The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2022, 06:17 AM   #1
Mike80D

73 Black?

Was this a less common color for 73? I found the 500 Midnight Black rpo , but the 73 sales brochure, or info packet from GM Heritage center does not show it to be standard?? My pickup is definitely nothing to write home about, but I do like the fact that it might be an oddball of sorts.
Attached Images

Mike80D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 09:40 AM   #2
Getter-Done

Re: 73 Black?

Yeah, I don't recall seeing a black 73 before.
Those grills are tough.
Most that I have seen are still in decent shape.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 10:16 PM   #3
jocko

Very interesting indeed! 500 black was an option on series 40-90 only in 73, not light duty. So, I'd have expected you'd have a Special Paint code on the SPID rather than the color RPO. Kinda breaks from precedent. As a data point, very similar situation for me with a 76 I had - EXCEPT it had the Special Paint code. It was 88 orange, and in 76 that was only available on series 40-90, so the SPID made sense.

Anyway, you've got an original black 73 and that's pretty awesome!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 06:35 AM   #4
Mike80D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Very interesting indeed! 500 black was an option on series 40-90 only in 73, not light duty. So, I'd have expected you'd have a Special Paint code on the SPID rather than the color RPO. Kinda breaks from precedent. As a data point, very similar situation for me with a 76 I had - EXCEPT it had the Special Paint code. It was 88 orange, and in 76 that was only available on series 40-90, so the SPID made sense.

Anyway, you've got an original black 73 and that's pretty awesome!
I guess I should ad a pic of my SPID. Kind of hard to read. Probably wasn’t the best idea to move them to the engine bay. I find it odd that it says color combination, but the truck is all black. OR I should say it once was haha. The only other trucks I can find that mention that rpo are some of the later 70s sport models. Not sure if it has anything to do with it, but the truck is Canadian built fwiw.
Attached Images

Mike80D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 12:43 PM   #5
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike80D View Post
I guess I should ad a pic of my SPID. Kind of hard to read. Probably wasn’t the best idea to move them to the engine bay. I find it odd that it says color combination, but the truck is all black. OR I should say it once was haha. The only other trucks I can find that mention that rpo are some of the later 70s sport models. Not sure if it has anything to do with it, but the truck is Canadian built fwiw.
If I am reading that right it says "9V1".

"9V1" would be an "SEO" (Specialty Equipment Option), rather than an RPO (Regular Production option), based on the Number/Letter/Number configuration.

My guess is somebody used a fleet code to put black on the '73 Light duty truck.

Going from memory but I don't think black was a regular production color until 1975 model year.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 07:36 PM   #6
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike80D View Post
Thanks Mike - sorry, I thought you meant in your first post that you found a 500 code on your truck somewhere, SPID, fwall, etc. Caught your SPID later in the other thread aslo - makes more sense now - you should not see 500 on a 73 light duty SPID.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote