The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-17-2011, 07:18 AM   #1
79bonanza

computer tuning question

ok im goin to run a stock lq4 with no mods just putting it in the old truck, my question is do i have to have my truck futher tuned to get the best performance from it or can i just buy on of the pre tuned computers from one of the many tuners thats already set up for no vats and stuff like that. im just wanting a plug in and go engine with no other tuning required
79bonanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:56 AM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: computer tuning question

a mail order tune to turn off vats and things like rear o2 is all you would really need to get it to run fine. You may also want to consider turning torque management off.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:00 AM   #3
usmcchevy
Has more rust than truck...

In order to get the best performance you need to get a tuned computer or send your comuter in to be tuned. A dyno tune or street tune is even better. Turning off VATS will just get you stock performance with torque managment. A custom tune you can remove TM, get better performance and better gas mileage. I'm sending my computer to Black Bear performance today for a full tune.

LSx Swap FAQ index
usmcchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:30 AM   #4
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Dont send your PCM for just a vats and rear o2 turn off, send it to someone like Nelson Performance or Speartech to get a performance bench tune or take it to a trusted local person knowledgeable in the PCM tuning (to remove vats and rear o2's first) and that has a dyno for when your swap is done.

Youll be spend $ twice if you do it like I did, sending to remove vats, it's just a stock tune.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:51 AM   #5
harnalien
TruckincrazY

I sent mine to black bear too. Can't tell you the results yet because I'm still gathering parts. Hopefully I'll be up and running within the next few weeks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2011, 12:35 PM   #6
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I should add that any mail order tune isn't truly a full tune; a bench tune will always lack what a dyno and or street tune would get you. If you just want cheap and stock (ie plug n play like you said) just either have them take that stuff off, our see if you have a local tuner that can do a quick flash to remove vats, egr etc. If your going to go for performance, then just get a real dyno tune.
I know a lot of guys have gone with the mail order tune, but without the vehicle actually being there, its really only tuning on what the engine "should do" not what it will do. Some people have to have the company re-flash a few times to get it right with the combo they have.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:33 PM   #7
79bonanza

i know alot of you guys are upgrading parts and just hold off to tune your computer but i just plan on running a bone stock lq4. just so im clear i can send my computer out and get vats torque management and egr turned off and it will run just like a factory motor just plug annd play. is this right or am i miss understanding
Old 03-17-2011, 10:44 PM   #8
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79bonanza View Post
i know alot of you guys are upgrading parts and just hold off to tune your computer but i just plan on running a bone stock lq4. just so im clear i can send my computer out and get vats torque management and egr turned off and it will run just like a factory motor just plug annd play. is this right or am i miss understanding
Everyones answers were because you stated in your first post "to get the best performance from it", and they are correct, you really need a live or dyno kind of tune for that. But if all you want is a plug and play, then keep the stock tune, have the VATS removed, rear O2s and other emmissions stuff, have your rear end gear and tire size planned out so they can be changed too, and you'll be good to go. It just won't be the "best" but will work fine for you.
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:33 PM   #9
79bonanza

ok thats my bad, i meant to run a stock motor without having it dyno tuned. LS1nova71 you mentioned knowing the tire size and gears ill be running, is that really nesessary to have my computer tuned. im goin to be running a sm465 trans in the truck is that important to get the right tune also
Old 03-18-2011, 05:22 PM   #10
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

YES! it is, so the computer knows what to give the engine to run right.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:13 PM   #11
ls1nova71

Quote:
ok thats my bad, i meant to run a stock motor without having it dyno tuned. LS1nova71 you mentioned knowing the tire size and gears ill be running, is that really nesessary to have my computer tuned. im goin to be running a sm465 trans in the truck is that important to get the right tune also
Ok, a 4 speed changes things a bit, and may cause some tuning problems because a 6.0 was never offered with a manual transmission, this could cause some issues. Your trans won't have a VSS to tell the computer how fast you're going. You might be able to turn all the automatic stuff off, but I've never done it, so I don't have any personal experience with it. I know running a 350 or 400 turbo behind one of these with no VSS will cause stalling problems upon rapid deceleration, but I don't think you would have that problem with a stick. 6 speeds have clutch pedal anticipate wire going to the PCM, but I don't think it's really necessary unless your running cruise control.

If you are plannin on getting a mail order tune, I would talk to whoever you are planning on using and get their take on it. You may have to just try it, it may work with the auto stuff still in the tune, it would for sure turn on a check engine light if you have one, some people don't. My first Ls1 swap doesn't have one because I know it would be on all the time because it has alot of emission codes in it, it's never been tuned and has been on the road for over 10 years and the swap has about 130k on it.
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:15 AM   #12
79bonanza

are you sure about the VSS, i thought i just would run one of those dakota speed sensor setups on my truck, its a 4x4 it has the same speed sensor as the th350 guys run. i think i left out the part that this is a offroading truck and will see a fair amount of street time also.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:41 PM   #13
Wasted Income
Boosted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde65 View Post
YES! it is, so the computer knows what to give the engine to run right.
False.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
Ok, a 4 speed changes things a bit, and may cause some tuning problems because a 6.0 was never offered with a manual transmission, this could cause some issues. Your trans won't have a VSS to tell the computer how fast you're going. You might be able to turn all the automatic stuff off, but I've never done it, so I don't have any personal experience with it. I know running a 350 or 400 turbo behind one of these with no VSS will cause stalling problems upon rapid deceleration, but I don't think you would have that problem with a stick. 6 speeds have clutch pedal anticipate wire going to the PCM, but I don't think it's really necessary unless your running cruise control.
I have done two different LS swaps to vehicles that aren't automatics. One is to my very own jet-boat. It's a 6.0 LQ4 hooked up to a jet pump. I made a manual trans tune for it...there is no VSS and it works fine. Second is my buddy's CJ5 with a 5.3 and the stock Jeep 4 speed manual. I also swapped a manual trans segment into the 5.3 tune in order for it to work.

Quote:
are you sure about the VSS, i thought i just would run one of those dakota speed sensor setups on my truck, its a 4x4 it has the same speed sensor as the th350 guys run. i think i left out the part that this is a offroading truck and will see a fair amount of street time also.

You don't need a VSS...but you will need a fair amount of tuning to make it all work correctly. I would find someone locally who can do it for you. Who is modding the harness? Being that you're going from an automatic to a manual, you can remove all of the automatic trans wiring from the harness, as well as the emissions garbage. These changes will also need to be reflected in the tune.
2014 VW Passat TDI - Daily Driver
Turbo diesel
2015 Sierra Denali HD Duramax Turbo diesel
2016 Ford Explorer Sport - Twin Turbskis
2017 Polaris RZR Turbo
2014 Nor-Tech Center Console - Twin Supercharged Outboards

TURBO ALL THE THINGS!!
Wasted Income is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:05 PM   #14
52 Rat

This is the tune I am going with. Frost is freeing up 35-40 hp by reflashing the ECU. I have read a lot of good things about Frost. I have several friends using this tune and they were perfect out of the box with proven dyno results.

http://www.tunedbyfrost.com/