The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2023, 11:46 PM   #1
wazzabie

seeking kill switch suggestions

I would like to install a kill switch but I don't want to cut into any of the factory wiring. Any suggestions?
wazzabie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 11:49 PM   #2
Bandit130

Re: seeking kill switch suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzabie View Post
I would like to install a kill switch but I don't want to cut into any of the factory wiring. Any suggestions?
My suggestion is to install or have an alarm installed. I did and have no regrets.

Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice
Bandit130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 01:13 AM   #3
Dead Parrot

Pretty much by definition, a kill switch involves modifying some aspect of the factory wiring. A kill switch is installed in series with a wire carrying current needed to start and/or run the motor. You have to cut something somewhere to install the switch.

If you go with an alarm and have bent the knee to the smartphone tracking universe, get an alarm that sends you an alert and possibly photos/video from the cab mounted camera. So much better when your 911 call includes a detailed description of the person currently in the act of stealing your vehicle. Perhaps hide one of those Apple tags/gps sender somewhere on the truck. If they succeed in the theft, you have a chance it will phone home with its location.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 05:37 PM   #4
truckin 79

I use on of these on positive battery cable, mainly to save battery from discharging. The Die Hard battery in truck is about 15 years old, starts the truck every time. CO has become the #1 state for car thefts as of late, I really wish people would stop moving here. Anyway I have also added the club to my truck as an extra safety measure. The truck also has a hood release that is inside the cab 79 so that also helps. Simple install of battery kill switch as well
Old 02-09-2023, 07:27 AM   #5
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckin 79 View Post
I use on of these on positive battery cable, mainly to save battery from discharging. The Die Hard battery in truck is about 15 years old, starts the truck every time. CO has become the #1 state for car thefts as of late, I really wish people would stop moving here. Anyway I have also added the club to my truck as an extra safety measure. The truck also has a hood release that is inside the cab 79 so that also helps. Simple install of battery kill switch as well
X2 on battery cutoff switch with removable key. But you’ll want to mount it so that it is difficult for the thief to get to the terminals on the back or they’ll just jump them and steal it anyway. The only bummer is this will reset your radio settings every time you use it.

OR

What I’ve done in the past is mount a normally closed momentary push button in the radiator support so it contacts the hood when closed. I then wire the horn through this switch so if I’m someone pops the hood, the horn immediately blasts and won’t stop until the hood is closed. This is usually enough to bring attention and scare people away. You can add another on/off switch in series and hide that somewhere convenient for yourself so you can get under the hood without making the horn go off. Easy and cheap.

Then all you have to do is pull the ignition wire out of the coil and you’re all set. Once they pop the hood to see why it won’t start, boom.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 05:29 PM   #6
1976gmc20

Quote:
We left CO over 25 years ago. It was getting worse back then.
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 09:53 PM   #7
Factory Guy

Quote:
I did that as well on one of my cars, the red handle (removable part) was hidden inside the car where one wouldn't look. After I did this I read where you should do it on the NEGATIVE cable and not the POSTIVE cable.
Factory Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 12:14 AM   #8
87chevy.com
BMW & ASE Master Certified

100% chance if you pay any retail store to solve this problem, wires will be cut, crimped with a hammer and most likely mutilated at worst.

What I do and will recommend to you. figure out what circuit you want to add kill switch to.

Research connector, find terminal family name and size
Buy Terminals
Buy proper crimp tool, quality, not cheap!
Buy wire that matches OE wire color being modified
Remove wire from Circuit,
Cut OE terminal off at 1st crip, pull off remaining strain relief - this saves the most and you only loose 1/8" of wire or so

Crimp new end to new wire from kill switch and install new wire with factory crimp to the circuit you want.

clint

I also found a programmable module for kill switches. will only share over PM.

New project: 2006 BMW x5 6cyl AWD to L83 6l80e 4wd to 2WD / RWD

A poor man buy's it twice

finally got my domain name back, 87chevy.com.... site rework in progress
87chevy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 07:11 PM   #9
Just call me Sean

The steering lock and gearshift lock are the main theft deterrent. I could hotwire your truck in under two minutes but would have to break the locks to drive it away. I hotwired my K5 when a fusible link melted but I didn't find it until I got home because it was easier to hotwire it than diagnose it on the side of the road.

I would suggest the kit that allows you to remove the steering wheel if you're that worried about it getting stolen.
Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 09:15 PM   #10
Bandit130

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WnPey_5Trc

Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice
Bandit130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 11:41 PM   #11
Bloodhound

I go with a two part approach. A fuel pump kill switch (I'm fuel injected) and a hidden commercial GPS tracker that is battery powered - 5 years on 3 AA batteries. There is a subscription cost for the tracker, but the reality is if someone wants the truck, they'll drag it onto a ramp truck and disappear. I like knowing that if the worst happens, I'll be able to quickly locate it.
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 12:20 PM   #12
v30crewcab

battery kill switch, with a fuse between the two terminals. retains power unless you try to start it with it shut off. retaining your radio settings but will pop the fuse if they try to start it.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=522535
v30crewcab is offline   Reply With Quote