The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2022, 02:00 AM   #1
bennylava

What's the seat cover to have these days?

Hi all, I'm looking for a new cover for my bench seat.

Last edited by bennylava; 08-08-2022 at 09:41 AM.
bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 02:53 AM   #2
bennylava

Re: What's the seat cover to have these days?

I already have the hog ring pliers and hog rings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN5RD3dlh9g

[youtube]WN5RD3dlh9g[/youtube] (forgot how to embed videos here)

Last edited by bennylava; 08-08-2022 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-05-2022, 09:20 AM   #3
TKCR

The covers in your first post are just slip covers. They are not the same as an actual seat cover upholstery, like the LMC video.
Which BTW, I would not recommend a cover from LMC. Those are all made by ACME and the quality is just not very good.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 05:12 AM   #4
bennylava

How about these? Never heard of the company

Last edited by bennylava; 08-08-2022 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-06-2022, 10:02 AM   #5
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennylava View Post
How about these? Never heard of the company though. Seem pretty inexpensive, makes you question the quality:
Clicking on that link, they sell a bunch of misc items. Never saw the covers, but wasn’t going to spend much time looking there.

So the question is, are you wanting a slip cover? Or are you wanting an actual seat upholstery cover? There is a difference. And cheap isn’t always better.

Slip covers are just that. They slip on over your existing seat, and you just tie them down. They are just meant to be a protective cover for your seat. A lot of people like them to cover up the destroyed seat that they have, or to protect the new upholstery cover that was installed on their seat. Myself, I hate them things. But that’s just my opinion of them, lol.

The actual seat upholstery cover is made specifically for our seats. They can be a handful to install onto the seat. They are meant to be tight, to the point you feel like they are not going to fit. These also get hog ringed to the frame. To install one of theses, the seat needs to be removed from the truck and taken apart and the old cover removed. This is the perfect time to inspect and repair any seat frame issue you may find. I find issues on almost every seat I strip down for restoration. Some people will throw a new cover on the frame the have. I wouldn’t recommend that, because I see all the issues that are hiding under that old cover & foam. It would be like spending a bunch of money on painting your truck, but painting over top of bubbling rust and not fixing any of the rust before painting. Seems like a waste of money, but some people actually do that. Like to ole saying “putting lipstick on a pig”.

Last edited by cwcarpenter98; 08-21-2022 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Removed link to scammer website in quote
Old 08-06-2022, 08:28 PM   #6
bennylava

Already own the pliers and the rings. The first time we made a pattern out of the old seat and sewed it up from scratch using material normally used on church pews. The next time it was bought from LMC and it didn't even make it 2 full years.

Last edited by bennylava; 08-08-2022 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-06-2022, 10:04 PM   #7
TKCR

Quote:
Weird about the link, for me it only shows a bunch of bench seat covers. Try this one, it's the one I'd be interested in buying:

I've recovered two bench seats so I am familiar with the process. Already own the pliers and the rings. The first time we made a pattern out of the old seat and sewed it up from scratch using material normally used on church pews. The next time it was bought from LMC and it didn't even make it 2 full years.

So I'm looking for quality, but trying to avoid paying through the nose.
This is what your link is showing.
And I only explained the seat cover differences because the very first link and then this, leads me to believe your looking at slip covers.
So, if you are actually looking for a well made covers, USA1 Industries is going to be my vote. I have used several of their covers, and they are WAY BETTER quality covers than those from LMC, Classic Industries and those other places. All of those covers are made by ACME.
USA1 Industries are handmade right here in the US, in NC. So if that’s what your looking for is a good quality replacement seat cover, this would be the place.

Last edited by cwcarpenter98; 08-21-2022 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Removed link to scammer website and picture related to site
Old 08-08-2022, 09:34 AM   #8
bennylava

Strange. The whole site might be a scam, I'd stay far away just to be on the safe side. I went back and edited all my posts and removed all the links I'd posted. As for USA1, unfortunately they're out of stock. I'd need Saddle Tan. Unless maybe... the 70's seat covers will fit all the 80's seats?

Another interior question:

Does anyone happen to know the type of material that was used for the headliners? So far this is the closest thing I can find. But I'd like it to look factory if possible.

https://www.amazon.com/Light-Neutral...liner+material

Here's some faux suede stuff but I don't know how that would turn out. I'm not really a fan of how that mirco fiber stuff always looks like it's different tones depending on what has brushed up against it recently:

https://www.amazon.com/Suede-Headlin...adliner+fabric

Last edited by bennylava; 08-08-2022 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-08-2022, 10:20 AM   #9
TKCR

So what year is your seat? The Saddle Tan is on the 81-87 seat. The 73-80 covers will not fit, they are bigger.
Not sure why you think they are out of stock, because they are not. The covers just have to be made. So there’s probably a 4-6 week time.
I have one that’s New. I just haven’t used it yet.

Also USA1 has the headliner material. They sell the material and the headliner board with it already installed, both ways.
Attached Images

Last edited by TKCR; 08-08-2022 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-08-2022, 08:23 PM   #10
karlbenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
This is what your link is showing.
thats all I seen too
Old 08-08-2022, 10:19 PM   #11
bennylava

Quote:
So there’s probably a 4-6 week time.
That sounds pretty out of stock to me lol

My truck is 87 model. I'm going to hit up a couple of upholstery shops and see what they say. If it's a good deal more money, maybe I'll wait the 4-6 weeks
Old 08-08-2022, 10:36 PM   #12
TKCR

Quote:
That sounds pretty out of stock to me lol

My truck is 87 model. I'm going to hit up a couple of upholstery shops and see what they say. If it's a good deal more money, maybe I'll wait the 4-6 weeks
That’s not out of stock, when it needs to be made, lol. Even an upholstery shop is going to have to make one. Unless someone has one laying around, which I do.
Did you not catch the part that I have the SaddleTan cover already? It’s new, I just haven’t needed to use it.
Send me a PM if you would like it.

Last edited by TKCR; 08-08-2022 at 10:49 PM.
Old 08-09-2022, 05:31 AM   #13
bennylava

PM Sent!

Yeah when we made one back in the day it took awhile. Certainly not 4 to 6 weeks though. I remember the headliner being a very easy job. I should have kept that pattern I made for the bench seat.

But I never thought I'd still like these trucks all these years later. I guess once you own one you're into them for life
Old 08-10-2022, 03:16 AM   #14
bennylava

Quote:
That’s not out of stock, when it needs to be made, lol. Even an upholstery shop is going to have to make one. Unless someone has one laying around, which I do.
Did you not catch the part that I have the SaddleTan cover already? It’s new, I just haven’t needed to use it.
Send me a PM if you would like it.
Question - Do you own or work for USA1 Interiors?
Old 08-10-2022, 09:08 AM   #15
TKCR

Quote:
Question - Do you own or work for USA1 Interiors?
Not sure why that question was asked. But, NO I don’t. But I sure spend a lot of money there.
I’m retired now, have been for 3 years. So I have no plans to work for anyone but myself, much less move out of state!
Old 08-10-2022, 10:48 AM   #16
bennylava

Just curious about that one. There are some members of these boards that own businesses.
Old 08-10-2022, 11:00 AM   #17
TKCR

Quote:
Just curious about that one. There are some members of these boards that own businesses.
I do restore seats and seat belts for people, but I wouldn’t call it a business, although it keeps me busy. But owning or working for USA1, lol no. That sounds like more work than I could handle. I’m cutting back on restoring seats. The seatbelts are keeping me busy enough. Plus I cut grass for my elderly neighbors and myself. So during the summer, that alone keeps me hopping.
Old 08-15-2022, 06:22 AM   #18
bennylava

Anybody tried the Holley brand ones?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/h.../r10/year/1987
Old 08-15-2022, 09:40 AM   #19
TKCR

Quote:
Anybody tried the Holley brand ones?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/h.../r10/year/1987
The other thing I don’t like about these aftermarket covers, is this generic thing that they put on the cover in place of the original seatbelt bezels. Most of the aftermarket covers don’t always fit like they should since they are mass produced. They are more concerned about making as many as they can versus quality.
Here are some pictures of the generic things they use for the seatbelt holes and the OEM seat belt bezels.
The rest of the pics are what I call poor quality & poor sewing techniques. This is what I mean when the cover will not fit right. I’ve tried everything out there, and hands down, the only one I would recommend is USA1. I have had them all physically in my hands, and installed every one of them on seats. Trust me when I say, I can see & feel the difference in quality from all these other places versus the ones from USA1.
Attached Images

Last edited by TKCR; 08-15-2022 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-15-2022, 02:56 PM   #20
bennylava

Funny you should say that, I actually noticed the same problem when looking at USA1's covers. Take a look at the pick they posted of their cover, when you click on the cloth and vinyl seat cover:

https://www.usa1interiors.com/1981-8...ntal-band.html

You may have to click the tan one to see it better, but there at the top you can clearly see the same problem you're pointing to in those images. This is the reason I've decided to just make my own, and probably why auto upholstery shops are actually the best bet for maximum quality. My old worn out cover from 1987 doesn't have that problem.
Old 08-15-2022, 03:20 PM   #21
TKCR

I’ve never had any issues with the USA1 covers doing that. Here are a few that have come from them.
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2022, 07:15 AM   #22
bennylava

But do you have evidence that the Holley branded ones do that? USA1 is aftermarket too. That's why I was asking if anyone had tried Holley covers. It's pretty well established that the LMC covers don't last, but there might be a few others out there that are made well enough.
Old 08-16-2022, 10:11 AM   #23
TKCR

Quote:
But do you have evidence that the Holley branded ones do that? USA1 is aftermarket too. That's why I was asking if anyone had tried Holley covers. It's pretty well established that the LMC covers don't last, but there might be a few others out there that are made well enough.
That would be this one. I’ve tried them all, I’ve been doing seats for quite awhile now. And in the beginning I started out trying out all these places that sold covers. And also use several local upholstery shops. I was disappointed in every one of them.
Yes your correct by saying that USA1 is aftermarket, but at least they don’t sew that dumb generic thing on the covers to replace the original seat belt Bezel. And their backing materials are far thicker and better quality than the rest. I can attest to that because I have had all of them in my hands. It’s like comparing a Cadillac to a Chevette. Some people are ok with a Chevette, and that’s their choice.
(I have literally had both, and I would take the Cadillac any day over a Chevette)
And I’m saying this on the the seat cover level, and in the “literal sense”.
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2022, 12:09 PM   #24
bennylava

Speaking of those seat belt guides, do you happen to know how to get those things out? Looks like they're kind of pressed together somehow. The two that are in the factory seat cover. I believe I can get them out, but not without mangling them
Old 08-17-2022, 06:58 PM   #25
lukeembry

Here is a cover from Holley, nice cover. I’ve used USA1 covers also and don’t see much difference. The big difference is Holley will likely have many in stock ready to ship unlike USA1.
Attached Images

lukeembry is offline   Reply With Quote