The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2020, 12:46 AM   #1
davecarney2

seat belts in a 59

What are you all running for seat belts in your 2nd series. Wanting to put them in my 59. Pictures would be greatly appreciated. Being that there is no upper mount how did you go about that?

Thanks in advance
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592878
davecarney2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:36 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: seat belts in a 59

I'd suggest new from Juliano's or another respected seat belt mfg.

When we put the belts in my 48 after my wife fell out when the door flew open on her we used donor belts and used lengths of 2 inch flat bar under the floor board to spread any pull on them over a wide area. They won't pull out of the floor no matter what. That was 41 years ago when I was as broke as a church mouse though.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:19 AM   #3
nvrdone

im not sure about your '59 but we just put a set of Juliano's belts in my'49. quality is great with good instructions. so far im happy. I tried the mix & match thing & found that every brand and model car has different latches & buckles. you might find a set out of a late model truck, but id be hesitant to use a used belt.
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:53 AM   #4
Rickysnickers

So, on a related subject. My '57 is a large back window model. There's little room between the back window and the door. Anybody with this body type use 3 point seatbelts? If so, how did you mount them?
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 02:00 PM   #5
Driver_WT

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecarney2 View Post
What are you all running for seat belts in your 2nd series. Wanting to put them in my 59. Pictures would be greatly appreciated. Being that there is no upper mount how did you go about that?

Thanks in advance
We welded in a backing plate for shoulder belt mounting point between the back window and the door in our 53 Chevy Truck. We made backing plates that looked like this https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/i-304...SADEgKkevD_BwE

Then drill a hole in the interior sheet metal panel in the corner where the shoulder belt mounting point will be, fish the plates up through the space between interior and exterior sheet metal, then tack weld backing plates in place.

Then you buy a set of seat belts from a number of places. We also reinforced the floor where the seat belt retractor and center end of seat belt will bolt through the floor.

Sorry, not near my truck for a few months, so no pics to share.

You can also get seats from around a 2006 Silverado that have seat belts and shoulder belts built into the seat, but the seats are quite large. I tried those for my AD but they were going to be too big for what we wanted.

Wade
Old 01-14-2020, 03:15 PM   #6
MD2020

55-59 driver side
for a nut on the back side

Above your left shoulder.
welded a nut on the back side of the plate
[[[[(<-----Cut a radius (concave)on a 2 x 6 board and hammered the plate until it fit the body line.

Last edited by MD2020; 01-14-2020 at 03:21 PM.
MD2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:55 PM   #7
dsraven

how about seats with integral belts that are engineered to take the stress of impact. on big back window units the amount of metal there between the glass is minimal. on small back window trucks there is more metal but questionable strength in my opinion. I have cut apart many many vehicles in my career and know the metal behind the seat belt anchor points is a lot bigger than the area between the windows of a small window truck and it is usually placed somewhere more structurally strong than mid panel.
up to you but make it solid enough to withstand an impact from collision, otherwise all the belts do is keep your body inside the structure, sometimes.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:49 PM   #8
MD2020

Quote dsraven"on small back window trucks there is more metal but questionable strength in my opinion"
What I have in those pictures is more than enough.
30 Years of Metal Fabrication.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:10 AM   #9
Dan in Pasadena

I put Juliano's shoulder belts in my '55 big window.

No, there isn't a lot of metal there. It's a number of layers of sheet metal. I opened it up, welded in a layer of 1/8" metal strap with a lug nut and replaced the sheet metal. Good enough? Well, as good as you're gonna get. My face, nose or teeth won't meet the steering wheel or metal dash unless it's a very serious hit.

Face it, if we get in a truly serious accident in these 60 year old trucks we ARE going to get hurt. Much more so than in a modern pickup truck. No collapsing steering column or front architecture. The engine isn't going to be driven under the cab, it's going be driven into us! If you still have the gas tank in the cab with you, well...UGH...think of Paul Walker's death.
Attached Images

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:53 AM   #10
BlouDon

Having purchased myself a '59, I'm also very interested in this topic.
Attached Images

Chev: '70 C10 (350 V8 / 700R4 ) & '59 Apache ( 235, 3-sp )
Jensen Interceptor '74: Mopar 440(EFI'ed) / 4L60e
Jaguar: '72 E-type Coupe V12 & '74 E-type V12 Convertible & '80 XJS V12
BlouDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 12:19 PM   #11
Rickysnickers

You always offer very good advise and help. I have looked at the Silverado seats and they are just too big, in my opinion, for the cab of my truck. I wish some of the aftermarket seat manufacturers would offer a reasonably price seat with integrated belt option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
how about seats with integral belts that are engineered to take the stress of impact. on big back window units the amount of metal there between the glass is minimal. on small back window trucks there is more metal but questionable strength in my opinion. I have cut apart many many vehicles in my career and know the metal behind the seat belt anchor points is a lot bigger than the area between the windows of a small window truck and it is usually placed somewhere more structurally strong than mid panel.
up to you but make it solid enough to withstand an impact from collision, otherwise all the belts do is keep your body inside the structure, sometimes.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:27 PM   #12
Johns327

Dave,
The “B” column on the TF big windows suck. What Dan did is a great option but it’s not a bolt in. The belt in the seat, easy but you see it in the back window and the seats are big. I saw one option with race belts attached to the panel behind the seat, a lot of buckling involved when you put it on/off.

I’m facing the same problem, my cab is painted and my window is installed, goofing with either of these is not popular with me.

If you search this site on this subject you’ll run across some pretty good articles on this.

Dan, could you show a couple of pictures on yours installed. I’m curious how far up the column you went. The Juliano site said “until comfortable” but I am worried that really high up may not leave enough strap to go around the gut, LOL.

I’ve attached some data that shows the folded up mess that makes up the colum.

John
Old 01-16-2020, 10:36 PM   #13
Johns327

Dang forgot them and they are rotated dang it.
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2020, 12:04 PM   #14
idbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns327 View Post
Dave,
The “B” column on the TF big windows suck. What Dan did is a great option but it’s not a bolt in. The belt in the seat, easy but you see it in the back window and the seats are big. I saw one option with race belts attached to the panel behind the seat, a lot of buckling involved when you put it on/off.

I’m facing the same problem, my cab is painted and my window is installed, goofing with either of these is not popular with me.

If you search this site on this subject you’ll run across some pretty good articles on this.

Dan, could you show a couple of pictures on yours installed. I’m curious how far up the column you went. The Juliano site said “until comfortable” but I am worried that really high up may not leave enough strap to go around the gut, LOL.

I’ve attached some data that shows the folded up mess that makes up the colum.

John
John, I copied Dan's idea, mine are half way up on the "B" column. If you look at the last picture that puts the belt at the bottom of my skull when I'm seated in the truck.
Attached Images

idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 01:03 PM   #15
Johns327

ibeast,

Thanks, yes I believe what you and Dan did is probably about the strongest you can make that big window mount in a TF truck. Like Dan said these are old trucks, only so much can be done for safety.

At that level, how is the slack in the shoulder for leaning over, like to get to the radio, etc.? Is that one of those Juliano belt kits?

John
Old 01-17-2020, 03:58 PM   #16
idbeast

Quote:
ibeast,

Thanks, yes I believe what you and Dan did is probably about the strongest you can make that big window mount in a TF truck. Like Dan said these are old trucks, only so much can be done for safety.

At that level, how is the slack in the shoulder for leaning over, like to get to the radio, etc.? Is that one of those Juliano belt kits?

John

Slack is fine, except when trying to play in the glove box! These seat belts are actually for 64-75 GM Models 3-Point Seat Belts, they are actually extremely close interior sized to our trucks. They are not Juiano's however they look identical and have a better mounting hardware selection.
Classic Industries Seatbelts
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2020, 04:36 PM   #17
Johns327

ibeast,
Thanks again for the data and picture.
I had to chuckle when you said the glove box. I have no reason to ever bother opening mine, vintage air made sure of that. But the controls are something I need to be able to reach.

I took Dans and your pictures out to see where I’d mark it at. My biggest problem the back glass is installed. I have to say removing that (and the reinstallation) scare the poop out of me. I had the body shop that painted my truck put in both the back and front glass. I’ve broke that windshield in my past and I get the shakes just thinking about it.

John
Old 01-18-2020, 12:29 AM   #18
idbeast

Quote:
ibeast,
Thanks again for the data and picture.
I had to chuckle when you said the glove box. I have no reason to ever bother opening mine, vintage air made sure of that. But the controls are something I need to be able to reach.

I took Dans and your pictures out to see where I’d mark it at. My biggest problem the back glass is installed. I have to say removing that (and the reinstallation) scare the poop out of me. I had the body shop that painted my truck put in both the back and front glass. I’ve broke that windshield in my past and I get the shakes just thinking about it.

John
John, I'd say that the glass needs to come out, I wouldn't have tried it with the glass in there. Have a body shop or a glass shop take it out and reinstall it!

Jim W
Old 01-18-2020, 12:35 AM   #19
idbeast

MD2020...
Here are a couple of the pictures you asked about I'll get you some more of what you want next weekend.
Jim W
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2020, 01:59 AM   #20
davecarney2

so in the meantime I know its not as safe as a 3 point but suggestions on lap belts? Anyone put 4 point harnesses in? Maybe a bar behind the seat with a 4 point might be another option. Anyone have pictures of that set up?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592878
davecarney2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 02:24 AM   #21
BBPanel

I did a 4-point (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=678817) - I inserted a steel bar just below the window line to attach mounting points to. I don't think it was very well received (in post above) but its probably no safer or worse than any other mounting point - but that's something you have to decide for yourself. Here are a couple of pics:
Name:  IMG_2760.jpg
Views: 1317
Size:  32.0 KB Name:  IMG_3603.jpg
Views: 1334
Size:  44.8 KB
BBPanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 09:52 AM   #22
MD2020

Cool, Thanks idbeast
Old 01-20-2020, 11:38 PM   #23
Driver_WT

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecarney2 View Post
so in the meantime I know its not as safe as a 3 point but suggestions on lap belts? Anyone put 4 point harnesses in? Maybe a bar behind the seat with a 4 point might be another option. Anyone have pictures of that set up?
I believe it is best if the shoulder belt mount is at the height of the top of your shoulder or within 4" below this point. See second page here http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/s...eat_belts.html

This is for a race car, but I am thinking street vehicle would be similar.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:37 AM   #24
BlouDon

My truck now has seat 3-point retractable belts - for what they may be worth....

I slid up a 8" length of L-shaped bracket, 3/8" thick steel behind the inner shell of the B-pillar and bolted the shoulder bracket to it through a hole drilled through the inner shell. I did this close to where the inner shell is welded to the outer, in the hope of having sufficient strength there. Floor items mounted as per pics.
Attached Images

Chev: '70 C10 (350 V8 / 700R4 ) & '59 Apache ( 235, 3-sp )
Jensen Interceptor '74: Mopar 440(EFI'ed) / 4L60e
Jaguar: '72 E-type Coupe V12 & '74 E-type V12 Convertible & '80 XJS V12
BlouDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:47 PM   #25
BIGglaSS

Belts from Julianos

Brackets are made from 3/16" steel and grade 8 bolts.I fished the brackets up through the pillar.

On the floor:

From the underside: