The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: If you had the option, which of these grills would you use?
Original 66 painted grill 1 20.00%
64-66 C60 painted grill 2 40.00%
an original aluminum grill that needs to be restored 2 40.00%
the repo aluminum grill that is now available 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-19-2012, 03:05 AM   #1
pdxhall

pdx-sanity66

Hi everyone. I've been a member here now for 1 year this month so I thought it was time for me to start a build thread. I've posted some pics on various threads and threw out a few comments and opinions but I want to get things more organized as to what I'm doing and where I'm going with my 66 long bed fleetside. I am going to give a little retrospective and bring things up to date as to what I've accomplished so far.
I got the truck about 12 years ago from the son of the original owner. He had died and the son didn't have a desire to keep the truck. I was leaving my girlfriends house (now my wife) one day and it was parked on the curb in front of a house just down the street with a for sale sign and a price of $675. I have always loved this body style truck and I couldn't resist. I paid the guys price and drove it to her house. The first pics here are the day I drove it there. It was a completely original, unmolested truck with a 135000 miles. Everything was intact on the truck including the owners manual in the glove box. No extra holes anywhere and very little rust except some in the normal places. The bed wood was totally rotted out, though, with a piece of plywood in it's place. the drivers side of the seat was shot, with a couple of springs broke and some padding stuffed in to make it usable. The rest of the seat was like new and the build sheet was still in place on the underside. Built in Fremont, Cal. and sold at a dealer here in Oregon.
I drove the truck a little for a few yrs but the clutch went south and I parked it. I didn't really have the time or a place to work on it at the time.
Attached Images

pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:19 AM   #2
pdxhall

Re: pdx-sanity66

When my wife and I got married, we bought another house, which had a nice double garage and the truck was taken out of the weather and moved into it's new home. I was still raising kids and had a lot of other stuff going on at the time so the truck sat this way until the summer of 2008 when I finally had the chance to get serious on the tear down and rebuild. My plan was always to do a full frame off once I got started. I was limited on space because I had to share my garage with other "stuff" so I decided to tear down the front end first, then turn the truck around in the garage and do the rear suspension, etc., then rearrange things and pull the cab. Then I could complete the frame. Once the frame was pretty much complete, I would then start on rust repair and body work.
I managed to get the front end torn down to bare frame and the frame rails painted. I used Eastwoods Rust Encapsulator with a top coat of their Extreme Chassis Black satin paint. All new ball joints and control arm bushings were installed.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2012, 03:34 AM   #3
pdxhall

Just as I was going strong, in November of '08 I was laid off from my job. I knew in order to be able to get another reasonable job in this lousy economy I was going to have to get in school and get a degree in something, so in January of 2009, at the young age of 56, I was enrolled in college. With all the homework and classes the truck had to pretty much go on hold again. I did have some money saved for truck stuff so I got the okay from the wife to go ahead and purchase a complete Grand Slam Kit from CPP which included 2 1/2" dropped spindles, front discs, 1" dropped springs, front and rear dropped shocks, and 5" dropped rear springs. But it was going to be very slow going on getting anything done for the next couple of years.
Finally in the spring of 2011 my class load was lessening as I was close to graduation so I was able to get started on the truck again. I started assembly of the front end parts. I hung the manual steering box back on but the plan was for power steering.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2012, 03:45 AM   #4
pdxhall

During last summer I was finally done with school so I got quite a bit accomplished. I decided on a name for the truck and this build thread. Through all the stress of unemployment, going to school, and still having trouble getting employment after I finished school, the thing that kept me grounded and kept me going was my ability to go out to the garage and work on the truck and forget everything else for a while. I feel the truck kept me sane (well as sane as I can claim to be ) so it is officially the Sanity66.
The next thing to do was get some wheels on Sanity and get her turned around in the garage to start on the rear end.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2012, 03:50 AM   #5
pdxhall

Bed and rear suspension removed. Cleaning things up.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2012, 03:57 AM   #6
pdxhall

Rear clean up and painting continued. I also bought and installed new 5 lug chrome moly axles from Dutchman Axles and new seals and gaskets for the rear end.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2012, 04:08 AM   #7
pdxhall

I relocated the rear shocks using an idea that member FrizzleFry came up with. I also fabbed up the rear fuel tank before painting the frame rails. I am using a 64-66 f#$d mustang tank. I relocated the rear crossmember and trimmed the top of the frame rails slightly for fit. Very little hang down with this set up. Completing the rear suspension build was a new adjustable track bar and new trailing arm bushings.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2012, 04:14 AM   #8
pdxhall

At this point the front and rear ends are done except finishing up the brakes and installing the power steering gear. So I put the wheels back on and gave Sanity66 a breath of fresh air before the cab removal was started.
There's still some more catch up to do. To be continued.....
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #9
allaboutchevelles

Very nice looking truck, and what a good deal. It looks like a real nice solid truck. Your doing some nice work on it so far. Keep up the good work on it and keep the pics coming.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:50 PM   #10
66farmer

PDX

It looks like your doing a great job. I like the name (Sanity 66) when I'm working on my 66 I'm in my own world.

Keep up the good work
66farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #11
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutchevelles View Post
Very nice looking truck, and what a good deal. It looks like a real nice solid truck. Your doing some nice work on it so far. Keep up the good work on it and keep the pics coming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66farmer View Post
PDX

It looks like your doing a great job. I like the name (Sanity 66) when I'm working on my 66 I'm in my own world.

Keep up the good work
Thanks you guys, I have followed both of your builds and they have given me inspiration on mine. This is the first frame off build I've done and it can be a little overpowering at times so I get a lot of motivation watching your progress.

Continuing with my retrospective, my next step was to tear down the cab and get it off the frame. I built a cart of sorts to wheel the cab around in and got my son and a couple of his friends to help me lift the cab. I then started the cleanup of the remaining frame section, removed the trans crossmember, and ground the rivets off of the center crossmember but put a couple of bolts in it to hold it until I'm ready to either buy a new one or flip the old one. Could anyone tell me if there are any cons to just flipping the stock crossmember? I noticed that the astronaut was talking about this on his goldilocks build.
By now the weather was too cold to paint and still being unemployed I couldn't afford to buy anykind of heater so things slowed down quite a bit.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2012, 08:24 PM   #12
Doug19

Looks good. What did you use to get rid of the rust and crude on the frame. Also what did you paint the frame with.
Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #13
pdxhall

Here are the cab rust issues I'm dealing with. Not too much really. The doors are solid, the rear cab corners are good. The outer rockers are not even too bad but The floor need some attention and a little on the kick panels on both sides. The air vent cover on the passenger side was actually the worst rust on the cab but I was able to get a replacement from one of our members 63sbssbbw. The deal he gave me went far and above what I would have expected and epitomized the good will that I find on this site all the time. Thanks again 63sbssbbw.
My original plan was to send out may cab and have somebody do it for me but after checking costs, weighing my financial position at the time, and seeing to many of you jumping in and doing it yourself with great results, I decided to give it a go. My Christmas present was a new MIG135 from Eastwood and I have been practicing this winter. I'm about ready to give it a go on the actual body panels.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #14
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug19 View Post
Looks good. What did you use to get rid of the rust and crude on the frame. Also what did you paint the frame with.
I just used wire wheels, stripping pads, and a lot of elbow grease. I used Fast Etch solution on the bare metal after that and in a couple of small, hard to get at areas I coated with Rust Converter. Then it was 2 coats each of Eastwoods Rust Encapsulator and Extreme Chassis Black satin. It seems to be very durable.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:59 PM   #15
pdxhall

This pretty much brings me up to date on where I'm at on my build. The best news and the reason I thought I'd get a thread started is I finally got a job. Now I will have money again to put in to Sanity66 and get some much needed parts and supplies. I've got to get some patch panels; primer, paint, and some parts to finish the frame; and get busy. It will soon be warm enough up here to paint and that will help me get going again. The down side is also having a job will mean less time to commit. I'm not in a huge rush, though (too old for that), but will try to make progress and post pics as I do.
the last few pics are of my radiator support which was rotted on the bottom mount area like most are. I had had a hard time locating a good one on my unemployed budget and I've read the nightmare scenarios of the repops so I decided to practice my welding and see if I could repair it. Worst case is I would waste some time, gas, and wire and have to find another support anyway. I'm not done yet but here's the progress. I also picked up a power steering gear and pump so I'll be ordering an adapter plate from Captainfab very soon.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2012, 10:00 PM   #16
65Gregg

Looks great,glad to see you starting your build thread. And congrats on finishing school and getting back in the ranks of the employed!
Posted via Mobile Device

Blue long bed
White TBSS
61 Impala
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” Mark Twain
65Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:57 PM   #17
jimmydean

Congrats on the job and the truck is making solid progress (I wish mine was )
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #18
gostranger
65 suburban vortec 5.3 bagged

wow nice clean truck looks great!!
gostranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:25 PM   #19
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Gregg View Post
Looks great,glad to see you starting your build thread. And congrats on finishing school and getting back in the ranks of the employed!
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydean View Post
Congrats on the job and the truck is making solid progress (I wish mine was )
Quote:
Originally Posted by gostranger View Post
wow nice clean truck looks great!!
Thanks guys! I just finished a 4 day, 12 hr. work week and now I have 4 days off. The weather is improving and I'm hoping to make some more progress.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #20
pdxhall

I haven't got a lot done the last few days. I'm still finishing up a remodel of one of our bathrooms, but I did manage to wheel the frame out of the garage and clean up some. I also worked on the radiator support and I cleaned up what was left to do on the frame rails. I'm still torn on whether to flip the center crossmember or order a new dropped one. I'm leaning toward the new one because I want the exhaust cutouts and I really don't have the means to cut ones out of the old crossmember and have them look decent.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #21
chad64chevy

pdx, glad to see you getting some work done, and made a build thread! i had to paint my frame the same way in stages, i now all about being laid off! i was laid off for 15 mths., thats when i got a lot done on my truck as well, started working again and progress has slowed down!! anyways nice work and keep it up!
chad64chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #22
pdxhall

Thanks Chad, the only bad thing is when you're laid off money is short but when you're working time is short. Oh well, just gotta do what you can.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:40 AM   #23
C@rnut001

It is looking really good. Congrats on your new job and good luck on it working out well for you and your family. Great to see that you can do some more work to your truck.
C@rnut001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:18 PM   #24
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by C@rnut001 View Post
It is looking really good. Congrats on your new job and good luck on it working out well for you and your family. Great to see that you can do some more work to your truck.
Thanks, man. It's a slow process but satisfying to see progress as it moves along.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:45 AM   #25
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Thanks for starting the build thread. What a great looking original. It must have been fate that put it right in front of you like that. Nice to see so much progress in spite of everything that gets in the way. It’s good you had a plan. It’s easy to tear down too much all at once and then become completely overwhelmed when it sits in pieces for too long at a time.

A minor suggestion, you might want to check the positioning of your rear shocks. Unless they were designed to be installed this way, they may be upside down which will negate their effectiveness. In the old days before gas shocks, we used to “bleed” shocks before installing by turning them upside down and cycling the shock, then turning them over and doing it again several times until they became really stiff. In the upside down stroke the internal valves were designed to have almost no resistance at all. Although I suppose shock design could have changed since then.

Are you going to keep the original engine and transmission or make any modifications? And congratulations on the new job! Again thanks for sharing the pictures and the history of your truck. I’m sure there are more than a few of us that find working on these things therapeutic.