The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2020, 12:41 PM   #26
Woodnears

Re: My Build - "Orange Bliss"

You have plenty of room to push that sucker back a bit! Depending on what you are running for fans and radiator you may have to push it back, don't order a drive shaft just yet.... Nice work this should be a fun project!
Old 09-21-2020, 12:48 PM   #27
MoreWorkToDo

Quote:
Originally Posted by May70 View Post
Id probably redo all your brake components in the rear drums (assuming your only putting disc brakes in the front) and put new lines in all the way around!

Doesn't appear you've done your outer rocker yet, if it fits like mine you will literally have to split it all the way down the middle. oh the joys

Thank you May70! I'll definitely add that to the list. Something like a front disc kit with drop spindles? Do you think a rear conversion is necessary?

I was also thinking of adding a Eaton TrueTrac Torsen differential. I'd keep the 3.73 ratio.

The outer rocker isn't finished yet! The body work really got me down. The drivetrain got me excited. I'm leaning towards having a local shop finish the body. It will save me some gray hair.
MoreWorkToDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 12:03 PM   #28
May70

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreWorkToDo View Post
Thank you May70! I'll definitely add that to the list. Something like a front disc kit with drop spindles? Do you think a rear conversion is necessary?

I was also thinking of adding a Eaton TrueTrac Torsen differential. I'd keep the 3.73 ratio.

The outer rocker isn't finished yet! The body work really got me down. The drivetrain got me excited. I'm leaning towards having a local shop finish the body. It will save me some gray hair.
Well a lot of folks defend the drums and say you don't need discs. In my opinion anyone who argues the performance of drums over discs does not have experience with modern performance disc brakes. I have a set on my 6 lug truck that can stop that truck faster than any drum brake setup I've ever seen. If it were the case that drums are better than disc you would not see nearly every new/car or truck coming with disc brakes.

Anyway, you should definitely put power brakes at minimum in it with that motor. Assuming you put disc brakes in the front I think you would be fine with drums in the back. El dorodo rotor/calipers are a direct swap and you get to keep your E brake. A lot of rear disc conversions either dont have an e brake OR you have to have two calipers on each rotor (which is just not a good idea..). At that point its just a budget decision but 5/6 lug can be done fairly cheap and will save you the hassle/cost of having to rebuild your drum components.

If you can afford to have it done by someone else and have somewhere reputable, you will most definitely spare yourself grey hairs at minimum. You might actually be able to get it done sooner! HAH, I wish I could speed this up myself!!

Just fyi if you do disc brakes you will need a proportioning valve, master cylinder and the lines need to be larger. There are a bunch of threads on it.

One big handling difference is having a front sway bar also which a lot of c10 owners rave at the difference. You should go through all the front end suspension either way. Probably time for new ball joints etc..

You also do not have to use drop spindles to convert to disc fust FYI. You can keep stock ride height.

How to repair that rusted out 67-72 c10-c30! Please subscribe!
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaycoCustomRestorations

Last edited by May70; 09-22-2020 at 12:15 PM.
May70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:02 PM   #29
MoreWorkToDo

Woodnears - I took your advice and moved it back further. I slid it all the way back until the trans hit, then slid it forward about 1 inch. In the end, it moved back about another 1.5".

I was very worried about trans hump clearance. I spent days searching forums. I'm no longer worried! The low hump cab will definitely clear a 4L80E transmission.

Name:  IMG_20200922_214516483.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  26.2 KB

14" to fit the accessory drive, radiator and fan.
Name:  IMG_20200922_214443266.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  49.6 KB

Lots more clearance for the pan.
Name:  IMG_20200922_191453906.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  47.6 KB

There is about another inch of adjustability left in the slider adapter plates.
Name:  IMG_20200922_191359503.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  35.7 KB

This makes it look like there is tons of room. If I cut/or bend the trans vent, I could probably move it back another 1/2 inch. Maybe tomorrow!
Name:  IMG_20200922_214616851.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  22.5 KB
Old 08-07-2022, 11:43 PM   #30
MoreWorkToDo

A ton has happened in the past year or two. I ended up taking the pickup into a hot rod shop for some body work and a paint job. I'm really happy with the results. This saved me a ton of time, time that I got to spend with my young kids and wife.

A few nights ago I installed some miscellaneous external rubber and got the EFI fuel pump module installed.

I did up changing my mind on the transmission. Tonight I pulled the 4L80E to make room for a Tremec TKX 5 speed. My two oldest boys were out helping me. The Harbor Freight scissor transmission jack worked very well, my only complaint is how high i had to lift the vehicle to get the trans out (first world problems). I supported the engine from the bottom using an old dirtbike stand.
Name:  IMG_20220807_222513768.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  46.5 KB

Name:  IMG_20220807_222547026.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  46.7 KB