The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2021, 06:37 PM   #26
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Re: I am thinking of adding glue on strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverfish View Post
I dont think you need that tool to cut, trim is cut easily with sharp utility knife.

Check out this video by Kevin Tetz with LMC, it helped me a lot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffYSF-9dHdo&t=1001s

This install is not that hard, dont be intimidated. Take your time on the first few pieces, you will do just fine.
Perfect ,,thanks ,.I can do this .. I looked but didn't find what this LMC video
Old 10-22-2021, 08:11 PM   #27
hooverfish

Did you click on the link for the video ?
That will take you to the video on Youtube, click on that video to watch.
Call me if you need help watching the video. 502-501-1037

"It's a sorry man who can't find his wife a good job"
hooverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 07:52 AM   #28
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverfish View Post
Did you click on the link for the video ?
That will take you to the video on Youtube, click on that video to watch.
Call me if you need help watching the video. 502-501-1037
I did see the video and saved it for this next summer or maybe in my garage if I can get it warm enough ,thank you . it is a good video
Old 10-26-2021, 05:16 AM   #29
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
What blade do you use :plywood blade"?
I don't do much cutting of plywood with a chop saw. A chop saw will allow you to cut fixed angles and bevels. A higher tooth-number blade will be better than lower number.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 05:27 AM   #30
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzabie View Post
The problem I see with the glued on trim strips is that over time rust happens behind the strips. At least that is what happened to the originals.
I have seen rust at the trim line. But my squares all are long-time PNW trucks, have the trim and aren't rusted there. I do think you have to wash them often enough to keep from growing moss there though, since it will hold moisture against the paint. But we're only talking about needing to wash it a couple times a year to prevent that. An alternative idea is to pull the mounting tape that the trim comes with off, and use short, closely-spaced vertical or diagonal strips of 3M trim tape.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:29 AM   #31
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer2007 View Post
can you re-glue old strips that are falling or have fallen off ?
3M trim tape will do it. Auto paint place or maybe even big-box hardware stores.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:33 AM   #32
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepwm69 View Post
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=583306

I started a thread about it back in the day. Still have trim corners and nothing else on my truck, but I've been focusing (on and off) on the interior lately.
I wonder if the black stripes down in the lower areas of the "chrome" tape can be cleaned off. Then we could tape off the wide center strip and spray that with a bed liner or texture product. SEM makes a texture product that would need paint over it. A can of the bed liner would probably do it and could be held close enough to the trim to not create too much texture.
Old 10-26-2021, 04:24 PM   #33
Jeepwm69

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
I wonder if the black stripes down in the lower areas of the "chrome" tape can be cleaned off. Then we could tape off the wide center strip and spray that with a bed liner or texture product. SEM makes a texture product that would need paint over it. A can of the bed liner would probably do it and could be held close enough to the trim to not create too much texture.
The factory trim had a clear plastic cover over the trim. I'm not sure how well aftermarket trim would hold up over time assuming that same cover would be there and have to be removed to paint the center section.

Not a bad idea at all though.
Jeepwm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 09:52 AM   #34
GOPAPA

While we are on the subject of trim.. I have another question ,,my trim has some missing black thin lines with in it .. what have you all done to repaint this thin line ,, I was thinking get a good steady handed girl who paints good like my granddaughter to do it ??

A look-a-like for comparison below

Name:  41KqUm89dOL._AC_.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  19.0 KB
Old 10-27-2021, 12:19 PM   #35
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepwm69 View Post
The factory trim had a clear plastic cover over the trim. I'm not sure how well aftermarket trim would hold up over time assuming that same cover would be there and have to be removed to paint the center section.

Not a bad idea at all though.
I think the black lines are painted on to what you're calling the cover. so the black can probably be carefully cleaned off. I'll take a look at it on my truck later. That cover is to protect the silver/chrome foil and is present on the trim with the black center too. anyway, that center can be scuffed and painted right on top of that cover.I've actually done it just with trim paint before to patch in a piece.
Old 10-27-2021, 12:21 PM   #36
LT7A

Quote:
While we are on the subject of trim.. I have another question ,,my trim has some missing black thin lines with in it .. what have you all done to repaint this thin line ,, I was thinking get a good steady handed girl who paints good like my granddaughter to do it ??

A look-a-like for comparison below

Attachment 2141761
I'm confused GoPapa. What you have pictured is what you need. Did you already buy some and it didn't have the black lines? It sure should have. If it doesn't, then I would get black vinyl pinstriping and ask your granddaughter to paint you a picture of your truck.

