The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-06-2022, 09:54 AM   #1
scott123

LS swap with all I have sitting around

I have a '72 2WD SWB chassis, a 5.3 (70,000 miles/local furniture delivery van), a '53 3100 and a 2003 Tahoe (another 5.3/4L60).

First debate, build everything on the 72 chassis/platform and then cut it for the 53 SWB truck. Second option is to put the '53 on the Tahoe chassis and go that route.

If took apart all the A/C components from the Tahoe how hard will it be to transfer all that to the '53? under the dash and all?

There should be a ton of room for the A/C condenser but I would like to get everything under the dash.

or...(never used any vintage air stuff) do I just use the compressor on the 5.3 and pipe inside the can for and vintage air unit?

Thoughts of the professional 'swappers'.

Scott
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 04:46 PM   #2
LS short box

Re: LS swap with all I have sitting around

My.02.
The cab on your 53 is pretty small. I doubt the Tahoe AC unit will fit under the dash. I would go with a vintage air type unit.
In regards to the frame either way it is going to take a ton of fab work. I haven't done one but I believe there are companies that make parts to adapt S10 frames to your 53.
Good luck with your project.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 07:45 PM   #3
scott123

I will check out the S-10 route. I did not know that but I have seen several that are on S-10 frames. I guess there must be something to it.

I have cut a number of frames over the years so it is a big deal but not a deal breaker.

My most fun ever was a '85 SWB S-10 body on a 71 K5 chassis. I had to add to that frame to make it work.

I will also look into the vintage air route based on the size of the '53 cab.

I am hoping to get most of the way thru the next project with what I have laying around.

Thanks for the ideas.

Scott
Old 07-07-2022, 07:39 AM   #4
ls1nova71

If the 72 SWB frame is nice, I wouldn't cut it up, as they're getting harder to find these days. You could probably sell it and buy a whole S10 with the what you get from it.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 01:49 PM   #5
scott123

True.

I need to get it back to original. I bought it from a guy who was converting a 2WD to a 4WD and found it was much more to it than hanging springs on the chassis.

It needs the 2WD cross members and 2WD front suspension/steering.

For the chassis, with two rear ends, the 4WD crossmembers, a 350/205 combo I paid $250. It was maybe a day or so from going to the scrap yard.

The frame itself is in really good shape just not a complete 2WD or 4WD right now.

Maybe one day........

Scott
Old 07-08-2022, 02:41 PM   #6
cj847

I talked to a guy at a car show that had a 52. He had done the S10 swap. He said if he were to do it again he would just buy an aftermarket mustang II front suspension (like heidts or other).
Or you could scab on a front clip from a Camaro, Nova, etc if you can find one on craigslist.

For A/C I would look at Old Air. Their in cab unit is smaller than the vintage air.
You need to check with the aftermarket A/C company you choose to see if you can use your LS A/C compressor.
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 04:14 PM   #7
Rickysnickers

Just curious, but what is wrong with the '53's frame? Joedoh sells a kit for the '53 to mount in onto an S-10 frame. Look in the vendor's section and you will see it. He has also done several S-10 swaps of his own, which is how he created the kit he sell. If nothing is wrong with your original frame, I would lean toward using it, and as mentioned use a Mustang II style IFS.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 09:03 PM   #8
scott123

The 53 frame is OK. One spot where the cab mount attaches that may need some work.

I thought about the 72 frame because in its present state it is half and half and maybe not worth so much. Plus it is already here.

I just started reading/researching using the S-10 frame. I need to get some measurements because there is a S-10 Blazer at the shop with a bad transmission. Not sure about the wheelbases.

We have put a number of Camaro frontclips on the racecars over the years so that may be an option as well.

Weighing options.....

S