The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2021, 08:00 PM   #1
SOON2BLAZE
Account Suspended

Project Old Colorado

Well somehow, some way the old truck itch got me again. This time I was thinking I wanted a 63-66. I was looking around on Craigslist and found this sweetie. I had posted it in the craigslist finds and immediately regretted it as I really wanted it for myself. So today I pulled the trigger and bought it. I have hauled 2 motorhomes home previously as they were loaded with good options. This one isn't loaded, but damn it is clean. Just finished shortening a 71 long bed/ leaf frame I got for 250.00 and I have the majority of parts stashed: New Camaro tank, QA1 coil over rear, 5 lug rear with a new posi /3.42 gears and my old 7x15 rally wheels. Have a 292 in the garage and the motorhome has the original 292 with 33K on the odometer, so one of them will get rebuilt and fuel injected. Hope to put a TKX trans in it in the next few months. After I finished my last blazer and went back to school I gave all my unused truck parts away. Most of my friends kept them and hooked me back up with the parts ( in trade for ammo as a storage fee) So here we go again. And yes the camper is heading to the dump unless you want to come get it in Colorado.
Attached Images

Last edited by SOON2BLAZE; 06-22-2021 at 08:08 PM.
SOON2BLAZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 08:03 PM   #2
SOON2BLAZE
Account Suspended

Re: Project Old Colorado

more
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2021, 10:26 PM   #3
raggedjim

Well, this should be cool. Murphy's Law was one of my favorite builds.

Good luck, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 12:39 PM   #4
SOON2BLAZE
Account Suspended

Thanks for the kind words Jim! Looking forward to getting this project going. Frame gets dropped off to get blasted on Monday. Now to find time to get to Colorado to get it picked up and towed home. I had thought about ditching the camper and trying to drive it back but that would be a long slow drive.
Old 07-03-2021, 09:20 AM   #5
Paul Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BLAZE View Post
Thanks for the kind words Jim! Looking forward to getting this project going. Frame gets dropped off to get blasted on Monday. Now to find time to get to Colorado to get it picked up and towed home. I had thought about ditching the camper and trying to drive it back but that would be a long slow drive.
Yea, but you have got somewhere to stay if you don't ditch the camper! Sounds like a grand adventure to me.

P.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=658621

If it goes wrong, I blame the Internet...
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 08:47 PM   #6
SOON2BLAZE
Account Suspended

Back with the truck! 10 hours drive there on Friday, 10 hours from set up till we pulled out late Saturday afternoon. 12 hours home on Sunday. Paid the dealership 200.00 to let me use the lot behind the dealership to tear it down and they lifted the engine and the cab out with a fork lift even though I took a cherry picker. Called a tow company, said it would cost 300. to use an extra long roll back. Then the driver said he didn't have an auto salvage to haul it to because it was after-hours and none of them would take it. The owenr of Birkenkotter motors said I could pay him and he would get rid of it. Couldn't get the $ out of my pocket fast enough! Figured this experience would cure my 15 y.o. son of wanting to work on old trucks, it didn't. Now to get the shortened frame painted and get it on there.
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2021, 12:40 AM   #7
Low Elco

Whoa! That's an innovative approach! Nice stuff, that motor doesn't even look like it's been run!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 07:18 PM   #8
SOON2BLAZE
Account Suspended

This would be the 3rd motorhome I've plundered. I bought a 67 for the buddy buckets and front clip, a fully loaded 72 and this one. The cab over usually protects the cab quite well from water and they were rec vehicles that guys usually loaded up on the options. I suspect the motor was repainted, but I'll see how things look when I pull the head. Should be a low mileage motor. It fired right up when I drove it
Old 09-10-2021, 02:55 AM   #9
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Sweet build! Looking forward to updates and the 292 build.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 12:13 AM   #10
SOON2BLAZE
Account Suspended

Thanks TJ, I've been watching your build and videos for some time. I went to pick up the frame from the blasters today but there was some flash rust from sitting in their shop for a few weeks so they said they would touch everything up the first of this next week. I plan on PORing it as soon as I get it home. $137. to blast the frame upper and lower A arms, crossmember and sway bay. Money well spent after I have done 2 other frames at home in the past Found some factory 63-66 cab mounts, radiator support and frame horns and hope to order them tonight. Also found all the factory power steering parts and a good 292 AC compressor mount. The hunt is half the fun.
Old 02-24-2022, 03:01 AM   #11
SOON2BLAZE
Account Suspended

Back from the dead... The truck sat on the trailer in the garage since bringing it home from Colorado as I had to finish grad school and everything required with that. I learned that while a 63-72 SWB frames are similar, the frame horns and cab mounts are different. I sidelined the shortened 71 frame I have and brought home a 65 LWB with a trashed bed, good 3.73 rear end and a usable 283 / sm420 (which I cant seem to give away) Next I chopped the frame, had it blasted and then had a good friend weld it and added a fish plate and an old ECE C channel brace. In the last week I POR'd everything, installed all new Moog suspension parts on a 72 front disc cross member and added Bell drop spindles with CPP drop springs. I had considered the caster mod, but may use the QA1 front suspension at a later date. In the back I added a QA1 rear coil over kit on a 78 rear axel, disc brakes a limited slip diff and new Richmond 3.42 gears and reinforced trailing arms. The real prize was getting the cab on the frame! Last week my father in law gave me a 454 that I will rebuild and add a EFI kit to, so now I have two 292's I'll have to figure something else to do with. Going to try a Camaro tank with an EFI in-tank pump. My friends cousin has a 63 fleet side bed he wants sell me so we'll see what shape that is in some time next week.

The next week will consist of getting the bed,
ordering the engine rebuild kit,
finding some bucket seats and carpet
pricing AC and EFI
figuring out who still has a TKX .72 transmission in stock
might talk to a painter about adding white to the cab top
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2022, 03:10 AM   #12
SOON2BLAZE
Account Suspended

more:
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2022, 12:25 PM   #13
SCOTI

Nice. Going to patina-match the bed to the cab/front clip?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 12:31 AM   #14
SOON2BLAZE
Account Suspended

Scoti, Yes I'm most likely going to try to mach the patina on the bed. Eventually in a few years I'll have it all repainted in saddle / white two tone. Tomorrow nights plan i getting the interior and fire wall stripped down and cleaned up.
Old 07-15-2022, 05:32 AM   #15
SOON2BLAZE
Account Suspended

Back from the Dead! So FJB's economics had the project on the back burner, but I figured I could make some compromises to get it going again. Monday I ran to northern Utah for a set of sweet 67 Camaro seats, then burned over to Twin Falls ID for a step side bed. 1300 miles in 35 hours with the wife on a fun road trip. The Bed seller even surprised me by having it hanging from a forklift when I got to his place. Now to weld up all the little holes a farmed drilled into the bed for various projects... The woods all still there as well. Back at it!
Attached Images

Last edited by SOON2BLAZE; 07-16-2022 at 05:13 AM.
Old 08-16-2022, 08:12 AM   #16
SOON2BLAZE
Account Suspended

Been at it hard and heavy the last few weeks. I had uncovered the flooring and found the most beautiful floor pans and rockers I've ever seen. Then I stripped out the dash cleaned up the gauge cluster and put a satin clearcoat over the factory dark fawn. It wasn't the color I wanted but since it was original I thought I'd keep it. Lined the inside with sound deadener and some thermal protection and put it all back together. I look forward to driving with the ididit tilt and the smaller steering wheel. Still waiting on all the fawn carpeting. Yesterday was new wheel day! TTO's and Yokohama 17's. Off to training for a week at work, then I'll blow the bed apart for blasting, finish the brake system and get going on the engine / trans. Pics to follow
Old 08-16-2022, 10:08 AM   #17
Braunschweiger

Beautiful to look at, fine details.

Greetings Harald

My 62 build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829782
Braunschweiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 12:26 PM   #18
pdxhall

Very nice truck. You don't see many in that good of shape. Do you know the mileage? The engine bay is super clean.

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 01:59 PM   #19
SOON2BLAZE
Account Suspended

Sorry for the pic delay. The odometer says 33k & change. Hope to order some willwood front brakes to finish that system up and grab the TKX 5 speed next week.
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2022, 11:07 PM   #20
SOON2BLAZE
Account Suspended

Been awhile since I posted and update but I've been going hard at it. Interior is done with the exception of new glass. Rebuilt the 292 this weekend and my father in-law is doing a valve job on the head. Put a Hy-Tork cam from 12Bolt .com in it and replaced all the bearing, rings & gears. The cross hatch pattern looked good on the 33,000 motor, but I ran a bottle brush hone through it for good measure. Had the stepside bed blasted 2 months ago and she's rough but usable.
The original wood bed disenagrated when I dissembled the bed so used some of the fake plastic wood from Home Depot last week end and have everything set in place but not drilled and bolted. TKX 5 speed and a Sniper EFI are on the garage floor awaiting install. Think I have everything in hand to make it run soon but the radiator, electric fan & drive shaft. Interesting side note: No one in my area has the ability to surface a fly wheel. Found a diesel shop in an hour north in Cedar City that will. Strange Days.
Old 11-13-2022, 11:38 PM   #21
SOON2BLAZE
Account Suspended

Pics
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2022, 10:42 AM   #22
88Stanger

looking Great! It is great to watch the build and read the story with it all. I cannot get over how awesome that dash is!
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 11:13 AM   #23
joesscamaro

Good to see you back with updates...keep them coming!
joesscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 08:37 PM   #24
SOON2BLAZE
Account Suspended

Thank you for the kind words. This weekend was a thrasher. Got the flywheel turned on Friday, degreased and scrubbed the entire engine, got new seals in and got it painted. Yesterday it was new clutch, motor mounts, starter and the trans before stabbing it in. Tremec advised against using transmission crossmembers with tang mounts on them so I used a Doug's (thorley) transmission mount that got welded together for strength. This week: get the shifter hole drilled, measure for a driveshaft and get the head back from my father in law who is doing a three angle valve job on it. Might get the doghouse on it at thanksgiving if I can get the intake and exhaust manifolds on first.
Attached Images

Last edited by SOON2BLAZE; 11-20-2022 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-21-2022, 03:17 AM   #25
Braunschweiger

Great build, it's going to be very nice

Greetings Harald

My 62 build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829782
Braunschweiger is offline   Reply With Quote