The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2011, 09:51 PM   #1
"El Jalapeno 66"

Need Help!!! How To Clean My C10 66 Gas Tank

today i finish with all the engine work, engine start and runs great but the bad new is that my tank is super dirty and rusted, apparently was more than 6 years without the cap, i take out a lot of water and garbage

WHICH IS THE BEST WAY TO CLEAN IN THIS CASE?
Attached Images

"El Jalapeno 66" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:56 PM   #2
j.kirn

Re: Need Help!!! How To Clean My C10 66 Gas Tank

I took mine to the local radiator shop
j.kirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:00 PM   #3
"El Jalapeno 66"

I never thought about it!!

how much did you pay?
Old 12-13-2011, 10:17 PM   #4
BMERDOC

I paid $125 to have mine cleaned and sealed. If you enter "clean gas tank" in the search box a lot of threads come up that discuss cleaning. Seems Muratic acid is the best. Droppin a chain in or pressure wash to remove the scale. Between the cost of chemicals and my labor sending it out was the best option. New tanks are as thin as new cars.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:36 PM   #5
"El Jalapeno 66"

Thanks!!!

The problem is that i live in calexico by the border to mexico and here are no radiator shops and i cant take it to mexico because we cant pass car parts so i going to do it myself
Old 12-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #6
theastronaut

Here's what my tank looked like after a being cleaned at a radiator shop. Most of the rust was gone but it still had a thin coating of rust inside.

After cleaning with muriatic acid and rinsing with water/baking soda mix to neutralize the acid.

Water/baking soda mixture rinsed out, then used PPG DX series Metal Cleaner to get the hazy rust off from the water/soda rinse. I poured the PPG Metal Cleaner out, then rinsed the tank with PPG Metal Conditioner and dried it with a heat gun aimed into the sending unit hole. We've done a few tanks this way and the one in our '57 VW that we did a few years ago still looks like new inside. The PPG Metal Conditioner leaves a coating that prevents rust, and won't come off and gum up the fuel lines and carburetor like some sealers can.

Outside wetsanded and painted.

Last edited by theastronaut; 08-20-2012 at 08:11 AM. Reason: fix dead pic links
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:18 PM   #7
1963c-10

Nice job on the tank.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #8
BMERDOC

Very nice job on that tank!
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:10 AM   #9
ajgriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
Here's what my tank looked like after a being cleaned at a radiator shop. Most of the rust was gone but it still had a thin coating of rust inside.

After cleaning with muriatic acid and rinsing with water/baking soda mix to neutralize the acid.

Water/baking soda mixture rinsed out, then used PPG DX series Metal Cleaner to get the hazy rust off from the water/soda rinse. I poured the PPG Metal Cleaner out, then rinsed the tank with PPG Metal Conditioner and dried it with a heat gun aimed into the sending unit hole. We've done a few tanks this way and the one in our '57 VW that we did a few years ago still looks like new inside. The PPG Metal Conditioner leaves a coating that prevents rust, and won't come off and gum up the fuel lines and carburetor like some sealers can.

Outside wetsanded and painted.

This looks awesome! It's hard to imagine having any problems after a cleaning this good. Can you give more detail about the process? Specifically, what source did you use for the muriatic acid? How much did you put in the tank and for how long? Same questions for the water/baking soda and PPG products. Also, what kind of mix did you do for the water/baking soda? Also, did you do this with the sender still installed or did you pull it? Etc etc
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-24-2012, 01:19 AM   #10
ozzyman

Ask a pool store for muriatic acid

Proud dad of 3 girls, 1 boy and 1 TBD in Dec of 2012 - Lucky Husband

"Family owned and operated since 1969"
Dad's 66' Custom Camper - Big Family Small Budget
ozzyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #11
theastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgriffin View Post
This looks awesome! It's hard to imagine having any problems after a cleaning this good. Can you give more detail about the process? Specifically, what source did you use for the muriatic acid? How much did you put in the tank and for how long? Same questions for the water/baking soda and PPG products. Also, what kind of mix did you do for the water/baking soda? Also, did you do this with the sender still installed or did you pull it? Etc etc
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
I bought the muriatic acid from Tractor Supply, but any pool supply store will have it. Only put enough in it to slosh around and fully coat the inside, slosh it regularly to keep the inside coated until all the rust is dissolved. Leave the sender out, and plug the hole with a steel plate to seal the tank. Mask the filler neck off with duct tape. Once all the rust is gone, dump it out and add baking soda and water until the soda stops fizzing up like a science project volcano. Make sure you also neutralize the acid that you've dumped out! I had to do the soda/water mix a few times to fully neutralize the acid. The inside of the tank will get a hazy coat of flash rust inside when flushing the muriatic acid.

For the PPG Metal Cleaner, pour it in and slosh it in the tank to fully coat the inside and leave it in until the hazy rust is gone, then dump it. Put enough PPG Metal Conditioner in the tank to flush out the Metal Cleaner, and dump that. Add more Conditioner and slosh to keep it wet for about 15 minutes to get a good buildup of zinc phosphate. Dump it, let it drain, then aim a hair dryer or heat gun in the sending unit hole until the tank is completely dry. If it's going to be awhile until you use the tank use an air hose to blow in WD40 to lightly coat and protect the inside.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #12
ajgriffin

Hey guys, I'm getting ready to put the truck back on the road and wanted to clean the tank first, but can you guys tell me where you bought the PPG cleaners from? I see the PPG DX579 (cleaner) for $45 at an online retailer and PPG DX520 (conditioner) for $60 on Amazon. That's at $105 without the muriatic acid or the trip to the radiator shop. LMC truck has replacement tanks for $150, why not just go that route?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #13
theastronaut

I get the DX cleaner/conditioner locally for a little less than $20 bucks a quart each. No need to buy the gallon size. I bet there will be oversize shipping charges on a new tank.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #14
ajgriffin

I knew there was a catch. I'll try Napa today to see if they have the smaller sizes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #15
jayoldschool

A brand new tank cost me $159, shipped.

If you want to clean yours, Home Depot has the stuff you need, down the aisle with paint thinner, etc.
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #16
AcampoDave

As a pool service guy I just gotta warn you guys that muriatic acid is pretty caustic stuff. It fumes heavily in humid conditions and can be leathal when mixed with certain chemicals. (Like chlorinated compounds.) It does remove rust but will also eat clean metal too if given time. If you go this route I would not seal off the reaction in any way that could trap pressurized gasses in the tank. And be smart wear goggles, and keep a water hose within reach. Don't mean to be a mother hen here, but I use this stuff every day and its powerful stuff. It's safe in a pool but....you know what I'm sayin' here right?

Last edited by AcampoDave; 07-03-2013 at 10:25 PM. Reason: typo
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 11:18 AM   #17
akqj9

is there a screen at the pickup tube? IF so can it be eliminated with out too much trouble? My truck quit and I blew air back into the tank then it started. I'd rather not have something that can clog in the tank. I prefer an inline filter that I can see and replace.
akqj9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 01:50 PM   #18
AcampoDave

My thinking is that if that screen is repeatedly clogging, the inside of your tank is pretty nasty. I realize money doesn't grow on trees, but band aid fixes often wind up costing more than we think when we do them. At 149 bucks a new tank would likely solve your problems for decades to come. You could put in a new rubber sleeve on the fill spout while you're at it and relax in the knowledge that you have solved that particular problem once and for all.
https://www.classicparts.com/1960-66...yABEgI4tfD_BwE extra capacity tank
https://www.speedshopstore.com/tanks...utm_medium=cse standard tank with free shipping. I've done buisness with Tanks inc. before and I liked them.

Last edited by AcampoDave; 09-06-2020 at 01:58 PM.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 09:19 AM   #19
richards72chevy

If that cap was off for over six and you poured water out of it I would just replace it.I wasted a bunch of time trying to clean out my original tank.
richards72chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 12:24 PM   #20
vince1

Thanks for the reminder. I've just posted two on Kijiji for a dollar.
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote