The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2022, 08:26 PM   #1
Boog
laying low

bad radio

Well the radio is crapping out in my 91 Chevy trk. The volume is nonresponsive, the cassette/equalizer are off and the clock won't reset. The only thing working is the led display. It's happened a few times recently but a restart fixed it. Now it won't. I've read it's the main unit under the dash that's failing.
I really don't want another radio installed in the center and the idea of using a tiny remote control to operate said radio that close sounds ridiculous.
I like the location of the factory radio and I have found 3 aftermarket radios that mount in that location. It has a receiver unit that mounts under dash like the OE unit. RetroSound Santa Cruz from Crutchfield.
Anybody have any input on these in our trucks?

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_370850....html?tp=49934

Is there any place out there that rebuilds the factory receivers?
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 07:31 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: bad radio

There are vintage auto radio restorers/repairers out there. I imagine they can work on these.

That's nice one is made that is this n that capable. I bet someone could do all that with an original radio like they do the older ones

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 04-06-2022 at 10:10 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 08:19 AM   #3
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I have a RetroSound Hermosa in my 70 and it works good for my needs. I didn't realize they made them for the 88-94's. I had always put a single DIN in where the cassette was in center of dash. The RetroSound are pricey, so if all you are using is the radio, I am not sure it's worth that kind of money, just to have it in the stock location. If mine for the 70 was not a gift, I might have gone for one of the units where they converted a stock radio to handle the USB and auxiliary connections..

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 04:33 PM   #4
Second Series

I had a similar problem with the radio in my '88. I took the radio out, opened it up and separated the buttons. You can peel up the membrane switches and burnish the contacts with a pencil eraser. It was worth a try, and it fixed the problem for me.
1955.2 Chevy 6700 Bus/RV
1990 Chevy K1500
Second Series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 06:57 PM   #5
Boog
laying low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
I have a RetroSound Hermosa in my 70 and it works good for my needs. I didn't realize they made them for the 88-94's. I had always put a single DIN in where the cassette was in center of dash. The RetroSound are pricey, so if all you are using is the radio, I am not sure it's worth that kind of money, just to have it in the stock location.
That's my thinking too Bill.
I miss playing my old CDs too.
I am slow to come around to downloading to an ipod, or stik or phone and plugging it into the radio or going blue tooth or whatever. I know, I am behind the times, technically.
I have seen some CD playing radios for these trucks in that center section and do not like the way they stick out so far but there is only so much room, I know. I can't make up my mind.

Old 04-07-2022, 07:03 PM   #6
Boog
laying low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Series View Post
I had a similar problem with the radio in my '88. I took the radio out, opened it up and separated the buttons. You can peel up the membrane switches and burnish the contacts with a pencil eraser. It was worth a try, and it fixed the problem for me.
Thanks.
I haven't thought of opening up the control panel to inspect it. The display is working. The clock is frozen. The radio station and volume level are shown although there is dead silence. From what I have read most all the problems with these radios were in the receiver unit. Guess not.

Old 04-09-2022, 09:19 PM   #7
Boog
laying low

I opened the control panel today. I got down to the buttons. I picked at that membrane but the two hard plates seem to be rivetted together so I stopped. I was able to get a peek in there under the membrane and it looked great. I took some sand paper to the pins connecting the two plates together and reassembled it again. Still not working so I'm done with this one. Thanks for the idea.

Old 04-14-2022, 09:34 AM   #8
Gotenntitans

I had a new Sirius XM capable stereo with bluetooth installed in my truck with all new speakers front & back. I couldn't be more pleased with it. Had it done by a business that specializes in that sort of thing in Arkadelphia, AR. I can give you his info if you want it, Boog.
2003 Chevy Silverado
Gotenntitans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 12:06 PM   #9
dave6672

I'm having issues with the stock radio in my 93 Suburban as well Boog and am trying to decide exactly what I want to do. I like to stock location, but would like to have a CD player so I may end up installing one in the middle. I had one there in my 91 C1500 but didn't like reaching for it (I know that sounds lazy). Plus my speakers sound crappy and the ones in the dash don't work at all, but that's probably the control unit or the radio that's messed up
and not sending them a signal. I may just replace all 6 speakers when/if I replace the radio. Keep us posted.

1972 K20
1972 C20 Highlander
1957 Chevy 210 Delray
1967 C10
dave6672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 01:14 PM   #10
Boog
laying low

Thanks John. I'll most likely do my own installation. If not we have a nice audio shop here. I'm not interested in X-m or sirius type subscriptions. And while most of my favorite types of music are on CD's I am coming to the realization I need to catch up to the times and reconsider a remote CD player or I pod or what ever those things are. I don't spend that much time in my vehicles anymore since I am no longer in the work force so a radio only should be enough anyway.
Dave. I am just about to order up one of those Retro Sound Santa Cruz units. I really want to keep the radio controls in front of me in the stock location. I like the look and it's way easier for these old eyes to read, without bifocals. Those units also have the hookups for said external players. So that radio with new speakers should be all that I'll need. I'm not interested in tweets, mid range, amps and all that jazz. I don't want to rock anybody else's world. I just really want to keep this nice truck as near stock and clean as I can. At just a walk by, 9 out of 10 people would not notice the R-Sound radio isn't stock. They have 3 versions of that radio with the highest priced being $359 with lots of features.
Attached Images

Last edited by Boog; 04-14-2022 at 01:47 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 04-15-2022, 09:31 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

The issue I have with my '95 AM/FM is the rear speakers always work. After driving long enough, the passenger front comes on. That sometimes startles me . On a rare occasion, the driver side will eventually start working. It seems lately the front right is coming on most all the time. Is it fixing itself?

I wonder what causes this. I'm sure it's in the stereo and I guess it's an as it warms up it works thing. For it's first 20 years the Suburban was a sheriff's K-9 unit, so radio was probably not played much... I assume.

I'm not concerned because I traded my cubby to a member who installed an aftermarket stereo w/CD that left the area open where the CD went. So I have that upgrade stereo I'll be putting in.

Silly and forgetful me only remembered recently, that I still have the Alpine stereo that I saved from the '95 K3500 Cheyenne (had same am/fm w/cubby) I lost in an accident in'04. I should have just put that in when I bought the Suburban 7 years ago, and still had the cubby I liked to stick my wallet in while driving. Of well, you know the saying, "Live and Lear... I mean forget"

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 04-15-2022 at 11:04 PM.
Old 04-15-2022, 11:14 AM   #12
Just call me Sean

I don't put anything in the cubby, it just falls out. I want to move my power mirror switch there. Right now it just lays on the floor. I didn't get the door mounted switch with the mirrors, and my door panels are different anyways so I rewired them for a different switch.
Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 11:08 PM   #13
special-K
Special Order

My wallet always stayed in both '95s I had. I have a console now, so no biggie. I wish I had door pockets. I'd like to find a pair of upgrade roll-up panels

Tim

Old 05-02-2022, 09:27 AM   #14
jwodahl

I have the santa cruz in mine.. works great.. a little fiddly on the installation, but once i figured it out, it went easy..
jwodahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 12:28 PM   #15
dave6672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Thanks John. I'll most likely do my own installation. If not we have a nice audio shop here. I'm not interested in X-m or sirius type subscriptions. And while most of my favorite types of music are on CD's I am coming to the realization I need to catch up to the times and reconsider a remote CD player or I pod or what ever those things are. I don't spend that much time in my vehicles anymore since I am no longer in the work force so a radio only should be enough anyway.
Dave. I am just about to order up one of those Retro Sound Santa Cruz units. I really want to keep the radio controls in front of me in the stock location. I like the look and it's way easier for these old eyes to read, without bifocals. Those units also have the hookups for said external players. So that radio with new speakers should be all that I'll need. I'm not interested in tweets, mid range, amps and all that jazz. I don't want to rock anybody else's world. I just really want to keep this nice truck as near stock and clean as I can. At just a walk by, 9 out of 10 people would not notice the R-Sound radio isn't stock. They have 3 versions of that radio with the highest priced being $359 with lots of features.
Thanks Boog, please keep us posted on this install. However I wish they made one with a CD player. I'm behind the times on most everything and just like the simplicity of putting in a CD and playing what I like, especially since I live in the sticks and can't pick up many stations.

