The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-25-2022, 11:30 PM   #1
TX3100Guy

New wiring harness question

I've begun laying out the new American Autowire classic upgrade harness in my 1953 truck. As expected there are a few additional wires that I don't need at this time. I don't want to totally eliminate them and give up the opportunity to use them in the future, on the other hand I don't want a rats nest of zip tied wires dangling around. What has anyone else done with them? An example is a whole wiring section dedicated to an electronic speedometer and tach (mine are mechanical driven by cables).

Another question. The wiring kit came with a set of courtesy lights that can be clipped up under the dash to provide light when entering the vehicle. The issue is that the require the use of door switches and as you know the truck doesn't have holes drilled in the A-pillar to support them and I don't see an easy way to get behind the A-pillar to pull the wires if I did drill the holes. Should I just ignore the lights?

My 1953 Chevy Work-In-Process Photo Gallery

"I don't have a carbon footprint, I drive everywhere."
TX3100Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 11:37 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: New wiring harness question

Sounds like your harness is a upgraded version of mine, I got the highway 15..
I would say if you dont need it,then dont pull it,, theres several circuits in mine I didnt use..
As for putting in door switches , I'm adding them to mine, it should be a problem to drill a hole in the kick panel to fish a wire thru from the door jamb.. another option I may look into is using the magnet switches that can be mounted on the latch side of the door..commonly used for those drop down running boards

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 11:47 PM   #3
TX3100Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Sounds like your harness is a upgraded version of mine, I got the highway 15..
I would say if you dont need it,then dont pull it,, theres several circuits in mine I didnt use..
As for putting in door switches , I'm adding them to mine, it should be a problem to drill a hole in the kick panel to fish a wire thru from the door jamb.. another option I may look into is using the magnet switches that can be mounted on the latch side of the door..commonly used for those drop down running boards
The magnetic switches are a great idea, I had those on my Jeep Wrangler for the electric drop down steps.......thanks for the reminder.

My 1953 Chevy Work-In-Process Photo Gallery

"I don't have a carbon footprint, I drive everywhere."
TX3100Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 09:22 AM   #4
my56chevytruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX3100Guy View Post
I've begun laying out the new American Autowire classic upgrade harness in my 1953 truck. As expected there are a few additional wires that I don't need at this time. I don't want to totally eliminate them and give up the opportunity to use them in the future, on the other hand I don't want a rats nest of zip tied wires dangling around. What has anyone else done with them? An example is a whole wiring section dedicated to an electronic speedometer and tach (mine are mechanical driven by cables).

Another question. The wiring kit came with a set of courtesy lights that can be clipped up under the dash to provide light when entering the vehicle. The issue is that the require the use of door switches and as you know the truck doesn't have holes drilled in the A-pillar to support them and I don't see an easy way to get behind the A-pillar to pull the wires if I did drill the holes. Should I just ignore the lights?
Don't ignore the lights but as I did, run them to an undercab manual switch. when you open the door, flip the switch to on; when you sit down, flip the switch to off. As far as the extra harness leads, we all have this issue of some sorts but I rolled mine together as tight as possible and attached them to the underside of the dash out of sight.
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 04:21 PM   #5
leegreen

about interior lights:
I used a 3 way switch on dash to have off - on - door. I put little flush courtesy lights in the kick panels as well as hooking the original dome light to the same circuit.

door pillar switches that close the contact when the door opens - ACDelco D6066 pops into a hole, you dont need access to the back to tighten it. You should be able to get a welding rod from wherever you drill the hole in the jamb to the opening at the top of kick panel to pull a wire through to the switch.
Install the switch after you get the doors hung and aligned so you dont break it - ask me how I know.
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote