The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-13-2022, 04:10 PM   #1
scott123

first 53 model

I have been in the 69-72 club for as long as I can remember. 69 SWB 4WD and a 72 Blazer in the final stages.

I am venturing into unchartered waters.....

A few questions:

Windshield frame repair? Any aftermarket patch panels available? Or is it a donor item?

Chassis width? I have a 72SWB frame that someone else tried to convert to 4WD. It is half and half now and I thought about building this as the platform.

I have read/been told the S-10 is the better route to update the suspension?

Thanks.

Scott
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 04:58 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: first 53 model

to me the full size truck frame setups are to wide for a AD..
i did it with mine yrs ago and regretted it ever since
Russ has done numerous s10/AD builds..if i was gonna go that route, i would read into what he has done over the yrs
there are lots of patch panels available..but some items may need fabbed

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 08:39 AM   #3
scott123

Sort of getting my ducks in a row.

I put a 85 S-10 on a 72 Blazer chassis once. It was a beast in the mud.

I have been reading up on the S-10 route. I posted in another thread on here that I was hoping to use as much stuff as I can that is just laying around.

I will keep reading.

Thanks.

Scott
Old 07-14-2022, 01:12 PM   #4
mr48chev

The later independent front end frames are pretty close to the same width as an AD it is the 69 and up suspension that gets too wide for the fenders with most popular tire selections. Basically you need what looks like a front wheel drive wheel to get the tire back inside the fenders.

It also depends on what level of truck you want to build, Most frame swap trucks are low value trucks compared to one having an original frame and custom suspension. Ok for a cheap build to run around in but not cool if you are going to put 60 K into it with really nice paint and interior and expect to recover a decent amount of your investment.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 03:45 PM   #5
scott123

Agreed.

I doubt I am ever headed toward Barrett-Jackson. I like to ride too much for that kind of truck.

I was wondering about the width and the clearances/body mounts etc.

I have not started but sort of trying to get a semi-plan together/a general idea of which direction to go. Which is not the norm for me, as I usually just get a handful of wrenches, the torch, the welder and a bank card and have at it.

Thanks for the input.

Scott
Old 07-15-2022, 08:25 PM   #6
R&B51

Scott123
Kind of an "out there" option:
I'm close to body back on of using entire C6 Corvette driveline/suspension using Dobbertin adapters and built a custom frame. mr48chev is right-usually have to use low dish/modify weel/tire to get inside those fenders but I'm still hoping for a good look (I'll send a body mockup pic). I'd be glad to share costs, details and even share the exact frame specs if you're interested-PM me.
R&B51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 08:38 PM   #7
R&B51

Pics
Attached Images

R&B51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 09:19 PM   #8
mongocanfly
Post Whore

looks good R&B..!!!

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
Old 07-19-2022, 09:04 PM   #9
scott123

Yep. Always interested in something like that.

I am finishing up the K5 and hope to get the final color on it next week and then re-assemble. From there I want to roll into this project.

My first thoughts were to just use up what I have but if the wider 72 chassis will make an issue wheel width/clearance issue I can go in a different route.

But I always like pics a threads of other builds.

Scott
Old 07-19-2022, 10:18 PM   #10
mongocanfly
Post Whore

i put my 55.1 AD on a 69 chassis...ive hated the way it looks ever since..when i get to it it going on a custom frame...tires sticking out from under fenders just aint my thing

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

Old 07-21-2022, 02:05 AM   #11
joedoh

53 is a good year, doors that stay shut, last year of angled bed tops.

the only people who worry about barrett jackson values are the people who sell their trucks at barrett jackson. looking at the build threads here almost no one except maybe mr48 have the explicit stated goal of going to barrett jackson when done. i wish him luck. its a long road, my friend jack builds protuners for barrett and 60k is usually around what his paint costs.

when you dont have an original frame to start with its easy to get distracted by all the counter arguments that seems to stop your project from even starting. oh heavens the track width, oh stars the sheetmetal modifications, oh lands the RESALE VALUE.

figure out what you want, cruising? go fast? towing? crawl the earth? and build to that. the best advice I can give is to read about whatever you want to do, look at those kind project threads. I wont advocate one way over another, there are lots of ways to accomplish your goals.

