The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-10-2022, 07:45 AM   #1
C3pilot

‘72 Front suspension info

Looking for info on front end rebuild for a ‘72 C10 2wd. Currently it has original disc with power brakes. Is there a reason to go with a newer style front cross member/suspension/steering/brakes? Motor is currently out, fenders and core support are removed too so now is the time to clean up and rebuild it. Not looking for the ultimate driving machine but something that handles well and is tight. Not looking to lower the truck much if any.

Any input would be appreciated!
Thx C3pilot
C3pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:56 AM   #2
SCOTI

Re: ‘72 Front suspension info

This is a subjective question. Is there a need to use the later 73-up stuff? No, but...

Some people want to install the OE style 73-up rubber bushings to get a smother ride resulting from the thicker rubber bushing/metal shell housing style of bushing.

Others swap to the 73-up stuff for the ability to use Poly bushings for 'better' performance using that same metal shell housing style of bushing.

The original 72 bushings are rubber lined steel & designed to pivot via the internal threads. I like to think of the OE 63-72 design as a budget Delrin set-up (it pivots freely & is not all cushy).

So, to answer your question is to follow the ride quality you desire.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:10 PM   #3
C3pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
This is a subjective question. Is there a need to use the later 73-up stuff? No, but...

Some people want to install the OE style 73-up rubber bushings to get a smother ride resulting from the thicker rubber bushing/metal shell housing style of bushing.

Others swap to the 73-up stuff for the ability to use Poly bushings for 'better' performance using that same metal shell housing style of bushing.

The original 72 bushings are rubber lined steel & designed to pivot via the internal threads. I like to think of the OE 63-72 design as a budget Delrin set-up (it pivots freely & is not all cushy).

So, to answer your question is to follow the ride quality you desire.

Thank you for the info! Don’t think I’ll be making any changes right now but it’s good to know what my options are.
Old 01-10-2022, 10:28 PM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3pilot View Post
Thank you for the info! Don’t think I’ll be making any changes right now but it’s good to know what my options are.
Fresh ball joints, inner/outer tie rod ends, Idler arm, Pitman arm, & fresh steering box make a big difference. Add some good shocks, a HD sway bar, the Caster Mod (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ght=caster+mod), & an alignment using current specs and it will be like a completely different (modern) drive.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Last edited by SCOTI; 01-10-2022 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-11-2022, 09:38 AM   #5
C3pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Fresh ball joints, inner/outer tie rod ends, Idler arm, Pitman arm, & fresh steering box make a big difference. Add some good shocks, a HD sway bar, the Caster Mod (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ght=caster+mod), & an alignment using current specs and it will be like a completely different (modern) drive.
Good reading on that caster mod, I wasn’t familiar with it. What is the result of doing it? I would guess increased stability but slightly less maneuverability?
Old 01-11-2022, 10:30 AM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
Good reading on that caster mod, I wasn’t familiar with it. What is the result of doing it? I would guess increased stability but slightly less maneuverability?
Just a modern steering 'feel/experience' vs. what was targeted back in the 60's.
My CC 1-ton dually drives like a 1/2 ton pick-up.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 01-11-2022, 01:56 PM   #7
cwcarpenter98

I just did the caster mod on my truck. Made it drive straight going 70 on I20. I no longer get pushed around by big rigs

Don't be like the previous owner of my truck though. He put the upper control arms on the wrong sides at some point. That's really bad for your alignment, and with the caster mod, you won't be able to get it lined up

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:36 AM   #8
C3pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
I just did the caster mod on my truck. Made it drive straight going 70 on I20. I no longer get pushed around by big rigs

Don't be like the previous owner of my truck though. He put the upper control arms on the wrong sides at some point. That's really bad for your alignment, and with the caster mod, you won't be able to get it lined up
UCAs on backwards!! Well…I probably shouldn’t point fingers I too have done plenty of bone head stuff.

PO of the truck I’m working on had a small chain wrapped around the engine frame mount and the motor mount, that was totally shot and no bolt, on the engine. No telling how much jumping around that engine was doing when it ran?!?!
Old 01-16-2022, 06:16 PM   #9
C3pilot

So an update, got it all torn apart. Ball joints are definitely shot but we’re still tight on the control arms. 3 of the 4 control arm shafts were definitely ready to be replaced but not damaged. The 4th, LCA passenger side rear bushing had worn through and the control arm shaft had made contact with the LCA. Looks like the hole is now out of round.

So it looks like a replacement LCA is now needed. I’ll be putting up a want add on the parts board shortly.

C3pilot
Old 01-16-2022, 08:30 PM   #10
C3pilot

So I’ve been reading more about up grading to 73-87 control arms/bushings. Since I have all my ‘72 new ball joints and cross shafts ready to go can I get a 73-87 LCA and put my ‘72 cross shafts in the 73-87 LCA?
Old 01-16-2022, 09:04 PM   #11
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
So I’ve been reading more about up grading to 73-87 control arms/bushings. Since I have all my ‘72 new ball joints and cross shafts ready to go can I get a 73-87 LCA and put my ‘72 cross shafts in the 73-87 LCA?
No.
The 73-87 arms take a different cross shaft with rubber bushings.
But you CAN put your ‘72 balljoints in the later control arms.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote