The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-19-2024, 11:27 PM   #151
Roostre

Re: Roostre's 1967 C20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmack91 View Post
While my bodyworking skills are way behind most here, they are better than the PO. When I got the truck, it was missing both the inner and outer rockers. Fortunately, the PO replaced them with 2x4s. He did color match them though.
Wow, I wish my PO had used 2x4s. My rockers are roofing tin pop riveted over the rust then covered over with bondo. A great way to ensure the rust thrives!

As I've said before, my body skills aren't much, especially compared to the talented people here. I enjoy seeing what I can accomplish with what I have at my disposal. I'm not going for perfect, just stop the rust and then good enough.
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 01:23 AM   #152
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
While my bodyworking skills are way behind most here, they are better than the PO. When I got the truck, it was missing both the inner and outer rockers. Fortunately, the PO replaced them with 2x4s. He did color match them though.
2X4s. What an artist. The PO of my '71 GMC Jimmy used 4x4 wood blocks to mount Camaro bucket seats in that truck.

As for rocker panels -- they are about rotted out on my '68 C/10 Stepside. I have zero body work skills. At one point I thought it was a good idea to shoot expanding aerosol foam into the cavities, hoping the foam would shut out moisture. The foam, when set up was very porous, so it had the opposite effect.
Oh well. I have owned this truck since 1973, so I can't diss the PO for that.
At least I had the fun of splashing the truck in the surf on both coasts -- Malibu and Daytona -- when I was younger.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 09:26 AM   #153
raggedjim

Nice work on the cab corner. Sometimes the slide hammer can make a huge difference.

Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 09:56 AM   #154
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
OH MAN! You can't bring that up without pictures!
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 12:25 PM   #155
dagnabbitt

I really enjoy following your build, it is a pretty similar project to my 68: ie it also came with no box and has identical rust issues. Seeing new posts always gets me fired up to work on mine.

I have been looking for that Navajo White paint you use for about 2 years now. Can't find it in Canada, may have to order it in.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 01:18 PM   #156
Roostre

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagnabbitt View Post
I really enjoy following your build, it is a pretty similar project to my 68: ie it also came with no box and has identical rust issues. Seeing new posts always gets me fired up to work on mine.

I have been looking for that Navajo White paint you use for about 2 years now. Can't find it in Canada, may have to order it in.
Thanks, it's therapeutic to know that others feel my pain!

I just ordered a case of the Navajo White off of Amazon because it's getting harder to find in stores around here. I can't help but wonder if Rustoleum isn't working on discontinuing, or at least renaming it. I painted my roof with it over the weekend, the weather was almost warm enough to make it work. Pictures will be coming in the next few days. I need to put the passenger's door back on to get a good idea of if I like it or not.
Old 02-20-2024, 07:45 PM   #157
Roostre

Like I said in an earlier post, I had the day off and it was almost warm enough yesterday to do some painting. I've been tossing around the idea of painting my roof with the Navajo White that I've been doing my grill trim with. So I broke out the sander and went to town. I figured I wouldn't be out much if I didn't like it and had to scuff and paint it when I paint the rest of the truck.

I took the masking off today and reinstalled the passenger's door to get an idea of what it will look like. Remember the red will be a satin color.

I think it turned out pretty well.

Also, I love the chain hoist in my new to me shop!
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2024, 08:19 PM   #158
raggedjim

I like it, nice job.

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 08:22 PM   #159
Roostre

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
I like it, nice job.
Thanks. I think the fresh paint is the kick I need to make more progress, specifically the floor replacement.
Old 02-20-2024, 08:34 PM   #160
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostre View Post
Like I said in an earlier post, I had the day off and it was almost warm enough yesterday to do some painting. I've been tossing around the idea of painting my roof with the Navajo White that I've been doing my grill trim with. So I broke out the sander and went to town. I figured I wouldn't be out much if I didn't like it and had to scuff and paint it when I paint the rest of the truck.
I took the masking off today and reinstalled the passenger's door to get an idea of what it will look like. Remember the red will be a satin color.

I think it turned out pretty well.

Also, I love the chain hoist in my new to me shop!
Looks good -- especially with the small rear window.
More Navajo White.
What does the grille look like?

Old 02-20-2024, 08:42 PM   #161
Roostre

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
Looks good -- especially with the small rear window.
More Navajo White.
What does the grille look like?
I haven't gotten the grill put back together yet, I need to paint the red. I think there is a picture earlier in this thread where I set the trim in the grill.

I'm really liking the Navajo White. I painted the trim pieces and now the roof with it. I just need to paint the bumpers now. I also painted the door frame of my shop with it. I needed a can of paint, and it was handy.

I also like the small window. That's why I started looking for a 67 in particular.
Old 02-20-2024, 08:45 PM   #162
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
I haven't gotten the grill put back together yet, I need to paint the red. I think there is a picture earlier in this thread where I set the trim in the grill.

I'm really liking the Navajo White. I painted the trim pieces and now the roof with it. I just need to paint the bumpers now. I also painted the door frame of my shop with it. I needed a can of paint, and it was handy.
OK. I'll backtrack. I have a short term memory thing [what's the word?] due to a side effect of my Glaucoma Medicine.

Old 02-20-2024, 08:49 PM   #163
Roostre

Quote:
OK. I'll backtrack. I have a short term memory thing [what's the word?] due to a side effect of my Glaucoma Medicine.
No worries, looks like page 4 is where the grill is. I like the Navajo White because it isn't as stark as a bright white would be.
Old 02-20-2024, 09:00 PM   #164
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
No worries, looks like page 4 is where the grill is. I like the Navajo White because it isn't as stark as a bright white would be.
Thanks. I found it. Post #78. Funny, I even made a comment. But then that was 3 years ago.
That Grille is Ivory, 3 years ago. Are you going to overshoot w/ Navajo?
I do appreciate it when '67s have the headlight bezels and trim rings in the contrasting colors. And I love '68s that have a contrasting grille face and silverized trim and bezels. But I hate it when people get it wrong or don't care.

The Grille on my '67 K/10 Sub in the pic on page 4 is off a '68 clip I put on it after smacking a 4-point deer head-on one dark night.

Old 02-20-2024, 09:12 PM   #165
Roostre

Quote:
Thanks. I found it. Post #78. Funny, I even made a comment. But then that was 3 years ago.
That Grille is Ivory, 3 years ago. Are you going to overshoot w/ Navajo?
I do appreciate it when '67s have the headlight bezels and trim rings in the contrasting colors. And I love '68s that have a contrasting grille face and silverized trim and bezels. But I hate it when people get it wrong or don't care.

The Grille on my '67 K/10 Sub in the pic on page 4 is off a '68 clip I put on it after smacking a 4-point deer head-on one dark night.
Wow, it has been 3 years. You had me nervous with the ivory, so I had to look back. I described it as ivory, but the actual name of it is Navajo White. That is the only white color I have been spraying.

I almost painted the whole grill Navajo White in the 68 style, and if I had chrome buckets like yours, I probably would have. After seeing the white trim in the red grill, I ended up liking that better. Going with the whole grill may be getting too much white at this point.
Old 02-20-2024, 09:41 PM   #166
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Wow, it has been 3 years. You had me nervous with the ivory, so I had to look back. I described it as ivory, but the actual name of it is Navajo White. That is the only white color I have been spraying.

I almost painted the whole grill Navajo White in the 68 style, and if I had chrome buckets like yours, I probably would have. After seeing the white trim in the red grill, I ended up liking that better. Going with the whole grill may be getting too much white at this point.
Chrome Buckets? You mean the headlight bezels? They are a silvery anodized aluminum. Same material they made the Trim Rings from. [I used to call them ''Chicken Lips'' because OEM were so hard to find]. The true MY 1967 Trim Rings were steel and had a cross section like a capital D. In '68 Chevy found they could make them in anodized aluminum, but needed an extra corrugation ridge in the cross section so they didn't bend as much. [The anodized aluminum being cheaper and flimsier.] Also GM only reproduced the anodized aluminum Trim Rings as replacement parts. So steel ones are hard to get. I might assume the real '67 headlight bezels were steel too, but my '67 K/10 had already been swapped to aluminum when I got it. And its Chicken Lips were missing even before I whacked Bambi's Dad.
After the Ungulate Impact event, the Sub got a '68 Grille.

Here's a pic of my original '68 Grille on the Orange Stepside on a rare nasty day in Tucson.
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2024, 10:20 PM   #167
Roostre

Quote:
Chrome Buckets? You mean the headlight bezels? They are a silvery anodized aluminum. Same material they made the Trim Rings from. [I used to call them ''Chicken Lips'' because OEM were so hard to find]. The true MY 1967 Trim Rings were steel and had a cross section like a capital D. In '68 Chevy found they could make them in anodized aluminum, but needed an extra corrugation ridge in the cross section so they didn't bend as much. [The anodized aluminum being cheaper and flimsier.] Also GM only reproduced the anodized aluminum Trim Rings as replacement parts. So steel ones are hard to get. I might assume the real '67 headlight bezels were steel too, but my '67 K/10 had already been swapped to aluminum when I got it. And its Chicken Lips were missing even before I whacked Bambi's Dad.
After the Ungulate Impact event, the Sub got a '68 Grille.

Here's a pic of my original '68 Grille on the Orange Stepside on a rare nasty day in Tucson.
Yep, I meant the headlight bezels. Thanks for the history! The only ones I have been up close and personal with are mine off the 67. They are definitely steel, and they look like they may have been chrome at one point, but I'm not sure. I documented stripping a few layers of paint off them around page 4-5.

I've always liked the suburbans of this age. Problem is they're really rare around here and seem to rust out even worse than the pickups do. And this cab is testing my rust repair abilities.
Old 02-20-2024, 10:55 PM   #168
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Yep, I meant the headlight bezels. Thanks for the history! The only ones I have been up close and personal with are mine off the 67. They are definitely steel, and they look like they may have been chrome at one point, but I'm not sure. I documented stripping a few layers of paint off them around page 4-5.

I've always liked the suburbans of this age. Problem is they're really rare around here and seem to rust out even worse than the pickups do. And this cab is testing my rust repair abilities.
As for Chrome, I'm not sure if there was a Deluxe or Custom trim option where the front end trim parts were chromed at the Factory, or Dealers' aftermarket?
I know a lot of hot rodders were doing that with those parts when the Action Line Series Trucks were not that old. Chrome headlamp bezels are even shinier than anodized aluminum. And the D-section steel Chicken Lips became scarce when the chroming fad got underway.

The problem wih my 3-Door Sub is that I mismanaged my insurance. I should never have claimed on an engine fire. Their adjuster looked at it [in 1998] and decided it was just a ''POS'' and I got peanuts for my claim and a Salvage Title. Needs new powerplant and drive train. Dana 44 front end from a '71 [+ Later] Blazer and rebuilt 12-Bolt rear end are both needed. Paint, interior need work. Front bench seat is OK. Glass is OK. New rubber seals needed. I want to convert a Squarebody backseat 60/40 fold down like HO455's Working Mans' Burban. It had a 454/TH350/NP205. I have a '63 292 core.
A 700R4 trans w/ OD sounds good. And keep the NP205. I also have an SM465/T221 core. It's a basket case, but an Arizona truck rust-wise.
Attached Images

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 02-20-2024 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-23-2024, 12:04 AM   #169
Roostre

Quote:
As for Chrome, I'm not sure if there was a Deluxe or Custom trim option where the front end trim parts were chromed at the Factory, or Dealers' aftermarket?
I know a lot of hot rodders were doing that with those parts when the Action Line Series Trucks were not that old. Chrome headlamp bezels are even shinier than anodized aluminum. And the D-section steel Chicken Lips became scarce when the chroming fad got underway.

The problem wih my 3-Door Sub is that I mismanaged my insurance. I should never have claimed on an engine fire. Their adjuster looked at it [in 1998] and decided it was just a ''POS'' and I got peanuts for my claim and a Salvage Title. Needs new powerplant and drive train. Dana 44 front end from a '71 [+ Later] Blazer and rebuilt 12-Bolt rear end are both needed. Paint, interior need work. Front bench seat is OK. Glass is OK. New rubber seals needed. I want to convert a Squarebody backseat 60/40 fold down like HO455's Working Mans' Burban. It had a 454/TH350/NP205. I have a '63 292 core.
A 700R4 trans w/ OD sounds good. And keep the NP205. I also have an SM465/T221 core. It's a basket case, but an Arizona truck rust-wise.
Insurance adjustors can be tough. I had a small fire from a lightening strike on my previous house. The adjustor came out and made an offer. Thankfully, I showed it to my contractor and he said give me the guy's name and number. He then went to bat and got a much more realistic settlement and my house got put back together perfectly without me having to do any fighting. I really appreciate that contractor.

At least you have a solid, Arizona rust body you're working with. As you can see in my build, Minnesota rust is no joke!
Old 02-23-2024, 12:22 AM   #170
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Insurance adjustors can be tough. I had a small fire from a lightening strike on my previous house. The adjustor came out and made an offer. Thankfully, I showed it to my contractor and he said give me the guy's name and number. He then went to bat and got a much more realistic settlement and my house got put back together perfectly without me having to do any fighting. I really appreciate that contractor.

At least you have a solid, Arizona rust body you're working with. As you can see in my build, Minnesota rust is no joke!
That bad experience was why I didn't claim on a 4/22 collision with my '68 C/10. I had full comprehensive with Allstate, but I didn't trust them. So bringing back my Stepside is outta my own pocket.
The Suburban is a Fremont truck. I bought it from a man in Mesa [PHX area]. I have no idea of its history before 1993. I used to run it up to Pinetop in the AZ White Mountains and ski over XMAS break, but they use scoria [crushed volcanic gravel] not salt on icy roads there.

Old 02-25-2024, 12:25 AM   #171
Roostre

Making patches continued tonight. I moved to the passenger's side of the firewall. It was rotted out in the same way that the driver's side was, but more so. I cut out the rot then cut and bent a patch piece for it. It fits pretty well, but I won't weld it back in until I patch the inner A pillar, just like the driver's side. For me to do that, the floor needs to come out.

So now we're to it. The part I've been procrastinating on, bracing the cab and cutting the floor out. I plan to cut the floor out, then cut off the rockers. Then I will patch the driver's and passenger's inner A pillars, then weld in my firewall patches on both sides. Next, patch the passenger's outer A pillar. From there, I will install the new floor that has been laying around my shop for 4 years, and then patch the lower B pillars on both sides. Last will be replacing the rockers. I am seriously thinking about using the 3M structural adhesive on the floor where it attaches to the firewall and where it attaches to the rear of the cab. It worked really well on the roof skin, and I think it will work just as well on the floor. The final decision will be made when I see how my aftermarket floor fits my 57 year old cab.

Stay tuned, this will get interesting. For me anyway.
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2024, 09:51 PM   #172
1967GMCC20

Quite a journey.....
1967GMCC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 12:22 AM   #173
Roostre

I keep plugging away. Tonight I welded in some cab bracing to prepare for removing the rockers and cab floor. I used some angle iron from an industrial shelf frame that the previous owner left in my shop. Should be good enough for what I'm doing. I welded it to the B pillars and the A pillars and then tied them together front to back. I may weld a couple of kickers to the firewall yet. I'm also thinking about cutting and screwing a couple pieces of wood to the front angle iron to set the height of the front of the floor.

Now on to the fun of removing rockers and cutting out the floor.
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2024, 05:55 PM   #174
Roostre

Today I cut the passenger's side rocker out of my cab. What was left of the original outer and inner rockers were still there. A previous owner pop riveted some roofing tin over them and then put bondo over that. The roofing tin was also rusting through, so that fix was pretty old too. I used most of a 3 inch cut off wheel, a drill, tin snips, plasma cutter, hammer, and pry bar to get the rocker and patch off.

Having it all out of the way should make floor replacement easier, along with patching lower A and B pillars.

Pictures are of before, during, and after removal along with some of the lower pillar spots that need attention. Enjoy.
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2024, 05:57 PM   #175
Roostre

Here are the pictures of the lower A and B pillars that need patching. The driver's side will look similar.
Attached Images