The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-08-2022, 05:13 PM   #1
Beach-Burban

Sanderson Header Owners

I just ordered a set of Sanderson BB8 headers for the 454 in my '72 Suburban. My question is regarding their claim that "No Gaskets Are Required...only Permatex Black High Heat Silicone"? My exhaust guy says he has never NOT used gaskets, even with Sanderson's, so I'm asking what has been your experiences...any issues without gaskets and for how long? Thanks for any insight you choose to give!

Woody
Beach-Burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 05:38 PM   #2
LS short box

Re: Sanderson Header Owners

I have Sanderson headers on my LS swapped 98 Wrangler. I used good Fel Pro gaskets. They have been bullet proof for over 14 years. Zero leaks.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 05:50 PM   #3
72SB

I know Sanderson claims that. They have thick flange....IMHO I would and do always use a gasket, Felpro but do not have Sanderson headers

If your heads are dead nuts perfect and aluminum (read not cast iron), go for it...but I would use a gasket

with that said my 67 327 stock manifolds did not have gaskets and never leaked. YMMV
72SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 07:12 PM   #4
Southcity

Fellow 454 owner with ceramic coated Sanderson headers here. I am running aluminum crush gaskets simply because I had them prior to purchasing/installing headers. 72SB makes a good point, if your heads are aluminum and perfect you could run them as Sanderson suggests but I believe you will find most run them with a gasket. Also, if for any reason you ever need to remove the headers/exhaust system, a gasket makes the job much easier. I drive my rig daily and very hard. These headers have performed flawlessly, the finish is holding up very well despite the dusty gravel roads I drive on and badly worn valve guide seals. I'm using the header bolts provided by Sanderson (non-locking). I check them every oil change and so far (12K) no need to tighten them.
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2022, 02:09 PM   #5
SB'72

I have Sanderson SBC headers with no gasket and iron heads; used Black Permatex as suggested no problems for 5 years.
SB'72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 03:06 PM   #6
Beach-Burban

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
I have Sanderson headers on my LS swapped 98 Wrangler. I used good Fel Pro gaskets. They have been bullet proof for over 14 years. Zero leaks.
Wow...14 years...that's nice to hear! Thanks!

Woody
Old 11-09-2022, 03:21 PM   #7
Beach-Burban

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72SB View Post
I know Sanderson claims that. They have thick flange....IMHO I would and do always use a gasket, Felpro but do not have Sanderson headers

If your heads are dead nuts perfect and aluminum (read not cast iron), go for it...but I would use a gasket

with that said my 67 327 stock manifolds did not have gaskets and never leaked. YMMV
Thanks for the input...my heads are stock cast iron and were rebuilt 5 years ago. When my mechanic buddy reinstalled them, he didn't use any gaskets on the cast iron exhaust manifolds and they have been leak free for that entire time. This is why I'm having a dilemma over which way to go. The Sanderson's actually have a milled mating surface that surrounds the header port and bolt holes that they call their patented process...I'd like to hear from someone that has an experience (good or bad) that went the "No Gasket" way.

Woody
Old 11-09-2022, 03:28 PM   #8
Beach-Burban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southcity View Post
Fellow 454 owner with ceramic coated Sanderson headers here. I am running aluminum crush gaskets simply because I had them prior to purchasing/installing headers. 72SB makes a good point, if your heads are aluminum and perfect you could run them as Sanderson suggests but I believe you will find most run them with a gasket. Also, if for any reason you ever need to remove the headers/exhaust system, a gasket makes the job much easier. I drive my rig daily and very hard. These headers have performed flawlessly, the finish is holding up very well despite the dusty gravel roads I drive on and badly worn valve guide seals. I'm using the header bolts provided by Sanderson (non-locking). I check them every oil change and so far (12K) no need to tighten them.
I appreciate the information and the points you made. How long has it taken to drive those 12 thousand miles...and are you running the shorty BB8's like I purchased? If so, any issues with fitment? Thanks again for the insight!

Woody
Old 11-09-2022, 03:34 PM   #9
Beach-Burban

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB'72 View Post
I have Sanderson SBC headers with no gasket and iron heads; used Black Permatex as suggested no problems for 5 years.
Excellent...a positive outcome! That gives me hope for which ever way I decide to go, but now I'm wondering if there are any Sanderson users that tried the recommended method and it failed?

Woody
Old 11-09-2022, 09:37 PM   #10
Shortnwide4x4

As a tech who has been in the trade for at least 25 years, i rarely use gaskets when installing a manifold on a vehicle. I actually have more issues with gaskets blowing out than silicone. Most headers do not have a thick mounting flange but it appears that sanderson does, if they recommend it i wouldn't hesitate doing it!
Shortnwide4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 12:03 PM   #11
Beach-Burban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortnwide4x4 View Post
As a tech who has been in the trade for at least 25 years, i rarely use gaskets when installing a manifold on a vehicle. I actually have more issues with gaskets blowing out than silicone. Most headers do not have a thick mounting flange but it appears that sanderson does, if they recommend it i wouldn't hesitate doing it!
Thank you for sharing your experience...a whole lot of experience, I should say! Your approach regarding exhaust manifolds is the same as my mechanic buddy...and he has had his own shop for 35 years! The exhaust guy he set me up with has been in his trade for roughly 30 years, and agrees with the "no gasket for cast-iron exhaust manifold to cast-iron head approach in most cases, however, he is adamant about using gaskets on ALL headers...even Sanderson. If I go with gaskets, he will stand behind his work...if I insist on the Black Permatex and it fails, I get to hear the "I told you so"...but he'll still fix it for a price. I guess I'm overthinking this...bottom line is that I will have nice headers for a certain length of time and will cross that bridge if and when I get to it! Thanks again!

Woody
Old 11-12-2022, 12:57 AM   #12
super72swb

Put a set on with good Cooper gaskets and leaked….took gaskets out and no leaks …best headers I ever bought!
super72swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 02:21 PM   #13
Beach-Burban

Quote:
Originally Posted by super72swb View Post
Put a set on with good Cooper gaskets and leaked….took gaskets out and no leaks …best headers I ever bought!
Interesting...I thought gaskets blowing out after a number of years would be the problem, but it sounds like this happened pretty fast??? Very puzzling...but glad to hear that the headers themselves are great!

Woody
Old 11-13-2022, 05:47 PM   #14
BAD1916

I have never mounted headers without gaskets but all the fords with manifolds I have worked on have been installled with a layer of bearing grease. Never had a problem doing it that way.
BAD1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 11:21 AM   #15
fdbdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls short box View Post
i have sanderson headers on my ls swapped 98 wrangler. I used good fel pro gaskets. They have been bullet proof for over 14 years. Zero leaks.
x2
fdbdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 11:50 AM   #16
Beach-Burban

Thanks to all for the insights you have offered-up! I guess I'm going to let my exhaust guy do it his way (with gaskets) as I've already bought the gasket set he requested (Remflex) although I also bought some Permatex Black just in case he wants to experiment (doubtful)! With these Sanderson headers, it doesn't seem like it's going to be an issue either way!

Woody