The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2023, 11:11 PM   #1
muddstir

Air compressor regulator placement.

I'm finally getting around to installing my air compressor's regulator, and I'm not sure if there is a proper placement for it or I'm just overthinking it.
I have a Ingersoll rand 80gal compressor that is plumbed into a sullair refrigerated air dryer thing, then the outgoing air from that feeds my shop. When I install this regulator should I install it inbetween the air compressor's out line and the in line on the air dryer OR should it be installed in between the out line of the air dryer and where it feeds the shop.

I'm thinking the second option is better that way there is not a whole bunch of moisture going through the regulator. Or am I wrong and it should be before?
muddstir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 09:40 AM   #2
MJN

Re: Air compressor regulator placement.

I would install it between the compressor and dryer. You can always add a regulator on the shop side of the dryer as well in case you're seeing pressure drop from the dryer and increase the pressure from the compressor into the dryer and then adjust to run normal shop pressure (typically 90psi) coming out but I would have one at the compressor outlet for sure. Does the dryer have a max inlet pressure specification?
'72 GMC Sierra Custom K2500- in progress
'08 GMC Envoy Denali
'12 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali
'17 GMC Yukon XL
VCCA member #58596
http://www.nohrco.com
MJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 12:53 PM   #3
Dead Parrot

The question about max input on the dryer is good. A lot of compressor rigs have output pressure of 150~175psi. If the dryer is rated for what the compressor is putting out, then put your regulator after the dryer. Less moisture plus your regulator can compensate for any pressure drops inside the dryer. Otherwise that 90psi regulator adjustment might turn into 75psi at the tool after dryer + pipe + hose pressure drops once the air starts flowing.

I have my regulators after the piping where they adjust the pressure going into the hose.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 01:57 PM   #4
Accelo

Typical air dryer is rated at 200psi. Because of the pressure drop across the dryer I would add it after the dryer. Personally I leave my dryer and lines at tank pressure and have the regulator at the hose connection. My regulator has quick disconnects and can be moved to the location that is in use. I doubt that regulator placement will impact the function of the system.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 02:04 PM   #5
A1971Blazer

Mine goes from the compressor into the dryer then out to the receiver/tank
The outlet from the tank is where my regulator is and has always been.
Name:  IRcompressor.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  30.2 KB
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 10:56 PM   #6
muddstir

Thanks folks.
I did check tonight and the max inlet pressure is 250psig on the dryer and the air compressor shuts off at 180 (I think). So all is good together.
I am installing a few different airlines throughout the garage that will be also be regulated and filter separately for different processes.
This first regulator is for the main feeder line so I'm probably going to set it around 110psi.
muddstir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 06:33 AM   #7
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

I would say that regulator placement purely depends on how you use the air. (how precisely you need it)
The assuming that you have some specific need for a lower pressure at a certain location:
I would put the first regulator at the output point of the reservoir (tank), since there would be a drop in the lines as the air is used if the regulator was before it. (right after the dryer)
This would be the "main" pressure. Then, if there is a need for a lower pressure needed somewhere else (or a very specific pressure for a machine) I would put a second regulator as close as possible to that need.
Many tools are supposed to be run at a max of 90PSI, though few people actually do that, using the typical 125-135. Though likely the most likely reason is spray equipment or sandblasters, which should be considerably lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote