The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-06-2011, 10:06 PM   #1
tasian

betsy my work turck

i've been working the truck already for about 6 months but haven't had the time to start a thread so i figured i needed to get caught up

i bought the truck for $630 with a bad rear end smoking motor and both sides of the truck were a different color didn't have any powerbrakes or powersteering but i drove it for a couple months before the rearend blew up which is when i picked up a dana 61 with 3.31's instead of the 4.11 the truck had anyways i threw that in and did a axle flip then parked it and went out of state :blah blah blah:

so when i got back i knew the truck would need a new motor which is when my brother in law gave me a 406 he had sitting (all the work is also being done in his garage ) turned out there was a bit of rust in the cylinders so i pretty much did a "fresh'n up" on it ended up being more of a full rebuild

heres the tear down of the 406

everything was in pretty good shape due to there only being about 700 miles on the motor when it got parked but a few cylinders did get rust

i soaked the cylinder in diesel and sanded down the rust so i could get the piston out without damage

then i had 3 cylinders sleeved (2 due to rust 1 due to a pit) and honing new cam bearings all that good stuff

then i was waiting on parts and money so i got the truck and starting tearing down the frontend

it was pretty dirty everything was SOAKED in oil

got the parts in and the short block together

got some rebuilt heads from the shop

some paint helped it look good