The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2022, 08:55 PM   #1
jgrote

My journey to securing my truck

My truck sometimes has to sit outside, and Denver has become a car theft hot spot. So, I'm going to try to make it harder to steal. My plan is as follows, and I'm up for any other ideas.
  • Quick Release steering wheel
    hidden ignition kill switch
    hidden air tags
    maybe even GPS
What else should I add to my list? If anyone is interested in my journey, I will document it here (without specifics or course).
jgrote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 12:32 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: My journey to securing my truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrote View Post
My truck sometimes has to sit outside, and Denver has become a car theft hot spot. So, I'm going to try to make it harder to steal. My plan is as follows, and I'm up for any other ideas.
  • Quick Release steering wheel
    hidden ignition kill switch
    hidden air tags
    maybe even GPS
What else should I add to my list? If anyone is interested in my journey, I will document it here (without specifics or course).

I've never had to do anything like that here in central Iowa. I realize they can get stolen anywhere, but I have everything well insured. They also make a clamp on wheel/tire lock that would make it hard to move. There is a thread on the board about installing an inside the cab hood release for our trucks.

Here is a thread that covers some of the ideas:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=696808

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 09:20 AM   #3
my67c20

Why bother will all that stuff, just change it to a stick shift.
my67c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 09:44 AM   #4
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by my67c20 View Post
Bingo

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 10:29 AM   #5
72SB

While just about anything can be defeated, doing what OP notes helps slow down a theft or deters it because of the obstacles (no steering wheel or kill switch for example)

You can also add a tire boot
72SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 11:11 AM   #6
tutone

I have a good friend who is a deputy sheriff. He says nowadays that 80-90% of vehicle thefts are done by wrecker or rollback. With that in mind, the steering wheel is not effective, and as long as your truck rolls, it is in danger. On the good side, GPS has helped them recover several newer trailers as the thieves are unaware that they are on there. The cops call the manf. and they turn it on and it shows up sometmes several states away. If a rotten thief wants something bad enough, they will figure out how to steal it. Good luck.
1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 06:02 PM   #7
don t. - 72gmc

Here's another thread from the past on this topic.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=517525

HTH...Don
don t. - 72gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 06:25 PM   #8
72SB

one thing not noted in this thread but in link above is a line lock

I have one in another car, for drag racing, which I also use when I park it. With key off it stays "engaged" so the front tires will not roll.

You could mount the switch discretely

Bottom line is if they want to steal it, they will find a way. Yeah, several things can be done to slow thieves down which can stop them because of time involved or doing whatever to remove a tire lock or something else they get discovered mid steal

Secondary deterrents like Mr Smith & Wesson are very persuasive and extremely effective when used but not worth their involvement over a vehicle as the BS one is faced with employing their services gets very deep and $ costly
Old 08-04-2022, 06:47 PM   #9
jgrote

Quote:
Originally Posted by my67c20 View Post
You're absolutely right. Mostly, because I'm getting old, and don't want to drive a stick anymore. My other toy has 3 pedals, so I get my mountain driving fun fix in that.
Old 08-04-2022, 06:58 PM   #10
jgrote

I like the idea of a line-lock too. Most of the car thefts in my area are kids busting windows and popping ignitions. If I can make it to where it won't start, then I'll probably still have the truck if they do bother. And to answer the "why bother" question, it's because I can, and it's cheap insurance.

Wheel - I was going to replace anyway, so a the quick release adds $100 to it.

Ignition kill - I'm going to use a flasher switch from a 66 Mustang that I have laying around, so $10 worth of wiring.

Air tags - $100 for 4.

GPS - $150 plus ~ $10/month. Not sure if I'll go this far.

Spending a couple hundred bucks to make it difficult to steal, it seems like a decent idea. I don't see any reason to spend much to make the door locks harder to get into since they're just smashing windows anyway. Same with the ignition switch. If they're going to hammer a screwdriver through it, I'd rather they not FUBAR the rest of the dash doing it.
Old 08-04-2022, 07:50 PM   #11
rockyrivermark

Multiple things. Gas shut is very effective. If they get it they will run out of gas and abandon it.
Fake locJack vinyl stickers for window
Posted via Mobile Device
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 08:24 PM   #12
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Fake LoJack stickers and some other method. I have cameras recording the activity in front of my house because I have a cray-cray neighbor who liked to vandalize around the neighborhood. Putting up cameras stopped that, cold. If you have a protection service, put up signs for their competition, because people know how to defeat them, and if you LIED about which service you use, they'll take longer to get your stuff. I have a friend who is a retired LAPD lieutenant. He's told me horror stories about shooting people who get in a person's house, how much trouble the people get in. I told him that if it came to that, I'd deny hearing gunfire. Meanwhile, I'd have a lime pit working in the back yard. What body?

#BetterLivingThroughChemistry

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 10:20 PM   #13
jgrote

I got the steering wheel swapped out. That was a fun little project. And now, I have a working horn!
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2022, 07:06 AM   #14
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I have heard of someone using a bluetooth kill device in the HEI. It has to be activated with code from phone before vehicle will start. Never heard of it till I was talking with someone a few months ago.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 01:42 PM   #15
leftybass209

Progression Ignition has a bluetooth distributor with some pretty sweet benefits. I can't speak to its reliability, but I plan on giving it a shot.

It's got some awesome vac advance programming too.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 02:52 PM   #16
michael bustamante

park it up against a wall nose in and then put a wheel clamp on the front tire so it cnt roll if they use a tow truck to haul it away, then a quick release steering wheel
Old 08-11-2022, 05:13 PM   #17
72SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bustamante View Post
park it up against a wall nose in and then put a wheel clamp on the front tire so it cnt roll if they use a tow truck to haul it away, then a quick release steering wheel
yep, got one on mine
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2022, 07:33 PM   #18
sfont66

Quote:
I got the steering wheel swapped out. That was a fun little project. And now, I have a working horn!
Very nice! I like it.
What brand quick release did you use, and did you pick your own wheel, or choose one that fits their system.
In other words, can you install your own wheel? Or is it part of a package?
Old 08-12-2022, 02:18 AM   #19
87Skier

I would like to put a GPS system on mine. Have it text me anytime it moves, or the ignition is switched on.

Right now I have an starter interrupt button. It must be pushed after the ignition is turned on or it will not start. I also put in a fuel pump kill switch.

Next thing I will probably do is a locking or remote hood release.
87Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 06:17 AM   #20
special-K
Special Order

Since a thief can find a way around any anti-theft device, I'd surely go with a GPS to give a chance for recovery.

I feel safe where I live, but a vehicle can be stolen from anywhere. With the inflated value of these trucks and the widespread knowledge of that, I do find myself more concerned with theft from anywhere. My trucks stay "parked-in" most of the time. I feel safer with that. But these days I only have one driver, so when I'm not home the truck isn't blocked in. I've thought about a steel gate as a deterrent.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 10:42 AM   #21
jgrote

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfont66 View Post
Very nice! I like it.
What brand quick release did you use, and did you pick your own wheel, or choose one that fits their system.
In other words, can you install your own wheel? Or is it part of a package?
I went with NRG for the quick release and the adaptor. The truck already has an ebay aftermarket column. I can run any steering wheel with a 5 bolt or 6 bolt mounting style. The wheel is a $100 Amazon special. There are many cheaper options, but there are a couple places I don't think steering is a great place to skimp out. I originally bought a $37 hub adapter, but it was way deeper. That caused the wheel to be ~6.5" from the column end. I would like to find a 0 offset wheel in the future, but haven't found the right one yet. My current setup is ~6.1" total spacing. The factory wheel is ~4.75". A 0 offset wheel will get me back to 5" or so.
Old 08-13-2022, 10:51 AM   #22
jgrote

Thank you everyone for the ideas. I didn't know about the bluetooth ignition kill. I kind of like that idea. I know that I'm only going to keep out people with less knowledge and will than I have, but that's ok. I have good insurance, and my target thieves are dumb kids and meth heads. I'm not worried about the pros with flatbeds and stuff.
Old 08-13-2022, 04:51 PM   #23
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Works for me.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 05:37 PM   #24
jgrote

LOL. When you're around, it's easy to protect your property. My concern is mostly in the middle of the night. My dogs are mostly idiots, and probably not going to bark. And I don't think I could take a life over a property crime. If it's a question of my life or yours, I won't even hesitate. That said, I also hold no opinion on another person's right to protect themselves and their stuff. You do what you feel you need to. The only way to truly believe in the freedom of choice, and to also protect the choices of those you disagree with.
Old 08-13-2022, 05:52 PM   #25
sfont66

Quote:
I went with NRG for the quick release and the adaptor. The truck already has an ebay aftermarket column. I can run any steering wheel with a 5 bolt or 6 bolt mounting style. The wheel is a $100 Amazon special. There are many cheaper options, but there are a couple places I don't think steering is a great place to skimp out. I originally bought a $37 hub adapter, but it was way deeper. That caused the wheel to be ~6.5" from the column end. I would like to find a 0 offset wheel in the future, but haven't found the right one yet. My current setup is ~6.1" total spacing. The factory wheel is ~4.75". A 0 offset wheel will get me back to 5" or so.
Thanks for the info, I will look at the NRG hub and quick release again.
They seem to have good reviews