The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2021, 02:18 PM   #51
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Re: 86 Suburban w/ 56k miles

These trucks look much better with the running boards removed. mine are gone too and love it.

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 01:20 PM   #52
wazzabie

What is the story with these Chevrolet key fobs? I've seen another one with a 1985. Does GM match the original owner to the number on the key fob? Was this a dealer option? Is there any way to update GM records?
wazzabie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 07:59 AM   #53
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzabie View Post
What is the story with these Chevrolet key fobs? I've seen another one with a 1985. Does GM match the original owner to the number on the key fob? Was this a dealer option? Is there any way to update GM records?
I’m not sure. My guess is this was the later version of the protect-o-plate cards.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 10:47 AM   #54
Corts60
Just here to tinker

I was scrubbing the tank, prepping it for POR15 and found another build number. 83. It’s written everywhere: under dash, on firewall, on rad support, on frame. Pretty sweet that it is all still legible.

Got the new sender installed, going to paint the top of the tank with POR 15 and repair the few surfaces on the frame where the anti-squeak padding was holding moisture and causing rust. The rest of the frame in that area is still factory black and shiny which is awesome.

Next will be all new fuel hoses, gluing on the new anti-squeak pads and then getting the tank back in.
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2021, 10:04 PM   #55
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Well I got the fuel tank and all new hoses installed. Hooked up the new sender and…nothing. It still doesn’t work. Kinda made me mad a little bit. But, oh well we’ll continue troubleshooting. I thought maybe the gauge went south on me so I figured I’d get a new one. But then while I was looking up a new gauge, I started eyeballing the aftermarket tach kits and thought, yep, I’ll add that since I’m in the dash anyways.

So I got that installed tonight and works wonderful. I’m very impressed with the quality of the LMC tach kit. It’s probably the best aftermarket/reproduction part I’ve ever seen. It’s nice to see some high quality parts coming back on the market.

Now I have to focus again and solve this dang fuel gauge problem. I’m almost certain I have a break in the wire somewhere….
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2021, 12:31 AM   #56
evan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corts60 View Post
Well I got the fuel tank and all new hoses installed. Hooked up the new sender and…nothing. It still doesn’t work. Kinda made me mad a little bit. But, oh well we’ll continue troubleshooting. I thought maybe the gauge went south on me so I figured I’d get a new one. But then while I was looking up a new gauge, I started eyeballing the aftermarket tach kits and thought, yep, I’ll add that since I’m in the dash anyways.

So I got that installed tonight and works wonderful. I’m very impressed with the quality of the LMC tach kit. It’s probably the best aftermarket/reproduction part I’ve ever seen. It’s nice to see some high quality parts coming back on the market.

Now I have to focus again and solve this dang fuel gauge problem. I’m almost certain I have a break in the wire somewhere….
Nice. I've been looking at that tach conversion kit but they don't have the style to match my speedo in stock. I'll keep an eye out for it though. That looks great.
Old 12-05-2021, 02:15 PM   #57
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan View Post
Nice. I've been looking at that tach conversion kit but they don't have the style to match my speedo in stock. I'll keep an eye out for it though. That looks great.
Thanks!
Old 12-05-2021, 02:19 PM   #58
Corts60
Just here to tinker

So here's what it was like to install the aftermarket tach kit; again, really impressed with it:

I took out the original cluster and swapped the original gauges, bulbs, and little indicator light covers to the new cluster.

The first pic the gauges are still in the original cluster. I took some photos of the stickers that were on the original cluster. I also took a photo to show the black finish on the aftermarket fuel gauge is just slightly more flat than the originals. But when it's all installed, you can't tell.
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2021, 02:29 PM   #59
Corts60
Just here to tinker

After the new cluster assembly was together, then I had to run the tach wire to the distributor. This required drilling a hole in the fire wall (cringe), but the grommet they supplied and the location I chose, I think it looks pretty factory.

I realized when I went to hook up to the tach signal, that the spot was already occupied? Turns out, my dealer installed Chapman security system not only locks the hood from being opened, but used the tach signal port on the distributor to kill the ignition. So, even if you pry'd the hood open, you wouldn't be able to tell why the truck wouldn't start because it all looks factory and everything is hooked up. Pretty cool system. I took some pics of what it looks like.
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2021, 02:31 PM   #60
Corts60
Just here to tinker

But in the end, the install was very easy and straightforward, the parts are quality, and the kit has everything you need. Even the power supply to the tach has the factory style plug.
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2021, 02:39 PM   #61
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Now that the tach distraction is over, I got back to troubleshooting the fuel tank problem. I've verified every wire, connection, and gauge function. Therefore, I think I bought a bum sender. I know the sender itself works electrically, because I tested it before installing it. So the float must've had a leak and filled with fuel. Can't be anything else. But I've already put a half tank of fuel in it and I'm just not in the mood to drain it and drop the tank again. So this is getting put on the back burner.

Honestly, I'm really considering fuel injection and putting in a TBI fuel sender/pump assembly in the tank when I drop it next time. We'll see!
Old 12-10-2021, 01:49 AM   #62
LT7A

That tach conversion is really clean. I'd like to do it, but I think I'm just going to go with the aftermarket column mounted / fold away tachometer option.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 01:43 PM   #63
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Finally we have a nice day in western Michigan!
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2022, 01:45 PM   #64
Corts60
Just here to tinker

This week I replaced the rusty original 2 1/4” tailpipe with a new 3” factory style like my ‘88 has.
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2022, 08:39 PM   #65
elimontfort

Hey there sir I was wondering what type of remote lock unit you are using?

Quote:
Well, I did a couple "Fancy" additions this weekend.
10 years ago I would've never thought about adding modern conveniences to my classic trucks because I am such a purist. But, as I get older, some conveniences are very nice to have.

So I put in a remote lock unit that ties in with the factory lock system. So now I can remote lock/unlock like a modern car and it also blinks the running lights.

I also put in a back up camera. After 20 years of hooking up trailers the hard way, I figured it was time to make my life a little easier. And this is a remote camera set-up, so I didn't have to butcher up wiring or drill any holes. It's not bad for $80.
elimontfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 06:19 AM   #66
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by elimontfort View Post
Hey there sir I was wondering what type of remote lock unit you are using?
I bought a FicBox unit from Amazon. It’s like $15 or so. Been very reliable and the range is decent.
Old 06-30-2022, 03:09 PM   #67
Hart_Rod

Quote:
But in the end, the install was very easy and straightforward, the parts are quality, and the kit has everything you need. Even the power supply to the tach has the factory style plug.
I've had one those kits in a box for about two years but still haven't installed it yet in my 87....:-(. Yours looks great and is kinda motivating me to get it done! Any lessons learned or suggestions to make the install go better? Thanks!

Rob
Attached Images

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 06-30-2022 at 03:17 PM.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 03:17 PM   #68
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
I've had one those kits in a box for about two years but still haven't installed it yet in my 87....:-(. Yours looks great and is kinda motivating me to get it done! Any lessons learned or suggestions to make the install go better? Thanks!

Rob
Hi Rob,

It was pretty straight forward. I didn’t connect horn, so that makes it easier. I do remember having to remove the lower drivers kick panel, but I don’t remember to much other fuss.
Old 12-30-2022, 05:26 PM   #69
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Well I have some updates!

I’ve decided to install a modest drop, like 2/4 or so, and I’ve got new wheels!

These are 275/55R17 tires and Vision 17” wheels. I was going for a modern twist on a retro style and I’m pretty happy with it.

I had custom stickers made to add to the center caps. Lowering kit will be here next month and I’ll post more when I start that process!
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2022, 05:33 PM   #70
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

The wheel and tire combo looks good. Glad you kept some sidewalls on the tires. Looks so much better than the rubber band look.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 06:22 PM   #71
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
The wheel and tire combo looks good. Glad you kept some sidewalls on the tires. Looks so much better than the rubber band look.
Thanks Bill! Yes, having sidewalls was important to me. My goal was to recreate the classic 275/60/15 look on a 17” wheel. I really wish they made a white letter 17” tire.

I went with this size also because it is almost the exact same height as the 255/70/15 so I don’t need to change speedo gears or anything.
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2023, 02:07 PM   #72
65chevysub

Quote:
Finished waxing the roof and the passenger side...holy smokes. That's a lot of sheet metal!
When I had my 65 Suburban, I would say it's like waxing a barn, lol
65chevysub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 02:08 PM   #73
65chevysub

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFiftyShifter View Post
My opinion - please remove! I bought an 87 with the same running boards. Once I pulled them off, I had a big smile on.
I'm putting boards on my 84 Sierra long bed. I like the look, but most importantly for my wife to get in and out easier, especially after her knee revision in the next few weeks.
65chevysub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 01:47 PM   #74
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65chevysub View Post
I'm putting boards on my 84 Sierra long bed. I like the look, but most importantly for my wife to get in and out easier, especially after her knee revision in the next few weeks.
Yep, sometimes function wins over form!
Old 01-04-2023, 01:48 PM   #75
Corts60
Just here to tinker

I got the black/gold center cap stickers today. I think this is a much better combo.
Attached Images