The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2014, 11:17 PM   #1
parkerparkerm

A ford guy with his first Chevy!

Well I've been wanting a mud truck for awhile and my dad said he had a lead on an 80s Chevy mud truck his friend had down the road from us. So we checked it out and bought it. It's an 85,(I haven't checked the title but he did so I could be wrong), c10 converted to 4x4 with a decently strong what we think is a 305, a rebuilt th350 and a 205 t-case. Has 3/4ton dodge axles under it, 44 front 70 rear 4.10s, 38x13x16 swampers and I have no idea how much lift. Practically new seat, decent interior really, both gas tanks are new and what not. Tomorrow were gonna rebuild the carb as right now it idles extremely wierd and the it's on to putting in the driveshaft and making a bumper so we can test it out! Only questions thus far is can I tell if it's actually a 305 based on part numbers or do I have to take it apart and physically measure the stroke or bore? Does any one know the bolts needed for the drive flange on the t-case for the front driveshaft by chance, looks like a 3/8s bolt or close to. Any comments good or bad are welcomed, I like to know what y'all think and anything I should know I would apriciate and this is the first Chevy I've owned along with the first mud truck! Thanks y'all!

Before the grille was put on, my friend said he has a perfect one I could have for it.

As far as I know it's got 4.10 gears in the axles, before we ever officially owned it I was trying to get a set of 1 tons from my friends suburban, which has 4.10s. Hopefully I can atleast get the front axle from him.
parkerparkerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:33 PM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: A ford guy with his first Chevy!

That front lift cross bar looks weak. At least weld in some supports for it.

Other then that it looks like a good start for a fun truck.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:50 PM   #3
andrewmp6

It has a body lift on it maybe 3 inches and the rear lift block on it looks to me about 3 or 4 inches.And like said that front spring hanger cross bar looks a little weak.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:52 PM   #4
parkerparkerm

The front spring hanger looks weak in the pics but it's twice as thick as the frame and has some support bars on it I guess you can't see them in the pics. It does have a 3" body life but it also has a rear shackle flip. I already want some bigger tires lol
Old 04-26-2014, 11:58 PM   #5
Sodell

The engine casting numbers are on the deck of the engine behind the drivers side head. They are hard to see. If you cant see them, get some silly putty, press on the numbers and read it in a mirror...

[IMG][/IMG]

87 Chevy 2WD SWB, 88 4x4 LWB
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=610652
Sodell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:10 AM   #6
andrewmp6

Its not the size of the spring hanger its the welds on or lacking looks weak.top of the list will be add a steering box brace these trucks are known for cracking the frame around the steering box mount. http://offroaddesign.com/index.htm has a bolt in one or if its cracked they have a weld in one.And if you never been to http://diy4x.com/ they make a lot of stuff for that truck from a metal dash and roll cage to half doors.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:58 AM   #7
parkerparkerm

Thanks tor the casting number location, we will look Into it. There's a lot of cool stuff on that website I gotta say
Old 06-09-2014, 11:23 AM   #8
parkerparkerm

So far we have ran the truck twice. We have a HORRIBLE oil leak coming from the back of the passenger valve cover/ distributor area. We have yet to get a distributor gasket, hopefully that will fix it. We redid all the bearings and packed everything with grease, but we managed to screw up every wheel seal lol. The little 305 does good in open bog, but we want more power now(especially low end).

We have a 427 tall deck in a school bs in our yard and we want to take t out and throw in some quality bearings and rid it of the 4 ring pistons and governed Intake, what else would you guys recommend us to do to it on the cheap side? Talking no more than 500$ pls headers, carb, and Intake? Also, I've read before you cv can use the existing motor mounts and even the flexplate, since the bellhousing is the same and both engines are internally balanced. Just want this part confirmed, thanks.