The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2002, 01:01 AM   #1
EJ

Anyone have a Double Din Receiver in their truck?

Just wondering if anyone installed a double din receiver in their truck? My dash radio hole is cut up so bad im thinking about it.

Somthing like this

Last edited by EJ; 06-11-2002 at 01:03 AM.
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 10:27 AM   #2
EJ

TTT Anyone??
Old 06-11-2002, 11:16 AM   #3
Blue68

Haven't done or seen it but I have some thoughts on the whole DIN thing. For the single DIN, someone needs to fabricate a faceplate that mounts the DIN receiver with the side braces for support. Essentially, this faceplate would fit more or less flush into the current radio hole. I'm thinking a real nice ball finished aluminum. Then the faceplate would have either hardware that goes through the front that use a special screw head on them. Or use bolts affixed on the backside so it is a smooth finish on the front. I would like it to be a smooth finish in the radio pocket. You would mount the stereo to the faceplate, then mount the faceplate to the dash. I know the DIN uses a receiver sleeve, but I prefer something a little more substantial.

For the double DIN, you may need to smooth the dash in the radio hole and ash tray. A better looking option would be to eliminate the ash tray and section in another radio recess so that it looks like a stock implementation.

If you are really bold with the welder, I've got an excellent custom idea. Take the shape of the dash bezel and glove box, shrink it and center it for the receiver. Either raise it or inset it. Either way you will eliminate the current radio hole and the ash tray. But you will carry a theme all the way across the dash.

What do you think?

'68 C-10 LWB, '98 Z-71 350 w/accessories (Serpentine), Edelbrock Performer, Edelbrock 1405 (600cfm) carb, GM HEI, CompCam Extreme 4x4 roller cam, Thorley Headers, Carter Electric Fuel Pump, Vintage Air, 700r4, 3.73, disc brakes and power steering upgrades.
Blue68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 01:20 PM   #4
72chevyLWB
Got 20's????

I have an Alpine 1.5 DIN unit in my console. I think that a 1.5 DIN would fit alot better in our trucks though instead of 2 DIN. I think 2 is just a tad too big. just my .02
72chevyLWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 02:34 PM   #5
XXL
Seņor Member

Obviously it won't fit within the intentation there, plus it's too wide to just straddle... so years ago, on a friend's truck, we hacked out the center of the dash and grafted in a new piece of flat steel. It worked fine, but I think it was a little plain looking. The way to have done it "right" would be to recreate the indentation area, only the proper size to accommodate the larger radio. It would be a lot of work, but I think the radio would look more like it belonged there.

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 03:41 PM   #6
EJ

72ChevyLWB do you have a pic of the 1.5 Din in the console Id like to see it.

My trucks just a farm truck but my Dad *sigh* cut the radio hole so bad that he ended up in the top left corner of the ash tray EJ