The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-07-2023, 01:56 AM   #1
Chevy nutcase

V8 motor mount concerns

Getting ready to drop a mostly new v8 and tkx into my 66 c10 replacing the 250 and sm420 and a bit of worry crept into my brain. After looking at old posts here I found I can reuse the old perches in the rear location on the v8 so cool beans there. I removed the bellhousing crossmember that cradled the 4 speed because the tremec tkx will be getting a new one of its own and it struck me.... Yeah these trucks came through with V8's but not with the torque and hp I'm hoping to get and only being anchored in by the front mounts and trans mount. I pictured the old style motor mounts ripping apart and pure chaos following. Since I'm not using the bell crossmember which I believe took the brunt of rotational forces would I be doing the right thing getting new perches or am I over thinking this? I've put a pic up of the old and new styles that hopefully will be right side up. Looking forward to hearing what you guys think
Attached Images

Chevy nutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 09:34 AM   #2
MT65

Re: V8 motor mount concerns

The early muscle cars were the same system you’re going to…if you feel your gonna have more hp/torque than the big block Camaro and Chevelle then put the rear block mounts on…the motor mounts used then were insulated rubber but had an interlocking metal system the wouldn’t separate it they failed…a good parts guy will know what your looking for….
MT65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 12:02 PM   #3
rideblue00

Wont a 66 c10 auto trans mount work? Plenty of room to move forwards or back. I wouldnt put a Tremec in it and mount it at the bellhousing.

MT65 what are the "block mounts" you are referring to?
Attached Images

rideblue00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 03:06 PM   #4
MT65

Block mount being the bellhousing mount, the forward mounts would be the ones that I was describing, the forward mount and the transmission mount would work fine, yes hanging a tremec off the bellhousing would be disastrous
Old 11-07-2023, 03:08 PM   #5
MT65

The auto transmission mount may need a little modification, but that would be fine…my bad, didn’t read entire post….
Old 11-07-2023, 03:18 PM   #6
Chevy nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT65 View Post
The auto transmission mount may need a little modification, but that would be fine…my bad, didn’t read entire post….
Originally when I decided to do all this I was going to use the silversport crossmember pjmoreland used in his build but then realizing I was probably going to run my exhaust above the tranny crossmember I bought tubing to fab my own crossmember and save a few bucks. Then in a rare moment of clarity I remembered last year I bought a 71 C10 rolling chassis for the rear end and power steering components I recalled it came with an auto trans crossmember soooo I'm going to use that since I now know there are motor mounts to handle this setup

Is this the style big block mounts you suggested? Little more pricy but worth the piece of mind
Attached Images

Last edited by Chevy nutcase; 11-07-2023 at 03:28 PM.
Chevy nutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 09:23 PM   #7
MT65

No, those are not what I meant, they would be the motor mounts for the high horsepower factory muscle cars, Camaro, Chevelle, Corvette…that looks like the rear bellhousing cushions for the stock C-10 stuff.
Finda good parts guy and he can get you the correct stuff, these new “I need your VIN number “ people are oblivious to situation you’re in…basically they don’t know squat…