The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-13-2022, 05:56 PM   #1
76JimmyBlue

Need some advice on purchasing a dump truck

Hello, I've been wanting to find an old medium duty dump truck with a 5 yard box but I'm concerned about parts availability. I really like the 60-66 GM medium duty trucks however are drivetrain, brake, suspension and steering parts available for them? I know it will all depend on the specific trucks build as to what's still available and if I have to go to specialty shops or purchase parts online that's fine. Just worried about having to rely on a dwindling supply of used and nos parts for repairs. Same goes for 67-72 and 73-80's mediums as well. Any help is greatly appreciated.
76JimmyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 08:34 PM   #2
C10 - C90 Bill

Re: Need some advice on purchasing a dump truck

Generally speaking, I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of the years you have listed but, of course, I would say the older, the little bit harder. Although there is a parts expert on one of the other truck sites I belong to and he seems to be able to find almost anything mechanical.

The one I personally would try to avoid is the '60 to '62 models because of the Torsion Bar Front Suspension, although maybe some others on here can jump in with more info on those particular years.
C10 - C90 Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 09:37 PM   #3
factorystock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76JimmyBlue View Post
Just worried about having to rely on a dwindling supply of used and nos parts for repairs. Same goes for 67-72 and 73-80's mediums as well.
Me too! It's not 1975 when a GM dealership could actually help you, today we are on are own. In that case the newer the better, look for a turn key great running low mileage vehicle which won't require rebuilding, just require normal maintenance. I prefer a heavier heavy duty model with air brakes and standard pattern 10 lug wheels.The 366-427 engines were mainstays in heavier trucks and the first 366 appeared under the hood of '66 Chevys.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 12:56 AM   #4
76JimmyBlue

The one I personally would try to avoid is the '60 to '62 models because of the Torsion Bar Front Suspension, although maybe some others on here can jump in with more info on those particular years.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering about the torsion bar front ends. I guess this truck might be out of then, it's across the sound from me. It's a flatbed but a dumping flatbed, and those issues seem like they wouldn't be too hard to fix. Not going to jump on this one but if it hangs around we'll see. Not ready to jump on just one yet but seeing these around gives me hope.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/g...518130545.html
Old 08-14-2022, 03:43 AM   #5
1966 K10

Got my new dump a few months ago after looking for over a year. My range was 60-90 medium duty with title, not too rusted, complete with budget of $4K to buy and get on the road. Depending where you live the prices can be anywhere from $300 to $10K + for a decent truck. I ended up finding a low mile original condition C60 that wasnt beat to death, no rust, runs and drives good, dump works, decent tires, V8, 4speed, 2 speed rear with two cylinder dump bed.

Finding parts is a crap shoot for these rigs even the late ones. Some things are still available but not much. It really comes down to what model you have and what it is optioned out with. Napa has been the best help locally and you can find stuff on the med duty section of the website, RockAuto has some decent listings and part numbers to work with. For the last 10 years or so Ebay has been the best bet with NOS parts for all the different vehicles in the fleet.

Right now tires and wheels are a big expense so make sure you budget for that. Depending on lug pattern and wheel type sometimes all new is your only option. Know the difference between split ring and split rim wheels, and what size wheels actually have replacement tires available.

For the dump I looked at both PTO and electric type setups. PTO is the way to go for heavy loads, electric was OK but sloooooow. Be suspicious of super clean rams, run the dump a few times and leave it up to see the leak down or any actual cylinder leaks.

Drive train can be all over the place depending on model as well. Single speed, two speed rears, 4 speeds a bunch of different 5 speeds, some bigger units had aux trans on top of that. It all adds up if it all need to be rebuilt. The single speed 5 speed trans C50 seems to be the most common around here.
Attached Images

1966 K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 12:59 AM   #6
76JimmyBlue

Looks like you found a good truck there. I agree on finding one with a pto driven pump as opposed to an electric one. Especially since I am hoping to find a truck with an actual metal, 5 yard box. Thank you for all of the advice everyone! Feel free to add any more, it certainly helps.