The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2011, 05:30 PM   #1
iamseth

oil pressure sudden drop

My 400 bigblk has never had low oil pressure. The gauge has no numbers so ill refer to it like the gas gauge: Idle: 1/4 full, Driving (highway): 3/4 full. Until today... This morning, after accumulating about 2 inches of snow in AUSTIN, TX last night, oil pressure was fine. Then when I left work around 2:30, oil pressure was at 1/4 full while driving and all the way to empty while idling.

Should I be fretting over this? I recently switched to 20w/50 oil. Could this be the problem?

I've read a few posts about this issue, I'm just a little concerned about the sudden drop, that's all.
iamseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:46 PM   #2
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Re: oil pressure sudden drop

Did you check the oil after it dropped? No oil pressure would freak me out and I personally wouldn't drive it until it's fixed...even if it is just the gauge/sending unit. The damage risk is too high and my pockets aren't that deep.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #3
dan76

ditto /\

Did you rev it right after start up? With the heavier oil, the cam might be wiped due to having insufficient pressure due to the cold temps.

Get a mechanical gauge on it to check for oil pressure. Hopefully it's just a gauge problem.
dan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
71 super

Sounds like at best low oil level, worst bearing going way south
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:13 PM   #5
Frkypunk70

When my oil pressure dropped like that, the cam was wiped and the lifters, one lifter had a hole worn right through the bottom. I would take a valve cover off and check the rocker arms and or push rods are going up. If no or little movement I would assume the same that happened to me. Not trying to scare you but its easy to check. By the way if it is, rebuild the whole engine. I tried to just replace the cam and lifters and ended up blowing it in a couple of months anyway. Time and money wasted.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:27 PM   #6
iamseth

The oil is full, I just drove around the block, this is what happened:

Park: it's around "1/4 full"
Idle in gear: sits just above the "low" line
Driving 30mph: sits around "1/4-1/2"
Driving 60mph: sits at "1/2" and goes up with mph from there.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:02 PM   #7
cdowns

i'd look at where the oil line for the gauge comes out of the block and see if it maybe got kinked or broken maybe leaking

but with those readings i really wouldn't b overly concerned
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY

Last edited by cdowns; 02-04-2011 at 07:06 PM.
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:29 PM   #8
grandfisher

I've just experienced the same problem on my 1990 TBI truck. I built the motor 3 years ago and it's been a great engine. Usually my oil pressure is 30 PSI at an idle and much more under throttle. A couple days ago, I noticed a significant drop in pressure. It's gotten worse the last couple days. At first I thought it might possibly be the 0-20 degree temperatures were experiencing here, but it has gotten worse. Today, I had 7-8 PSI at an idle and 15 PSI under throttle. Not good. It's parked until I've got time to fix it.
One side of my exhaust has been making a "chirping" sound for the last several months. I have no exhaust leaks anywhere. No brackets that are loose or vibrating. I'm thinking it might be in the head or the glass pack has somehow ruptured. Maybe the chirping and the PSI drop are related somehow. Luckily, I have a spare 4x4.
3:73 gears/rear posi
grandfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:46 PM   #9
iamseth

btw, the truck is running fine. My carb needs to be overhauled, but other than that.... I haven't noticed any difference in performance. I'm going to get a mechanical gauge tomorrow and check it out.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:22 PM   #10
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamseth View Post
btw, the truck is running fine. My carb needs to be overhauled, but other than that.... I haven't noticed any difference in performance. I'm going to get a mechanical gauge tomorrow and check it out.

I agree with putting a different guage on it before jumping to any conclusions as long as you have no unusual clatter.. Also with the cold could the viscosity be a little high?

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:12 PM   #11
iamseth

you know, when i pulled the dip stick to check the oil, it actually seemed kinda of thin... Though I had just gotten off the highway. I am using 20w50.

What sounds/performance issues should I be looking for, if this is a bigger problem?
Old 02-04-2011, 10:27 PM   #12
Frkypunk70

Sound wise for cam/lifters it will pop back through the carb.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:04 PM   #13
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frkypunk70 View Post
Sound wise for cam/lifters it will pop back through the carb.
never had that issue with any of my wiped cams.

I'd change the oil, I'd also ditch that thick stuff too. All you're doing is working the pump harder than you need to, and it just takes that much longer for the engine to get oil when you get it fired up.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:11 AM   #14
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
never had that issue with any of my wiped cams.

I'd change the oil, I'd also ditch that thick stuff too. All you're doing is working the pump harder than you need to, and it just takes that much longer for the engine to get oil when you get it fired up.
I've never wiped a cam, but to me the other quote about popping back thru the carb seems like a timing issue..

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 02-06-2011, 11:47 AM   #15
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

If you lose an exhaust lobe to the point that it barely opens, you can get a backfire through the carburetor....but like Andy said, they don't all sound like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:06 PM   #16
Frkypunk70

Here are some pics of my cam,lifters and what I think was the culprit for the premature wear.http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/a...mk1/cam002.jpg[IMG][/IMG] The last pic is a oil galley plug from front of the block I found in the oil pan. I guess it was'nt properly staked.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:08 PM   #17
Frkypunk70

Sorry here is other pic
Old 02-06-2011, 01:32 PM   #18
grandfisher

I replaced the oil pressure switch on my truck today and my pressure is back to normal. That's a relief.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:41 PM   #19
iamseth

I'm trying to change the oil pressure sending unit, but I can't find it! Gah lee....
Old 02-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #20
grandfisher

It's just to the right (driver's side) of the distributor at the back of the block. They can be hard to get to. You might have to pull your distributor for clearance. I barely had enough room, but I have a small cap distributor. Also, the sending unit is threaded into a 90 or sometimes a 45 degree brass elbow fitting. Be careful not to twist it off!
Old 02-06-2011, 09:53 PM   #21
iamseth

I found the hole on the back of the block, under the distributer. There's nothing there. THen I followed to copper tubing from the firewall and it leads directly above the oil filter. No where, is there an oil pressure sending unit..... I swear i've looked everywhere, but now it's dark and it'll have to wait until tomorrow.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:34 PM   #22
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamseth View Post
I found the hole on the back of the block, under the distributer. There's nothing there. THen I followed to copper tubing from the firewall and it leads directly above the oil filter. No where, is there an oil pressure sending unit..... I swear i've looked everywhere, but now it's dark and it'll have to wait until tomorrow.
If you have a copper wire (tube actually) hanging dowm by the oil filter and a oil pressure guage in the dash then the copper pipe should go into a hole in the back of the block just behind the distributor, cant remember if its on top or behind the back of the block, something tells me its on the top. Or there may be a different oil port hole somewhere down by the filter ( cant remember exactly on a 400 were talking about) But that said the copper tube would go into a brass fitting that is screwed into the block and should have a ferrell ring around the tube that the female threadded cap would be held on by.

If you have a copper tube then you have a mechanical pressure guage.

An oil pressure sending unit would be on an electrical pressure guage and use electrical wires.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's

Last edited by swamp rat; 02-06-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:45 PM   #23
iamseth

ok, so i have a mechanical gauge because the copper tubing goes straight down and connects to a port just above the oil filter. Should I replace the gauge then, to see if I get a better pressure reading? How about replacing the tubing as well?
Old 02-06-2011, 11:14 PM   #24
swamp rat

I'd just buy a different guage and screw it into the block for test purposes to see if your stock guage is bad or not. Most pressure guages come with a new tube but i think you can get them without, regardless the cost of a tube wouldn't be much more. EDIT: to add, its very opossible the threads on the new guage may not be the same as the stocker so ya may need that tube and fittings anyway.

Its possible the tube could be clogged but not too likely, all the oil gallies recive oil after it passes thru the filter, the only exception to that would be if there was a clogged filter then the oil would flow thru the bypass.

You can if you want unhook the tube from the pressure guage and secure it into a containor to see if oil pumps out when you turn the engine over, but i'd just unhook the coil and bump the starter, otherwise it could get messy if your not carful. just remember that when you unscrew the tube to the guage under the dash its gonna dribble oil allover so have a bunch of rags around.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's

Last edited by swamp rat; 02-06-2011 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:53 AM   #25
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

On a big block (which the OP has) the standard place for the oil pressure sending unit, or tubing for a mechanical gauge, is on the side of the block just above the oil filter.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote