The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2022, 08:00 PM   #1
williamgdonovan

73 Squarebody Suspension Recommendations

Looking for some input how to get maximum handling performance out of the 73 C10 suspension. I think I've landed on replacing the front crossmember and suspension with a unit from TCI, Heidts, PB, etc. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations in this area? Any better or worse than others.

For the rear end I'm going to keep the 12 bolt but thinking about going with the QA1 torque arm setup. Any thoughts or recommendations on this?

Am I way off base or headed in the right direction?

Thanks
williamgdonovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 02:42 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: 73 Squarebody Suspension Recommendations

Don't forget one of the original outfits that designed components to help move these trucks around corners faster.... No Limits Engineering. Before TCI, Qa1, or Heidts made 'kits' for these trucks, if 'maximum handling' was your goal, No Limits was a go-to.

Another option you might not know about is Detroit Speed. They now make front & rear bolt-in set-ups for C10's.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 03:26 PM   #3
williamgdonovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Don't forget one of the original outfits that designed components to help move these trucks around corners faster.... No Limits Engineering. Before TCI, Qa1, or Heidts made 'kits' for these trucks, if 'maximum handling' was your goal, No Limits was a go-to.

Another option you might not know about is Detroit Speed. They now make front & rear bolt-in set-ups for C10's.
Appreciate the input. I will give them some consideration.
Old 01-26-2022, 04:16 PM   #4
SCOTI

There's a wide range in 'difference' regarding these trucks ability to handle.

Are you planning/building for some Track Time or Cone-Killing?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 01-26-2022, 04:52 PM   #5
williamgdonovan

Quote:
There's a wide range in 'difference' regarding these trucks ability to handle.

Are you planning/building for some Track Time or Cone-Killing?
Plan is to run an LS and daily drive but also want to be able to do some track days/autocross.
Old 01-31-2022, 09:23 AM   #6
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

I would also look into a full frame set up if that is your plan. Many now make direct bolt in set ups. No Limit, Roadster Shop, ACME, GSI, Porter Built and others. If you look at the cost of the front kit and rear kit along with all the work required. I full frame set up starts to make sense if you look at the overall big picture and complete costs.

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 10:35 AM   #7
Ziegelsteinfaust

First set a budget that is good with you, and or the wife. Or ask for forgiveness afterwards. That's up to you there.

Then set goals, and be honest with yourself. Do you want this truck to hang with sports cars? Or handle very nicely, and still make homedepot runs? Is towing in your future? All of these things will effect other things negatively to some extent, and in there is a happy medium that YOU can live with. Then look at the budget to confirm.

QA1 for instance makes a damn fine bolt on kit. As do Detroit speed, and something like 10 other companies. All from $4000-15000 all in.

Myself I am poor. So I am sectioning a crossmember, and relocating the A-arms to get more action out of them. Like the Gulstrand or Shelby mods.

The biggest gains in the handling department are shocks, and tires. It doesn't matter if the suspension is improved or not. The suspension upgrades make a vehicle more predictable especially at the edge of performance thus allowing you to push your tires harder.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 11:16 AM   #8
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
First set a budget that is good with you, and or the wife. Or ask for forgiveness afterwards. That's up to you there.

Then set goals, and be honest with yourself. Do you want this truck to hang with sports cars? Or handle very nicely, and still make homedepot runs? Is towing in your future? All of these things will effect other things negatively to some extent, and in there is a happy medium that YOU can live with. Then look at the budget to confirm.

QA1 for instance makes a damn fine bolt on kit. As do Detroit speed, and something like 10 other companies. All from $4000-15000 all in.

Myself I am poor. So I am sectioning a crossmember, and relocating the A-arms to get more action out of them. Like the Gulstrand or Shelby mods.

The biggest gains in the handling department are shocks, and tires. It doesn't matter if the suspension is improved or not. The suspension upgrades make a vehicle more predictable especially at the edge of performance thus allowing you to push your tires harder.
Have you plotted out what benefits there will be from doing the "Gulstrand/Shelby" mods? I'm curious of what gains are achieved.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 01-31-2022, 02:26 PM   #9
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Have you plotted out what benefits there will be from doing the "Gulstrand/Shelby" mods? I'm curious of what gains are achieved.
No I don't know how to do that, but I measured against the new improved version of a F body Gulstrand modded sub frame I had access too. Then took the spindle height vs A-arm positions on center in the vertical plane. And did some algebra or something to get a number I was satisfied with. Roughly 3/4-7/8 of a inch.

All in it felt snappier to me, and maybe a touch more planted. Then it did before the truck Gulstrand mod I did. I had relocated the lower A arms previously, but did not have my good drill at that point. Friend had borrowed it for a month. Plus being in a hurry I just did it later.

The truck was a freshened up 1973 C20 with C10 springs, and removed leafs in the back with a drop shackle to level it off. I was running PYO rims with 265-70r16 front, and 285-70r16 rears. The tires were E rated AT tires.

All in all I will do it again to my sub frame I am modding now. My knee is feeling better, and after chores I may spend sometime working on it again today.
Old 01-31-2022, 03:21 PM   #10
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

After seeing how flexible these frames are.
Be more concerned about that 1st then the rest will come.
Old 01-31-2022, 04:08 PM   #11
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQQL IT View Post
After seeing how flexible these frames are.
Be more concerned about that 1st then the rest will come.
It's not as big a deal as it sounds. Of course you can add a full x-member, and box the frame. This will make it stiffer then a new truck. They can flex quite a bit too depending on how they are measured.

But you can add a few hundred pounds of weight, and fairly big complications for the home builder. Or add greatly to one's debt. Don't forget the roll bar set up.

If I had a forklift, and motivation. I would do a basic X-member if I wanted to track it often enough. Then consider a basic 6 point cage depending on track rules. Or terminal velocity on the high end.

These days you can spend more money then you have the skills to drive. Which is cool if you have that kind of cash.