this is the last one I built, s10 swapped, started with a bare cab and added literally everything else. the dreaded sheetmetal mods were about an hours work one day a year ago. it has 1.5" wheel spacers because the wheels didnt come with anything different than standard offset. it runs and drives beautifully and the guy who bought it (18 hours after listing it) still texts me almost a year later about how much he loves it. he has hauled mulch in it and left it outside the garage most days and been swamped at the gas station every time he stops. its not the only way to build a truck, it isnt the best way the easiest or even the cheapest. look through the project threads and see what strikes you.
Attached Images

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 08:15 PM   #12
scott123

Thanks for the reply.

The Barret Jackson was just an off the cuff remark mostly because I like to drive my projects. If I had one of the 200K B/J trucks it would soon be a 100K truck with all the miles and work I would be doing with any truck I own.

I have a 69SWB 4WD and a 72 K5. I put a '85 S-10 on a a 71K-5 chassis and made a mudder out of it.

I get the advice of 'pick a path and go'. I have done that with all of mine. Not that I am totally cheap but I am totally cheap and I was hoping to use what I have from other project leftovers.

I never had a '53 or did a '53 so I was asking those who have.

Just have not picked the path just yet.

Scott
Old 07-23-2022, 11:47 AM   #13
joedoh

I know, sorry for using many words when few words do trick.

my point was some guys dont like s10 swaps, i like them a lot! if you go this route I can help. if you dont I will watch your project with encouragement and interest.

oh windshield patch, been there, no patches available its a donor piece you will need.
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2022, 03:08 PM   #14
scott123

Nice.

I am looking into the S-10 route now. I have one at the shop with a bad transmission and the owner just wants scrap price for but it is a short bed vs. long bed.

I then have to weight the options of cutting the frame or keep looking for a long bed.

But so it goes. Still in the first stages so I am taking baby steps and then I usually take a big leap and figure things out as I go.

Thanks. I will hit you up as I go forward.

Scott
Old 08-01-2022, 12:26 PM   #15
dsraven

if doing the S10 joedoh is the man. pm him for info on his mount kits, they look awesome.
if you get the short version of the S10 for cheap you could think about pricing and avail for just the rear section you need, without rear axle etc, and slip that into the front section you have, assuming that front section is good. one thing to look into though would be if the front spindles are the same for all different lengths of frames as this can, theoretically, change the ackerman angle. with wheel spacers etc needed for the S10 swap that may get thrown out the window anyway.
thoughts joedoh?
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 08:34 PM   #16
Dan in Pasadena

Joe, When you cut out all the sheet metal above the windshield what did you find behind it? I assume surface rust. What; if anything, did you do about it? Blast, wire wheel, phosphoric acid? Did you paint with rust through primer before welding in the repair metal?

The ONE thing I am concerned about with my now-finish-painted '55 is the potential for rust through around the roof sheet metal. I guess if/when rust bubbles show I'll know. UGH UGH UGH!

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 09:38 PM   #17
joedoh

this was not just a cosmetic refinish, it was rusted all the way through. I replaced the inner brace and the inner panel too, and both sides of the windshield pinch. it looks like a lot of work but I had maybe an hour in it all using good patches from a donor roof. the longest part was drilling spot welds

exploratory surgery

inner brace old v new.

inner and inner brace replaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
if doing the S10 joedoh is the man. pm him for info on his mount kits, they look awesome.
if you get the short version of the S10 for cheap you could think about pricing and avail for just the rear section you need, without rear axle etc, and slip that into the front section you have, assuming that front section is good. one thing to look into though would be if the front spindles are the same for all different lengths of frames as this can, theoretically, change the ackerman angle. with wheel spacers etc needed for the S10 swap that may get thrown out the window anyway.
thoughts joedoh?

spindles and the whole front end are the exact same no matter the wheelbase. to make different wheelbases they just change the rear section. thanks for the props, i have been redesigning the mounts recently so my new stuff is light years easier to work with.
Attached Images

Last edited by joedoh; 08-01-2022 at 09:43 PM.