The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2003, 12:23 PM   #1
chevykid1969

Sound Kings....help

I am working on my center console and would like to put a sub..maybe 2 subs in it. It is big enough to fit 8" subs but i dont know about this stuff so i dont know what to look for. I dont listen to rap..but i would like to have some good bass. Like i said i dont know much so i need help. What size/type sub and what kind of amp do i need to run it all. I already have to 6x9 that i would like to use. And like most people money is an issue.

Any help would be great.

Thanks...Eric
chevykid1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 12:33 PM   #2
cochino12
It followed me home?

If you don't want a ton of bass I would do a single 8" sub and about 200 watts of good power to it. Maybe get a 4 channel amp that has an electronic x-over that can power the sub and the 6*9's

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 12:53 PM   #3
Wabash

i would get J/L audio subs they rock IMO
and prob at least a 3-400 watt amp to run them.
Old 06-26-2003, 01:00 PM   #4
cochino12
It followed me home?

Quote:
Originally posted by Wabash
i would get J/L audio subs they rock IMO
and prob at least a 3-400 watt amp to run them.
I definitly agree w/ jl audio. 400 watts may be a bit of overkill but more power never hurt anyone: D

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
Old 06-26-2003, 04:52 PM   #5
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Hey chevykid1969,
The other guys are pointing you in the right direction. Find a sub that will fit in a small sealed enclosure. Sealed enclosures are easy to build, sound good, and are more forgiving than other types of enclosures. You can find air space requirements on manufacturers' websites. Try to stick to reputable audio companies for your gear. There is a lot of crap out there! Companies like Rockford, JL Audio, Precision Power, Kicker, etc. Keep in mind that even these companies make some lower-priced junk.
A four channel amp with a built-in crossover is what you probably want. A crossover will keep the extreme lows out of your 6x9's and the highs out of your sub. The typical power requirements for a subwoofer are double its continuous power rating. Too much power is ok, too little will kill a speaker! Make sure that if you go with one sub, you get an amp that can handle the impedance load of the speaker. If you get an 8 ohm subwoofer, and you bridge the back two channels of your 4-channel amp, each channel will "see" a 4-ohm load. If you get a 4-ohm subwoofer and bridge the back two channels, each channel will "see" a 2 ohm load. The 2 ohm load will get you more power, but not all amps can handle a 2 ohm load. So watch out!
Sorry if I'm rambling! If you have any questions about gear or anything, PM me and I'll help you out! Good luck!

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado
Riveted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 10:59 AM   #6
cochino12
It followed me home?

Quote:
Originally posted by Riveted1
Hey chevykid1969,
If you get an 8 ohm subwoofer, and you bridge the back two channels of your 4-channel amp, each channel will "see" a 4-ohm load. If you get a 4-ohm subwoofer and bridge the back two channels, each channel will "see" a 2 ohm load. The 2 ohm load will get you more power, but not all amps can handle a 2 ohm load.

This is only the case if you are running two subs or a dual voice coil, right? I dont believe you can get a 4 ohm load out of one 8 ohm sub.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
Old 06-27-2003, 12:18 PM   #7
chevykid1969

cochino12 and Riveted1

I am looking at a rockford 8" sub. specsual 4 ohm, 400RMS, 83db. for an amp i found a 2 channel Pioneer that when bridged its output is 400w RMS at 4 ohms. think this will work.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 06-27-2003, 04:49 PM   #8
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Cochino12, an amp bridged into an 8-ohm sub will see 4-ohms.

Chevykid1969, you will have to run that amp in stereo if you use that sub. Bridging that amp on dual 4-ohm voice coils will take the impedance level too low and burn up the amp. You could go with a single 8-ohm sub, bridge that amp and it will get 400 watts. If I were you, I would look for a sub with a higher sensitivity rating, too. 83 db is pretty low. Keep in mind that every 3db equals a doubling of sound output.

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
Old 06-27-2003, 07:36 PM   #9
jef5150
Inline 69

www.crutchfield.com,,,there's info here from building your own box,to the type of speaker to use,to amp & speaker "RMS" ratings,,,,,, ALSO,subs are made for different applications ,"S" for sealed boxs,"P" for ported boxes.You dont want to put a sub-woofer that was designed for a "sealed box" into a "ported type box",AND YES IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE.!!There are also whats known as "free air" subs,and there are some subs that are to be mounted "magnet up". As far as you mounting you subs in your center console,i'd advise against it,you WONT get the [bump]they are designed to give. Subs dont work effeciantly unless they can "move air". If you want everyone in your neighborhood to hear you "thumpin" down the street ,go with 2- 12" speakers in a "ported" box,if your looking for "tight" sounding bass,<my preference>go with 2-8" or 2-10" in "sealed" boxs. Last thing,,,DO NOT,DO NOT,DO NOT,HOOK YOUR 6X9 speakers to any type of "crossovers",run them straight from your amp,your 6x9 speakers already come from the factory with capacitors hooked to them,adding crossovers to them will drasticlly "impede" the frequency range already set .SORRY SO LONG,,,,,,WHEN you go to this site and it asks you to "select a vehicle",just click "skip it"

Last edited by jef5150; 06-27-2003 at 07:41 PM.
jef5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 08:04 PM   #10
cochino12
It followed me home?

Quote:
Originally posted by Riveted1
Cochino12, an amp bridged into an 8-ohm sub will see 4-ohms.

Chevykid1969, you will have to run that amp in stereo if you use that sub. Bridging that amp on dual 4-ohm voice coils will take the impedance level too low and burn up the amp. You could go with a single 8-ohm sub, bridge that amp and it will get 400 watts. If I were you, I would look for a sub with a higher sensitivity rating, too. 83 db is pretty low. Keep in mind that every 3db equals a doubling of sound output.

I dont mean to argue or be a pest but if you bridge an 8 ohm sub you will get 8 ohm mono. I you bridge a 4 ohm sub you will get 4 ohm mono. If you run a dual voice 4 ohm coil then and only then you will get to 2 ohm load. Most all amps will handle a 4 ohm mono load. If you get to 2 ohm mono you will need a high current amp which will usually handle a 1 ohm load.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
Old 06-27-2003, 08:54 PM   #11
chevykid1969

Ok i am now F@#$%^& confused. I am 17 so i must know about car audio.... wrong. Riveted1 i sent you a PM.

Thanks again guys for helping me out. Ill let you guys know when i get things right.LOL
Old 06-27-2003, 10:49 PM   #12
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

cochino12, I don't want to get into a pissing match with you. First of all, you can't bridge a subwoofer. You bridge the amplifier channels. If you have a 4 ohm subwoofer and bridge two channels of an amp to that subwoofer, then each amp channel will see a 2 ohm load. If you have two 4 ohm subs (or 1 dual voice coil sub), and you wire them in parallel, that makes a 2 ohm load. Bridging the amp, will net you a 1 ohm load. And that's all before you put them in an enclosure and heat up the voice coils. But that is for another day!

As far as putting crossovers on 6x9's, I suggested the active crossovers in a 4 channel amp. That would keep all of the really low information out of the 6x9's (cleaning them up) and letting the sub do it's job.

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"