The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-22-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
C20-67_N_MO
Champagne Taste on Beer Budget

Re: Saddle tanks on a Fleetside?

Interesting.

I would like to possibly do this as I too would like to have my spare under the bed not in it.

Seems like if you find an 80's series truck that has them in the junk yard it would be a fairly straight toward swap. But I could be wrong.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:00 AM   #2
Crabass

Re: Saddle tanks on a Fleetside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by C20-67_N_MO View Post
Interesting.

I would like to possibly do this as I too would like to have my spare under the bed not in it.

Seems like if you find an 80's series truck that has them in the junk yard it would be a fairly straight toward swap. But I could be wrong.
I have a '87 sb fleetside with factory twin tanks and a tank selector switch on the dash. I've had the driver's side out to replace a bad fuel pump, and after that exercise I started contemplating a conversion to the same setup on my '71 3/4t 4wd long bed. Found an '86 parts truck with the twin tank setup so I got the whole system (the tanks are hung from heavy brackets bolted to the frame). To the point, it ain't gonna be easy or pretty doing it this way. The tank dimensions for the later gen trucks don't match up well at all on the earlier trucks. Another consideration is that you have to have the bed side filler doors grafted in to be able to fill the tanks.
Crabass is offline   Reply With Quote