1972 K20
1972 C20 Highlander
1957 Chevy 210 Delray
1967 C10
Old 07-12-2022, 06:22 PM   #16
Boog
laying low

I just finished up installing the Retro Sound Santa Cruz radio in the 91. I am impressed with the fit and finish and ease of installation. It came with an adapter for the wiring harness so I didn’t have to cut up the OE harness. I chose this radio because it fits in the OG location and looks like OE also and it has an aux input for remote music. 9.5 out of 10 lookers would not notice it’s not OG. Now I’ll buy some replacement speakers and be all set for tunes.
Attached Images

Last edited by Boog; 07-17-2022 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-24-2022, 07:58 PM   #17
Boog
laying low

The OE radio was operating with only 3 speakers so it wasn't good before it stopped working completely. The new radio was, well, playing. So I just put in 2 new Pioneers 4x6 in the dash and liked them so well I'm ordering 2 more for the rear panels. And they are on sale. It's getting better.

Old 07-24-2022, 08:20 PM   #18
Just call me Sean

Does the tape deck still work? I guess it wouldn't really matter unless you have a pile of tapes like I do.
Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 09:37 AM   #19
dave6672

Thanks for the update Boog. I'm getting tempted. My Suburban has 6 speakers and the dash ones make no sound so I assume that the under dash controller (or whatever it's called) is messed up and not sending them any signal, so I don't know whether they're good or not. Plus the other ones don't sound very good anyway, so I'll need 6 new speakers to go with my radio. Oh well, it's only money.......

1972 K20
1972 C20 Highlander
1957 Chevy 210 Delray
1967 C10
Old 07-25-2022, 04:35 PM   #20
Boog
laying low

Sean I can only assume the cassette player works. My parents never used it and I no longer have cassettes. The EQ does work or at least it did when the CDN quit. I'll pack it all away for a some day resurrection possibly.

Dave the new radio install was super easy since they included a wire harness adapter for the truck so I did not have to cut up the GM harness. I drilled 2 holes in the metal brace, that formerly the CDN attached to, to mount the new radio receiver to. It worked out great.
I now will look for a red middle dash bezel with pocket to replace mine with the eq/cassette player in it.
You have more speaker options for the 'burban that me with the pkup.

Old 07-29-2022, 02:09 PM   #21
hatzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
If you have a DVD or CD drive in your PC you can rip your own MP3 copies of your CD collection to load on an iPod classic or an SD card on your Android phone.
I use EAC (Exact Audo Copy) It seems to be quite forgiving of scratched but playable CDs https://www.exactaudiocopy.de/
Vinyl can be ripped but that's a bit more demanding.

If the radio supports A2DP Bluetooth you won't need a cord to plug your phone into it.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 07:53 PM   #22
Boog
laying low

I swapped out all 4 speakers for Pioneer 4x6 replacements and I bought a center dash bezel with pocket off ebay so I believe that's all I need to do to it. I'm not after big sound ( I have no need to rock anybody else's world ) and this setup sounds good to me.

Old 08-13-2022, 01:39 PM   #23
hatzie

That looks like the base model AM-FM Cassette radio
Less tempting for thieves
Having the storage pocket rather than the EQ stealths the radio even more.

If you have all the pieces of the original component setup I might find it entertaining to open them up to see what gave up the ghost.
If it's one or more of the Delco ASIC chips the party is over but I've revived equipment of this vintage by replacing common parts.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote