The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2009, 11:55 PM   #26
sailed2japan
Jonny

Re: Performance brake parts? I wanna stop!

I have 285/75r16 (33x11.5) on my 3/4 ton and it will lock them up if you hit them hard enough. I've also pulled a trailer with a half ton long bed on it and no trailer brakes and didn't have any troubles. It didn't stop on a dime, but definately stopped well enough to be safe going down the road.

I am running hydroboost and crappy duralast pads (I was broke and needed brakes). I'd say that any of you who hate your brakes either have a problem of some kind in your sytem or need to switch to hydrboost.

If you have a D60 and want upgrade your brakes with off the shelf parts, you can swtch the outers to Ford and from what I've been told they have twin piston calipers and larger rotors.

Edit: I forgot to mention, If you switch over to rear discs you also need to install a disc/disc master cylinder and proportioning valve. I'm sure you guys who have done it know this, but since I hadn't seen it brought up in this thread before I figured I would. Now as far as where to get one, I don't know. I know that the 88-98 3500HD's (the ones with a straight front axle) used hydroboost and had a disc/disc set-up with a either a Dana 70hd or 80 which it was illudes me at the moment. You may be able to use that master with the 73-87 booster. this is an avanue I was looking to explore.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve is someone who, at one time in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
-AEC Hundley USNR

Last edited by sailed2japan; 11-27-2009 at 02:07 AM.
sailed2japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:19 PM   #27
jeffspower
Well, Whoop-dee-do!

I'm pretty set on going ahead with a hydroboost setup on my '72 K20. I junked out a '77 C30 about 6 years ago. A friend still has the remains. I checked it yesterday and the HB is still there. It was working when I junked it out, so it should still be good.

Probably be a while until I get 'round toit though

'72 K20 500 Cad/TH400/NP205 SOLD

'92 Chevy 2500 6.5 mech TD 4L80E crusty daily driver

'72 Monte Carlo... sweet low mile toy

'11 Dodge Challenger IE 392 6spd... midlife car
jeffspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:46 PM   #28
ghettoluxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailed2japan View Post
I forgot to mention, If you switch over to rear discs you also need to install a disc/disc master cylinder and proportioning valve. I'm sure you guys who have done it know this, but since I hadn't seen it brought up in this thread before I figured I would. Now as far as where to get one, I don't know. I know that the 88-98 3500HD's (the ones with a straight front axle) used hydroboost and had a disc/disc set-up with a either a Dana 70hd or 80 which it was illudes me at the moment. You may be able to use that master with the 73-87 booster. this is an avanue I was looking to explore.
There is no need to change out the master cylinder or prop valve when giong to rear disc, unless the truck was originaly equipted with drum brakes all the way around. GM used the same prop valve and master for both setups on the square bodies.

1949 Five Window, 1973 Step Side, 2000 Z71
ghettoluxury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:43 PM   #29
57NAPCO
F’B’D guy

We finally changed out the gear box (too much slop) rag joint, master cylinder and brake booster today. I upgraded to a 1 ton master and booster and the change out was quite simple until I got to the P valve lines that run to the master. After much thought I went to NAPA and bought some straight tubing and ran new lines. The truck is a 72 1/2 ton 4X4 short box with the original brake system in it. Just checking in...I will know the full extent of the 1 ton upgrade later.
57NAPCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:17 PM   #30
edge

i'm gonna go along with the 1ton M/C & booster on my K10 with 35's. it needs both of these now, so i'm gonna look into it.
edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:33 PM   #31
jeffspower
Well, Whoop-dee-do!

Wilwood came out with "bolt on" dual piston calipers. Uses the original style pads and hardware.

http://www.wilwood.com/CaliperList.a...0Dual%20Piston
Attached Images

'72 K20 500 Cad/TH400/NP205 SOLD

'92 Chevy 2500 6.5 mech TD 4L80E crusty daily driver

'72 Monte Carlo... sweet low mile toy

'11 Dodge Challenger IE 392 6spd... midlife car
jeffspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:44 PM   #32
Rede

Those look pretty nice.

Why do they offer the two different piston diameters, yet as far as I can tell, the rest of the stats remain the same? (besides rotor width)

Also, what would you look for when buying rotors at your local store/shop if you converted the rear drums to rotors.... or are these just front rotor replacements and I've spent too much time in the -32F weather this morning??

Last edited by Rede; 12-12-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Rede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:29 PM   #33
ghettoluxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rede View Post
Those look pretty nice.

Why do they offer the two different piston diameters, yet as far as I can tell, the rest of the stats remain the same? (besides rotor width)

Also, what would you look for when buying rotors at your local store/shop if you converted the rear drums to rotors.... or are these just front rotor replacements and I've spent too much time in the -32F weather this morning??
You just buy the front rotors and place them on the rear

1949 Five Window, 1973 Step Side, 2000 Z71
ghettoluxury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:30 PM   #34
Rede

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettoluxury View Post
You just buy the front rotors and place them on the rear
But... That's... too simple for a guy like me.
I need somethink insanely complex and over my head. Something, manly! (actually this is just a week attempt at a recovery for asking a silly question)
Rede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:37 PM   #35
mud slut 350

Was browsing old posts for Sh*ts and gigs and found this one was wonderin if ya ever fixeds the brake "problem" I have an 82 and runnin 35" tires and im not sayin itll stop on a dime but she can stop as well as is expected from a truck of its size and I can lock up the fronts easily with only one foot pressin the brake. maybe your booster was weak? or had a master cyl leaking internally?

2007 cbr 1000rr
mud slut 350 is offline   Reply With Quote