The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-20-2021, 05:40 PM   #1
LS short box

Re: Doing LS Swap - I have no idea what I'm doing!

I not a electrical wizard so I buy a pre-made harness. I purchase the harness and computer from one supplier. They will mod the computer as needed. I like Howell and Speartech. Used both a number of times.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:15 PM   #2
EagleChief

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
I not a electrical wizard so I buy a pre-made harness. I purchase the harness and computer from one supplier. They will mod the computer as needed. I like Howell and Speartech. Used both a number of times.
I'm not an electrical wizard either. That's one reason I'm leaning toward buying a pre-made harness. I just can't fathom the thought of spending $600-$1000 (depending on set-up) on a wiring harness. I see some advertised for anywhere around $250-$300 on FB and Ebay all the time. Anything wrong with those?

My Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=780197

LS Swap Thread: https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=811460
EagleChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 01:31 PM   #3
Joemomma1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleChief View Post
I'm not an electrical wizard either. That's one reason I'm leaning toward buying a pre-made harness. I just can't fathom the thought of spending $600-$1000 (depending on set-up) on a wiring harness. I see some advertised for anywhere around $250-$300 on FB and Ebay all the time. Anything wrong with those?
Being as this is your first swap and you're not familiar with the modern components of the engine, I'd say buy a new harness or have yours reworked. When you go to fire it up and have to troubleshoot the wiring, sensors and voltages should you have trouble, the money saved is not worth it. I went with BP automotive for my first swap and am having my second harness reworked. My third will use the whole harness and fuse box as is from the donor.

Don't go with the Chinese harnesses as they can get you by but you are not there yet to troubleshoot or repair them should you need to. You're already half the cost of a quality harness.
Joemomma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 05:17 PM   #4
EagleChief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joemomma1 View Post
Being as this is your first swap and you're not familiar with the modern components of the engine, I'd say buy a new harness or have yours reworked. When you go to fire it up and have to troubleshoot the wiring, sensors and voltages should you have trouble, the money saved is not worth it. I went with BP automotive for my first swap and am having my second harness reworked. My third will use the whole harness and fuse box as is from the donor.

Don't go with the Chinese harnesses as they can get you by but you are not there yet to troubleshoot or repair them should you need to. You're already half the cost of a quality harness.
I'm going to talk to a couple shops local to me that specialize in LS tuning and wiring. I'll get some prices from them to see if they have harnesses already made up, or, use mine to cut down and use.

Old 02-03-2021, 07:31 PM   #5
Pitpig

Probably already mentioned, but stock harness rework is simple. Just flow LT1swap instructions (with pictures!!) Your basically just removing the stuff you don’t need. To me the biggest benefit was a better appreciation of what each circuit does. They’re not pretty, but they’re cheap. What have you got to lose?
Pitpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 05:24 PM   #6
EagleChief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitpig View Post
Probably already mentioned, but stock harness rework is simple. Just flow LT1swap instructions (with pictures!!) Your basically just removing the stuff you don’t need. To me the biggest benefit was a better appreciation of what each circuit does. They’re not pretty, but they’re cheap. What have you got to lose?
I have looked through the walk-thru over at LT1swap. Looks like a big bunch of spaghetti! Fear of cutting the wrong wires, or messing something up is the problem holding me back, I think. But, my biggest obstacle is time. Going through the wiring seems like it would take several hours to go through. My time in the garage, currently, is probably 20-30 minutes at a time - IF I'm lucky.