The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-15-2014, 10:06 PM   #26
joedoh

Re: slow ride (redux)

still shaking down, the old MIC manuals are leaky (in the up direction, go figure) so I ordered some little larrys manuals and fittings. EDC builds pressure stupid quick even at idle, and if you have the engine rpm up at all it just zooms. I learned that lesson on my old galaxie with the york compressor EDC, just such fast recovery times, I will never have another electric compressor. from 100psi to 185psi at idle, maybe 22 seconds.

found a rear bumper today, its a 73-87 sport bumper but with a little trimming it will look great. better than nothing in my opinion.

it was out in kingman, the guy has a 472 56 hardtop with 31x18.5 rear tires, says it runs 10.88s. check out that single circuit master! still drums, says it takes a while to slow down

stopped at smittys while in town

needs very little to be a daily now, headlight is crooked from a missing adjuster but I had one. putting in shoulder belts and the rear bumper, I think thats it for kyles work!

then my finish work starts, carpet, gauge cluster mod, stereo, alarm, power locks, bed floor, etc etc etc. But plenty of driving in my future.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:52 PM   #27
joedoh

kyle trimmed up the bumper and made some brackets. its an aesthetic piece only, it tilts with the bed so it has no function other than concealing the gap, but it was a must have to me.

the seat belts are in, the truck is "done" even though I have new valves and a new steering adapter in the mail. The billet specialties steering adapter holds the lecarra wheel too close to the stalks so you cant click the high beams.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:27 PM   #28
joedoh

drove it home, about a 30 minute ride in traffic.

I stayed on surface streets most of the way but it started getting dark and the headlights wouldnt come on for some reason, so I jumped on the highway.

edc building pressure while kyle talks about the HVAC

driving impressions:
the close ratio steering with a borgeson joint is REALLY responsive.
the shocks are amazing, I have no concept of ride height yet and was actually driving so low I bottomed out under hard braking, but not driving. the ride was taut but not stiff, compliant without being pillowy.
It is lacking power, like it still has a big ass vacuum leak. I wonder if the center spark leads got reversed or something during the header install, because it is loud, louder than it was ever before. It still had enough power to cruise on the highway at 65mph. The speedo is way off, WAY off, owing to the 31.5" rear tires I bet.
The MIC valves are sticky so I ordered (and received) some little larrys valves. I will put them in tomorrow when the fittings come in from Gauge.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:12 PM   #29
joedoh

the lecarra wheel doesnt let the high beam stalk come far enough forward. and the wheel is farther away, enough to feel unnatural when driving

I ordered and received the correct adapter but it cam sans nuts and bolts, and it is black powdercoat, I decided I could do something better.browsing the local cl I found:

50 dollars and 10 minutes later

fits perfect, all the stalks work now, and best of all it is the perfect distance away from the driver now. in advance of questions, YES I did use a tire 4 way to change out the wheel. NO I did not need a wheel puller.

found an old picture from two months ago. this truck was just keeping the garage from floating away and was buried under remodel and moving stuff.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:29 PM   #30
duallyjams

good deal on the wheel

63 GMC V6 4speed carryall
65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto
68 K20 327/4 speed, buddy buckets
2002 GMC CC Dually Duramax

64 GMC lwb 3/4 V6 4speed SOLD
66 GMC swb bbw buddy buckets SOLD

IG duallyjams

The only thing that stays the same is constant change!
duallyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 05:36 PM   #31
Thunderwagen

Cool project man!
Old 12-23-2014, 06:20 PM   #32
joedoh

thanks guys.

my eagle eyed brother spotted that it is actually a 65 corvette horn button in that impala wheel, thats pretty cool.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:09 PM   #33
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I was wondering about that. Been over 20 years since I had my Impala of that era and just couldn't remember if mine had that for the horn button or not.

