The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2003, 11:10 PM   #1
Tim Christian

Angry The boys truck got backed in to!!!!!!!!

He had his truck parked in town and was standing away from it talking to some friends when some girl in a Jeep comes backing down the parking lot and BANG right in to the right rear bed corner! I am SICK!!!!!! They do have insurance and is going to pay for it but we just got it out of the body shop!!!!!!
Tim Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 11:16 PM   #2
1969 GMC

sheesh, women drivers! :p
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 11:31 PM   #3
Piston
Account Suspended

man, sorry to hear about that Tim. It's like a magnet now.
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 12:14 AM   #4
ginter

That sucks Tim. Condolences for your loss. Right outa the body shop? That really sucks. Even if they have insurance and the tab gets paid, your out of a ride again while the work is being done (again).
ginter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 12:19 AM   #5
69 Short Fleet

Man that's really bad news, I hate to hear of our trucks getting damaged, especially right out of the shop or after a full resto. Best regards, Doug
69 Short Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 02:06 AM   #6
progress
Gotta luv a clean shave

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Not the beautiful orange fleetside you just finished!!!!! OUUUUCH! I would have gotten sick to my stomach! I am so sorry to hear that...he must have been devastated.
Old 06-26-2003, 05:20 AM   #7
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Ugghh. That stinks.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 08:00 AM   #8
JimKshortstep4x4

Unhappy

Sorry to hear about your boy's truck. People just don't pay attention when they are driving.

I used to have a really nice 73 Ranchero, (before I was converted) and I had it parked in the junkyard parking lot. One of the yard birds backed his truck up no less than 150 feet and backed right into the taillight and took it out!

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 08:04 AM   #9
GREEN70-72

That sucks bad!!!! I know how you feel. the up side to this is you were able to catch them. I had some one back into mine on the passenger side and ran. no note, nothing. I found it two days later...I was seriously pissed. but I am glad you were able to get the culprit! and get insurance to take care of it.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:35 AM   #10
Blue Beard

Was she blonde by chance.............
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 09:32 AM   #11
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Bummer!
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 09:53 AM   #12
6T9GMC

THAT'S NOT GOOD!

MAN THAT SUCKS! IT SEEMS LIKE YOU CAN DRIVE ONE FOREVER AND NOTHING HAPPENS TO IT THEN YOU FIX IT ALL UP AND IT DOESN' T TAKE LONG FOR SOMEONE TO HIT IT OR SCRATCH THE PAINT OR SOMETHING. KINDA LIKE BUYING A NEW ONE. YOU JUST CAN'T KEEP ALL THE IDIOTS AWAY FROM IT.
6T9GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 11:04 AM   #13
Tracy Focht

Sorry to hear aout that Tim!

And thanks for the door rubber...I appreciate the awesome help you've given me!

But I agree...now I watch where I part mine....even here at work!
Tracy Focht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 11:05 AM   #14
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

and the worst part was its a girl ya cant go up to them rip em outta the car and bash their head in for bein stupid... make sure the insurance company sees that the pieces were new so they replace with new parts not try to pawn off some rusted junkyard stuff

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 11:07 AM   #15
Project1970
14.1 @ 96MPH

Please tell me you ripped her a new one, at least verbally.

I really will NEVER understand the bullsh*t about girls having lower insurance rates...the area I grew up in, some buds did a survey for their stats class final, and found that girls at our school were nearly twice as likely as guys to have been in a wreck. Of course, said school has a disproportionately large number of girls driving the SUV/Mustang/BMW that daddy bought her...my brother got backed into by one of 'em, cracked the fender on the Camaro.
Old 06-26-2003, 11:17 AM   #16
GREEN70-72

I have to agree with project. when I first started driving the insurace copany had me down as a female. when the problem got fixed boom 100+ more every 6 months. I just found out that my sister(19) insurance(full coverage) for her mid 90 eclipse is 5$ less(every 6 months) than my( I am 22) 70 with liability and comprehensive. now how is that not being sexist? so what it comes down too is my sister has a newer sports car with full coverage and I have a 30+ year old pickup with half the coverage and her insurance is cheaper. Fair? I think not!
Old 06-26-2003, 11:22 AM   #17
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GREEN70-72
now how is that not being sexist?
It's not sexist, it's actuarial tables. The FACT is that young male drivers cause more financial loss than young female drivers... and so they are charged more as a class.

I'm no fan of insurance companies and their "guaranteed profit" pricing structure, but sexist is NOT what they're up to.

And Tim, sorry about the truck damage... and right after bringing home a trophy!

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 11:28 AM   #18
Phillip Johnson
Account Suspended

That happened to me about 15 years ago in my CHERRY 71 Custom Camper with slightly faded yellow paint (that was impossible to match). The only diff was that the WOMAN took off. I had a witness but no plate number. I was SICK!
Phillip Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 11:28 AM   #19
GREEN70-72

XXL I think they need to redo the table for this town then.
Old 06-26-2003, 11:29 AM   #20
jewels.

you guys are gonna love me.....
as a woman, i would have to agree. women are much more dangerous drivers. my theory on the whole thing is that women are really good at multitasking --- so good, that it is difficult for them to focus on one thing at a time --- LIKE DRIVING!!!

anyways, the insurance companies believe that men are a greater risk because men are naturally born to take more risks in life (it goes back to that whole cavemen hunting for food thing) --- and women supposedly take less risks than men because they have to "be around to support the child".

anyways --- its a line of crap. i was MUCH more dangerous than my brother when i started driving. i had four wrecks before i was 18 years old. now don't go crazy, because none of them were my fault --- people just liked hitting me (especially into the side of my cars). but still, if i would have been a better driver, i could have avoided all those accidents.

bottomline, women are too distracted by many other things to focus on the road. and i am saying this as a woman!

Tim, i am so so so sorry to hear about the truck. Wish i was down near tennessee, and i'd come over and help try and restore her back to original condition. let us know if we can help ya out any!

good luck!
jewels.

P.S. I have some interesting info when it comes to insurance. I use State Farm, which is nice because I can usually transfer state-to-state when I move. But I thought that I'd let you know that I only pay $35 every six months for insurance on the truck. How? Because I have two vehicles, and the truck is insured as
1. a secondary vehicle
2. limited mileage
3. an antique plated vehicle
If you are able to do any of these things, it will gain you a lot of money in your insurance payments each month. Check into your local state laws, and see if they offer a license plate for antiques. Also, set a limit to your mileage. It really helps! l8r

Last edited by jewels.; 06-26-2003 at 11:34 AM.
jewels. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 11:31 AM   #21
BIG ORANGE

Angry

Man that,s terrible,are you gonna have't replace the bedside?
Hope Josh is OK.

Things happen for a reason!
BIG ORANGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 11:58 AM   #22
Baradium
Binder Rep

That really stinks about the truck.....

I saw someone a week ago I hadn't seen for a few months (just someone from campus). She was like "oh, we never told you, my friend kind of backed into the scout a month ago... we were really freaked out and were going to tell you... but decided not to when we couldn't figure out where we hit it at..." they didn't leave so much as a scratch, but I bet it's not so much because of the steel vs plastic bumper as they probobly hit the tire instead of the actual body...

That's one nice thing about my '70... don't have to worry so much because it already has all of those dents.
Baradium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 12:15 PM   #23
COBALT

Man, it could have been worse. They could have ran, or they could have ended up with NO INSURANCE. That's even worse in some ways.

XXL is right. Insurance companies make money by playing the statistics. People who have higher claim rates are subsidized by people (like me) who have never had an accident to satisfy the cost of their claims. Men staticstically cause more claims at higher $ values than women.

Also, insurance companies develop their premium rate tables like mortgage companies develop their rate sheets for daily interest rate changes. Depending on when you signed your policy, or when it was revised determines the rates for premiums you pay.

Too bad there's no way to "refinance" your insurance policy. If insurance companies looked at their business like mortgage companies they would discover they'd make more money by attracting customers with good driving records at lower rates from other insurance companies. There are a few companies that say they'll do this, but for the most part they change the way the coverage works in the back end to make it not worth your while to swap.

Even comprehensive claims are enough to put you in the red for some insurance companies. I've never had an accident, but since I drove on a highway with a lot of construction for 2 years (loose gravel = broken or cracked windshields) I had too many comprehensive claims to change insurance companies in an attempt to get a better premium rate. Sad, but that's the way the system works right now.
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 02:05 PM   #24
DR67

Sorry to hear of Josh's bad luck. The upside is that she was insured, and nobody was hurt.

DR67
Old 06-26-2003, 02:24 PM   #25
BLAZIN'72

http://www.iii.org/media/facts/statsbyissue/auto/ Check out this link, on insurance stats. Sorry to hear about the truck , nothings worse than when something new gets damaged!
BLAZIN'72 is offline   Reply With Quote