The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2012, 12:29 AM   #1
82Cecil

Starting over. Rear end advice please

Never been totally happy with my Auburn Pro Limited slip. Slip is not so limited and both tires pulling is.

I have an 82 C10 8.5 10 bolt 2"/4" drop, ladder bars and 275/50-15s M/T drag radials. The engine is a stock 6.0 swap and will only make more of a traction issue down the road. I have to deal with this now.

I probably got more than one thing to deal with getting proper traction, but getting both tires to pull at the same time is where I would like to begin.

Before I sink any more money in a locker or spool, (the Auburn will come out), I would like to get a rearend that going to be there as hp increases.

What is a 600 hp durable rear end that I don't have to be a fab expert to install? What is the hp limit for a 10 bolt?

Thanks for your help.
82Cecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
TheCustomFactory

Re: Starting over. Rear end advice please

10 bolts take lots of money to make strong. 9inch is the way to go.
TheCustomFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82Cecil View Post
Never been totally happy with my Auburn Pro Limited slip. Slip is not so limited and both tires pulling is.

I have an 82 C10 8.5 10 bolt 2"/4" drop, ladder bars and 275/50-15s M/T drag radials. The engine is a stock 6.0 swap and will only make more of a traction issue down the road. I have to deal with this now.

I probably got more than one thing to deal with getting proper traction, but getting both tires to pull at the same time is where I would like to begin.

Before I sink any more money in a locker or spool, (the Auburn will come out), I would like to get a rearend that going to be there as hp increases.

What is a 600 hp durable rear end that I don't have to be a fab expert to install? What is the hp limit for a 10 bolt?

Thanks for your help.
Wow! It sounds like you got more out of that 10-bolt than most...they just do not hold up to drag slicks. Running slicks and high horsepower will require a significantly built reared (either 12-bolt or Ford 9-inch). Several providers offer bolt in units in both.
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #4
82Cecil

A bolt in 4 link 9" would be great but, I don't know if they are available for an early eighties C 10. I would imagine that most folks are doing the shortening and other details on their own right?

I don't mind learning what other folks already know, I just can't afford to do this trial and error $$$.

Thanks again for the advice.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:59 PM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Typically when upgrading a rear differential in a situation like yours, a custom build differential is necessary to fit your particular truck, with the tires and wheels you will be running. With the correct measurements, a custom built differential can usually be ordered from one of the Vendors that specialize in chassis and suspension, or differentials. Finding someone elses used differential that will work in your truck the way you want it to, would be pure luck.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:56 AM   #6
82Cecil

Ok thanks. I'll get in touch with one of them, and see what they offer. thanks everyone for the help.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:59 AM   #7
mud.man.rj

We race my buddy's old Gm and even a 12 bolt didn't hold up well so he installed a 9" and no problems with the B block.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:17 AM   #8
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

I used a 79 f150 housing. And narrowed it 2 1/8 on the long end to center the pinion. Fit nice on my 73 c 10
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #9
82Cecil

Other than shortening the one end I supose you just lay them side by side and weld the old/new mounts to the F150 rear end so it can be bolted in your truck? Maybe not that staight forward, but something close to it.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #10
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

All i did to narrow it was gring the weld and push it in. Low budget yes function high. Bought the parts on ebay for the center section. Ex nascar stuff. Axles from Moser. All done about 1400$

Bought new axle pads. Cut all pads and shock brackets off.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #11
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

All i did to narrow it was gring the weld and push it in. Low budget yes function high. Bought the parts on ebay for the center section. Ex nascar stuff. Axles from Moser. All done about 1400$

Bought new axle pads. Cut all pads and shock brackets off.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-04-2012, 08:18 PM   #12
BigDan3131

Posi type units were never meant for drag racing IMO, fine for the street and strip route but nothing more. I was going to order the Moser 12 bolt for my El Camino but the out the door price was like $3300.00 with 35 spline axles and that new Wavetrak diff. I then went to Strange and found I could get a S60 with the D Locker same gears for $2500.00. I can live with an extra 20ish pounds if I save 500 bucks...
BigDan3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:51 PM   #13
dbmx66

i run a narrowed 12 bolt, with moser axles, c-clip elims, and a moser spool with richmond gears. cost wasnt outrageous to build it, but idk what you price range is.

but i seems like the 9 inch is the way to go. you could also run a dana 60, but if your worried about weight, get a 9 inch
dbmx66 is offline   Reply With Quote