It looks really good!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:42 AM   #34
joedoh

thanks! it looks really close to the seat in some pictures, but its not at all. I think by far that is the best looking wheel that could be in the truck

Last edited by joedoh; 12-24-2014 at 02:11 AM.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:36 PM   #35
joedoh

it was the hit of the christmas party, I parked it on the lawn.

drove it some more today, its definitely running better and better with use but I cant seem to get any high rpm urgency from it. tomorrow I will pick up plugs which I am sure are junked and gunked from the builder two builders ago just flooding the heck out of it the last time it ran under its own power. I will also try putting a vacuum gauge on it because it is acting like a big vacuum leak, maybe at the EGR valve, which I want to remove anyway. I might even put in the new manual valves and run to WalMart for a super secret project that everyone will love

Old 01-04-2015, 08:02 PM   #36
joedoh

ordering carpet tomorrow, got the silvered wood for the bed.

messing with the headlights, love the look of the 50% power high beams, the 98 had a BCM with DRLs so I am unsure of if I want this feature to stay or not. having trouble blowing headlight fuses, suspect the turn stalk switch because when I turn on the headlights only one high beam is on and the fuses blow shortly after.

havent had a lot of time to mess with it, my garage is full of my major remodel stuff so all work takes place outside.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:17 AM   #37
joedoh

what a swing, below zero one week and in the 50s today. I swapped plugs and wires and went for a blast.

runs better than ever, keeping up with traffic

still chasing a high rpm lack of power, wants to rev to 5k or so. I think maybe the fuel filter is clogged up from a few idle years. I'll try changing it out tomorrow.

edit: well reading online it seems like maybe the timing chain is the problem, it may have skipped a few teeth and is retarded. I am going to order a timing kit since the donor S10 has 114k and should be replaced anyway.

Last edited by joedoh; 01-20-2015 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:20 PM   #38
cheessee

Got any pics of the frame swap? Did you just cause the front clip then build rails?
cheessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:43 PM   #39
joedoh

like most 60-66 the cab floor was pretty rusty, so I actually cut the floors and firewall out of both the donor and the donee and welded them together, keeping the cowl of the fullsize and joining the s10 airbox to it so that all the HVAC stuff on the s10 firewall would work. the wheels didnt line up right with the firewalls lined up, so new body mounts were built 4 inches back from stock and using the stock s10 mounts in the floor.

I just posted these pics in another thread, but here they are again
body mounts:

clip transition:

fish plates for strength:

cleaned up

here are a few of the under construction parts, remember that we did the cab swap twice, the 62 truck at first only had a bill of sale so it was easier for the DMV to title it as a 98 that I had the title for. Over my dead body though, so I found a 65 with title and transferred the cab.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:14 PM   #40
cheessee

Holy **** lol nice work for sure! Looks awesome was wondering how u went about using an s10 frame under one.. To much work for me tho nice work
cheessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:02 PM   #41
stepside83

this is awesome cant wait to see more of the new valves
stepside83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:05 PM   #42
joedoh

got the gauges yesterday as a matter of fact

but I have to do intake gaskets on the 49 swap donor sonoma tomorrow, so the 65 can wait.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:19 PM   #43
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
its alive... ITS ALIVE!!!

kyle swapped out benches, its a lot better than the old bench that looked like a casting couch.

drives like a dream, amazing what the right parts will do.

it now has hydroboost, 4 corner long travel shocks, quick ratio steering box, custom long control arms, edc, manual valves, header with 370z center resonator and smithys glass pack, and HID 7" lights

Joe

When you guys mounted the seat did you use the stock brackets from that bench or modify it some?

I am planning on putting a bench from a 94 in my 64 and wondered how you mounted yours.

Thanks

Bill's Gallery
Old 01-26-2015, 01:39 AM   #44
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Joe

When you guys mounted the seat did you use the stock brackets from that bench or modify it some?

I am planning on putting a bench from a 94 in my 64 and wondered how you mounted yours.

Thanks

stock 95 brackets on the seat, new studs up through the floor. BUT the wrinkle is that my truck has 100% of an s10 floorpan. so I dont think that tells you anything useful, sorry!

for a 60-66 floor I think the brackets are right on the sloped part of the floors, but I am not the expert.

edit: oh and I just had a brainspark on the headlight problems. The DRLs work great and then for some reason one of the HID would turn on, then blow the headlight fuse after which the other HID would turn on, all independent of the headlight switch. it was a 4 headlight system, and the replacement lights are technically a 4 headlight setup with an H3 high beam on each side and an HID low beam on each side. I wired the low beams of the harness to relays to turn on the HID without paying very close attention to positive and negative, after all its just turning on a relay. I wired the high beams of the harness directly to the H3 bulbs without paying close attention to positive and negative because filaments dont care a whit about direction. This would be all of it, except for the odd behavior of the lights.

my brainspark was, thinking about an H3 light, it has a lead for positive and grounds through the base. THROUGH THE BASE. so does the shield of the HID light. thought of it yet? where it doesnt matter to the filament, the grounds are shared between the H3 and the HID shield, so one H3 is obviously wired with positive to the base, shorting out the fuse on one light when it turns on and causing a wiring loop that turns on the HID on the opposite side. I used quick connects, so it should be fixable in a few seconds. I thoroughly screwed the pooch haha. at least I can laugh about it.

Last edited by joedoh; 01-26-2015 at 06:53 AM.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:29 AM   #45
joedoh

did intake gaskets on my 49 donor today! not a bad job just time intensive, about 6 hours including a new radiator, idler, tensioner, and belt.

look at how blown out the coolant ports are! (the four corners). someone had done this job before and made two mistakes, they didnt use metal gaskets and they didnt replace the manifold bolts.

all back together, runs better than ever. If you have a 4.3 V6 with over 120k, you are on borrowed time!

so now I can get back on the 65. got my timing set today

tomorrow I will drive it gently to the exhaust shop, I am not happy with the exhaust sound, it sounds a little like a blown out cavalier. I picked up a nice chambered muffler for the rear and will switch out the 350z resonator off the collector with the smithys glasspack, I think upstream it will have the desired effect.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:21 AM   #46
joedoh

did the timing chain!

bought an underdrive crank pulley for a "while I am there"

new timing set, I ended up buying a factory tensioner.

like any left brained engineer, I dont do pretty much anything without studying in detail first. so I read and read and read about timing chain replacement. reading about it told me that there was a TSB for the oil orifice galley plug. when I cracked open the timing cover I knew immediately what the problem was, oil starvation on the chain. look at all that burnt oil, it was sticky like flypaper in there, meaning the orifice has been plugged for a while. the chain was so stretched out, the timing marks were about a half tooth off.

of course, in all my research and in all the how to's I read and watched (even a video in spanish!) nobody said I needed a 3 jaw puller for the crank gear. I mean, how the heck does everyone fail to mention that? so thats where I was, stuck till harbor freight opens.

here is a funny one though, there is so much room under the hood of this truck with the 2.2 in there, that I can do the whole job from up top. And when I couldnt get the impact between the balancer puller and the core support, no problem :rotf:

anyway, I quit last night without a puller.

today:
the levitating 65

removed the old galley plug, new one from dealer was $1!

cleaned up

new timing set. this was harder than it should have been. the compression kept kicking the crank out of alignment at the slightest bump

buttoned up!

I have a running video but photobucket is so dumb about videos now.

took it on the highway and its a lot quieter but still lacks some top end. I will drive it again tomorrow, was still chasing an electrical fault. I swear to heaven next step is an eaton haha.

carved out the astray for the little larrys, need a holesaw for the gauges.

Last edited by joedoh; 02-08-2015 at 02:26 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:41 AM   #47
Grizz1963

THIS.....

Is just beautiful !!!

I would love a steering wheel like that on my truck. (Like mine, but LOVE this one)
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:49 PM   #48
joedoh

thanks grizz, its a 66 impala steering wheel with a 65 corvette center emblem. I was at the swap meet this weekend and saw a couple 67 impala wheels and almost picked up an extra.

drove the truck around a while today, it kept getting better and better and better. I changed the fuel filter and now its amazing. its not a race truck, but I hit the stock speed governor around 85 indicated. Went to a friends house about 20 minutes away. he had borrowed my plasma and the old cart was kind of pitiful so he made me a new one as thanks

this is what he used it on, he just z'd the front but it looks amazing now, no more gangsta lean to the rear

I had to watch daylight because I still havent fixed the switch for the headlights but on the way home I cruised at 70mph in 5th gear and didnt have to downshift a single time, before the timing chain I couldnt shift out of 4th without it falling on its face and had to shift to third every time a gust of wind blew and slowed the truck down. Even the exhaust sounds better, but I am still going to change it tomorrow.

a little early to call success but it definitely isnt the slowest thing on the road by a large margin, and it cruises so sweet I had a grin just pasted on.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:59 AM   #49
joedoh

here is the timing chain video, no more mini diesel!

had the exhaust sealed up today, much quieter on the highway. doesnt look like 70mph but it sure as heck is, check out the 65mph speed limit sign. I am so ecstatic that it runs so well now, in 5th gear it wont accelerate very well owing to the 31" rear tires but a drop to 4th and it will get a ticket in 49 states!

Last edited by joedoh; 02-11-2015 at 01:20 AM.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:21 AM   #50
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Bill's Gallery