The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2024, 11:54 PM   #301
JJH Jimmy

Re: Budget Build 1985 K20

4l80e swap complete! However, it fought me but I won.

The first problem I had was when I tried to tune it using the setup wizard in the Edelbrock app it wouldn’t get past the gear indicator test meaning I was t recognizing me shifting through the gears. I knew it something to do with the pressure switches after a few tests with my ohm meter. So fluid drained back out, front drive shaft back off, crossmember removed, drop pan and I found the my trans builder forgot to plug in the switches. Ugh! What else did he forget? So back together it went.

Next problem - on the first road test I couldn’t get it to lock up the torque converter. After many calls with clueless edelbrock tech support. I was ready to scrap the edelbrock trans controller and go with a different unit. Ironically the only review on Summit mentioned this problem and a 1 star review. So I started researching trans controllers that were canbus enabled as come across compushift. The more I researched i was convinced they must be building them for edelbrock. So I called their tech support and the first question he asked me if it was a 4x4 and was the transfer case wire ran. And I told him it was. He told me to disconnect it because I do not need it and the 208transfer case won’t send the correct signal for it. Problem solved! The funny thing is is that I called edelbrock before I bought this and asked them what type of signal was the transfer case supposed to send and they couldn’t give me an answer. Long story short if you need tech support don’t call edelbrock.

The 4l80e makes this thing a dream to drive. It shifts nice and smooth cruising but when you stomp on it it will just about break the tires loose when it shifts. And 2300 rpm when going down the highway going 70 ain’t bad either!

Not many pictures from the install but this is what I got.
Attached Images

2021 GMC 2500HD Duramax AT4

My "It's a Jimmy Thing" Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=583528
Budget Build 1985 K20
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=801565
JJH Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 11:07 AM   #302
Greenlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH Jimmy View Post
4l80e swap complete! However, it fought me but I won.

The first problem I had was when I tried to tune it using the setup wizard in the Edelbrock app it wouldn’t get past the gear indicator test meaning I was t recognizing me shifting through the gears. I knew it something to do with the pressure switches after a few tests with my ohm meter. So fluid drained back out, front drive shaft back off, crossmember removed, drop pan and I found the my trans builder forgot to plug in the switches. Ugh! What else did he forget? So back together it went.

Next problem - on the first road test I couldn’t get it to lock up the torque converter. After many calls with clueless edelbrock tech support. I was ready to scrap the edelbrock trans controller and go with a different unit. Ironically the only review on Summit mentioned this problem and a 1 star review. So I started researching trans controllers that were canbus enabled as come across compushift. The more I researched i was convinced they must be building them for edelbrock. So I called their tech support and the first question he asked me if it was a 4x4 and was the transfer case wire ran. And I told him it was. He told me to disconnect it because I do not need it and the 208transfer case won’t send the correct signal for it. Problem solved! The funny thing is is that I called edelbrock before I bought this and asked them what type of signal was the transfer case supposed to send and they couldn’t give me an answer. Long story short if you need tech support don’t call edelbrock.

The 4l80e makes this thing a dream to drive. It shifts nice and smooth cruising but when you stomp on it it will just about break the tires loose when it shifts. And 2300 rpm when going down the highway going 70 ain’t bad either!

Not many pictures from the install but this is what I got.
Nice work and thanks for sharing the info on the transmission controller. I sacrificed over drive for the reliability of a TH400 after my 700r4 blew up. Have contemplated a 4l80 ever since. I have a np208 transfer case as well.
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 11:21 PM   #303
Willowrun

Impressive work as always. Since it seems your budget build is in its final stages, when does the no expense spared build start? LOL

Love the truck, and great build. Very impressive.

Sidenote, I'm guessing you're still riding single track so if you're interested in riding with a buddy of mine and I once the weather breaks PM me. He's on the west side up by the dunes and rides all the time (retired) and I still work so rarely ride but got the XR400 out and got it running this winter so ready to go once mud season is over.
Willowrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 11:53 PM   #304
JJH Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlee View Post
Nice work and thanks for sharing the info on the transmission controller. I sacrificed over drive for the reliability of a TH400 after my 700r4 blew up. Have contemplated a 4l80 ever since. I have a np208 transfer case as well.
I hated to do it since I sunk a ton of money in the 400 to make sure it was bullet proof. But at the end of the day I built this truck to be my daily in the summer and I found myself not driving it if I was going to be on the highway for an extended period. On a good note I am trading the 400 to the guy that built it for a long block ls3. Apparently good 400’s are getting harder to come by. I say go for the 4l80e. You will love it. I will help you from afar answering any questions you might have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowrun View Post
Impressive work as always. Since it seems your budget build is in its final stages, when does the no expense spared build start? LOL

Love the truck, and great build. Very impressive.

Sidenote, I'm guessing you're still riding single track so if you're interested in riding with a buddy of mine and I once the weather breaks PM me. He's on the west side up by the dunes and rides all the time (retired) and I still work so rarely ride but got the XR400 out and got it running this winter so ready to go once mud season is over.
I appreciate the compliments! Yea, this build went way farther than I planned on but I wanted to make sure there were no regrets. Next up is my Jimmy. It has been on the road for 9 years and is in need of a little freshening up in a couple areas.

Yea, still riding single track. I been doing a couple small projects on my bike this winter as well. I added a headlight and taillight just in case I am on an atv trail to try and prevent me from eating a grill on a side by side. I also put on a gummy rear tire, mousse bibs and a Rekluse clutch. When the weather breaks I will shoot you a message and maybe we can meet up.

As for that no expense spared build. It will be my 51 3100 five window. It will get a ls3, 4l80e and bagged with all natural patina. Hopefully starting fall of 2024!
Attached Images

2021 GMC 2500HD Duramax AT4

My "It's a Jimmy Thing" Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=583528
Budget Build 1985 K20
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=801565
JJH Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote