I get closer to that stage.

Old 06-05-2023, 11:01 AM   #10
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post

I've got a pair of Jeep headlights for it this time around but will have to go out and dig them out of the cabinet to tell exactly what they are.

i just put jeep lights in my 54, there is definitely some trimming of the headlight holder (not the bucket) but its not a lot. the jeep lights are deeper shallower, if that makes sense? the area at the ring is thicker top and bottom and the bulb area a little too, but I really like the fishbowl look!

edit: they were 10 bucks too, hard to beat that price for a DOT compliant beam pattern
Attached Images

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393

Last edited by joedoh; 06-05-2023 at 11:09 AM.
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 11:04 AM   #11
TX3100Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
i just put jeep lights in my 54, there is definitely some trimming of the headlight holder (not the bucket) but its not a lot. the jeep lights are deeper shallower, if that makes sense? the area at the ring is thicker top and bottom and the bulb area a little too, but I really like the fishbowl look!
When you say Jeep headlights. Are they normal elements, halogen, LED? Since I've already opened up the reflector (silver section that the bulb mounts to) I could fit a slightly deeper bulb, but if it won't fit into the black bowl that attaches to the fender then I'm not going to alter it.

Old 06-05-2023, 11:21 AM   #12
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX3100Guy View Post
When you say Jeep headlights. Are they normal elements, halogen, LED? Since I've already opened up the reflector (silver section that the bulb mounts to) I could fit a slightly deeper bulb, but if it won't fit into the black bowl that attaches to the fender then I'm not going to alter it.

jeep wranglers came/come with classic size 7" headlights that can be replaced just like old sealed beams do, but with replaceable H13 (high low) bulbs.

I am sure you can get any kind of led or HID replacement for them but the thing is, the reflectors of headlights are usually optimized for the light pattern of the H13 bulb and any replacement will "glare" (extra light where there wasnt extra light) which doesnt blind but does absolutely annoy.

if you look around for jeep LED headlights you can probably find some of the segmented alien eye/halo equipped lights for wranglers that may fit better. another one to look for is hummer H1, they had standard 7" lights too and they made a lot of aftermarket upgrades for them. I still have a set of sylvania xenarc 7" kicking around, those were GREAT lights.

Old 06-05-2023, 01:47 PM   #13
leegreen

If you google 'H4 headlights with turn signal' you will find options like this
https://www.cip1.ca/c11-31378/
or
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/u...MaAuEMEALw_wcB
or
https://www.gearheadworld.com/store/...12-P11164.aspx

the first link shows the back side and it appears may fit your current reflector cutout.

Not sure if the yellow LEDs would show up with the low beam on or if you'd need a way to turn off one headlight when the turn signals were on. -Without thinking too hard about it, I think you could do that with a time delay relay triggered by each turn signal and running the ground for that side headlight through the normally closed side of the relay, set a short delay like 2 turn flashes so the headlight ground interrupts whenever the turn signals go on but does not flash with the turn signal.
Old 06-05-2023, 01:50 PM   #14
TX3100Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by leegreen View Post
If you google 'H4 headlights with turn signal' you will find options like this
https://www.cip1.ca/c11-31378/
or
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/u...MaAuEMEALw_wcB
or
https://www.gearheadworld.com/store/...12-P11164.aspx

the first link shows the back side and it appears may fit your current reflector cutout.

Not sure if the yellow LEDs would show up with the low beam on or if you'd need a way to turn off one headlight when the turn signals were on. -Without thinking too hard about it, I think you could do that with a time delay relay triggered by each turn signal and running the ground for that side headlight through the normally closed side of the relay, set a short delay like 2 turn flashes so the headlight ground interrupts whenever the turn signals go on but does not flash with the turn signal.
Thanks for the work. I think I like the blue dot version at gear head world!

Old 06-05-2023, 04:32 PM   #15
TX3100Guy

After further discussion with my most critical truck critic (my son). I've decided to use the stock headlights for now and insert the chrome parking/turn signal light fixture into the grille.

My question is this, has anyone found a dual element bulb (or preferably LED) fixture that has an amber turn bulb, but clear parking element/bulb?

Old 06-05-2023, 05:03 PM   #16
leegreen

For Bulbs, the whole bulb is colored amber or clear.

For LEDs, google '1157 amber white LED' and you will find many options. How you tell if the LEDs are any good is another question.
I bought some moderately expensive and very well reviewed LED 1157 but they were noticeably dimmer than $1 old school 1157 bulbs. I'm running bulbs for now, may never change.

I like the look of amber park lights, looks kinda mean.
Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  40.9 KB
Old 06-05-2023, 05:16 PM   #17
leegreen

to add to that, you have to replace the bulb holder in the front lights if they are still single element park only from factory, or buy repops that are already dual element
Old 06-05-2023, 05:29 PM   #18
joedoh

the term for led lights you are looking for is "switchback", white running light and amber turn.

a quick seach of switchback 1157 turned up this

Old 06-05-2023, 05:37 PM   #19
TX3100Guy

Quote:
the term for led lights you are looking for is "switchback", white running light and amber turn.

Thanks I just ordered them and new sockets with two contacts instead of one.

Old 06-05-2023, 06:53 PM   #20
mr48chev

Well I don't have Jeep lights for the 48 I have Toyota 7 inch H-4 conversion lights by Koito that have the harness and relays with them. https://cruiserteq.com/oem-toyota-ko...-elec81110kit/

Some might not like them because they are flat across the front and have square shoulder about 1/2 inch out from where the ring holds them.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 08:04 PM   #21
leegreen

the style bulb joedoh linked works best if the projector end faces oncoming traffic. The socket location inside the shallow park housing is something like 45 degrees, so to get best results you probably need to make the housing deeper so you can aim that LED properly.

Or find a amber/white SMD LED panel in the right dimensions and a reliable driver circuit

Or solder on the new socket, stick a bulb in it and call it done for now .....
Old 06-06-2023, 10:52 AM   #22
28TudorAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX3100Guy View Post
After further discussion with my most critical truck critic (my son). I've decided to use the stock headlights for now and insert the chrome parking/turn signal light fixture into the grille.

My question is this, has anyone found a dual element bulb (or preferably LED) fixture that has an amber turn bulb, but clear parking element/bulb?
I modified the housing and put two small LED Bulbs in it. I bought the pigtails off ebay if I remember correctly. I screwed/sealed a flat piece of metal with the two holes that I drilled out to accept the LED bulbs to the back. I wish I would have taken a picture.

Project "LS Scout" https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=844133
28TudorAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 10:59 AM   #23
TX3100Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28TudorAZ View Post
I modified the housing and put two small LED Bulbs in it. I bought the pigtails off ebay if I remember correctly. I screwed/sealed a flat piece of metal with the two holes that I drilled out to accept the LED bulbs to the back. I wish I would have taken a picture.
After realizing that the LED's I purchased on Amazon were projector style (I missed that), I plan on returning them. Instead, I purchased a set switchback style that are non-projector style off of SuperBrightLEDs.com. I've bought from them before and have always been happy with their products.

Old 10-16-2023, 05:00 PM   #24
lgh1157

Quote:

Hey, just so I'm understanding this correctly
Are you are using the stock, headlight bucket and reflector, but using the actual headlight from the Jeep ( adding the LED bulb and harness later ) ?
I am missing the headlight bucket and reflector on the passenger side of my truck , so I guess I need to get these pieces first

TIA
lgh1157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 09:16 AM   #25
mobileortho

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Some might not like them because they are flat across the front and have square shoulder about 1/2 inch out from where the ring holds them.
I have a set of these, love how much brighter they are, but definitely don't like the squared shoulder. Planning to swap them for something else, just don't know which ones at the moment.

1950 3600
3600 re-do, shortening it up

If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes,"
I'm a Genius in the making.
mobileortho is offline   Reply With Quote