Last edited by LT7A; 10-27-2021 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-27-2021, 12:51 PM   #37
GOPAPA

Quote:
I'm confused to GoPapa. What you have pictured is what you need. Did you already buy some and it didn't have the black lines? It sure should have. If it doesn't, then I would get black vinyl pinstriping and ask your granddaughter to paint you a picture of your truck.
That was an example ..there are black painted lines in the chrome around the fenders also.. I should of taken a picture of the chrome on my truck ,, better explaining it would of been .
Old 10-27-2021, 01:04 PM   #38
LT7A

Oh, you mean other trim besides the trim we were talking about. I mask that stuff off and spray in the black.
Old 10-27-2021, 03:31 PM   #39
GOPAPA

Quote:
Oh, you mean other trim besides the trim we were talking about. I mask that stuff off and spray in the black.
I was afraid you were going to say that,, thx but ,,whew! taping around corners of the wheel well fender chrome will take a bit a time and scissoring huh?
Old 10-27-2021, 03:37 PM   #40
LEEVON

Check out my "how-to" in the FAQ truck tech 73-87. The main things I learned is that you need to use an anvil style cutter (one flat surface side) and the pre-cut kits are a poor fit. Your custom cuts will be tight and sealed well using the correct cutter.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=572074

Last edited by LEEVON; 10-27-2021 at 03:44 PM.
LEEVON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 07:30 AM   #41
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEVON View Post
Check out my "how-to" in the FAQ truck tech 73-87. The main things I learned is that you need to use an anvil style cutter (one flat surface side) and the pre-cut kits are a poor fit. Your custom cuts will be tight and sealed well using the correct cutter.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=572074
Very Good ..thanks .I have copied all this you have shown and will dig it out and use it as my guide to doing the job when warmer weather comes again in my area,,

I was wondering about expansion of metal on the truck when one glues the strips on.. What I am getting at is should this be done on a in between hot and cold day ? Say about 70 degrees ..I may be over thinking this ?
Old 10-28-2021, 08:02 AM   #42
LEEVON

I did mine on a cold day, 40-ish. No issues.
Old 10-28-2021, 09:41 AM   #43
72c20customcamper

Quote:
I was afraid you were going to say that,, thx but ,,whew! taping around corners of the wheel well fender chrome will take a bit a time and scissoring huh?
3m fine line tape is what you would use .
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 09:45 AM   #44
LT7A

Quote:
72C20CC nailed it (or should I say: covered it well ; ) That stuff will go around corners like on fender trim without wrinkling. And then you can use 3/4, or 1 inch tape on top of it, overlapping a bit in order to mask the rest of the trim.
Old 10-29-2021, 10:16 AM   #45
GOPAPA

Quote:
72C20CC nailed it (or should I say: covered it well ; ) That stuff will go around corners like on fender trim without wrinkling. And then you can use 3/4, or 1 inch tape on top of it, overlapping a bit in order to mask the rest of the trim.
thanks guys ..have to wait until summer to do it ,guess I will have to look real good and decide to leave what's still there as far as the black paint ..or ?? I have nephew who is a body and fender /auto painter that I will ask how to take old paint out of this chrome strip ..
Old 10-30-2021, 05:58 AM   #46
bigschuss

I added it to mine last spring. Before and after. Got the the pre-cut trim. Went on real easy.

bigschuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 11:29 AM   #47
LT7A

Quote:
thanks guys ..have to wait until summer to do it ,guess I will have to look real good and decide to leave what's still there as far as the black paint ..or ?? I have nephew who is a body and fender /auto painter that I will ask how to take old paint out of this chrome strip ..
A little bit of rubbing on that old paint with tan Scotch-Brite will probably do the trick - remove it if it's about gone anyway, or scuff it and give it a little tooth for your primer to grab. If you can probably recommend what paint to use too.
Old 10-30-2021, 11:35 AM   #48
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigschuss View Post
I added it to mine last spring. Before and after. Got the the pre-cut trim. Went on real easy.

One of my favorite blazers on here. If you lived in WA instead of MA, I'd be tempted to come over and help put a little glow back into the paint ; ) With a little bit of time and elbow grease, that red would probably come back beautifully. Please understand my comment as a quip and a compliment, not a criticism. I know that you have family to tend to and we all have a lot going on.
Old 10-30-2021, 01:08 PM   #49
bigschuss

Quote:
One of my favorite blazers on here. If you lived in WA instead of MA, I'd be tempted to come over and help put a little glow back into the paint ; ) With a little bit of time and elbow grease, that red would probably come back beautifully. Please understand my comment as a quip and a compliment, not a criticism. I know that you have family to tend to and we all have a lot going on.
Thanks. I appreciate the kind words. No offense taken at all. I totally hear you about the paint. When I first bough this about 3 years ago I did all kinds of research about cutting and buffing paint. Decided to hold off while I restored the interior. This winter I am going to work on the underside and in the engine bay.

There's something about the faded red patina that I like. The interior is mint. Mechanically the truck is solid. Something about the old paint that says "survivor."
bigschuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 03:25 PM   #50
LT7A

I hear that. We're a little off topic here, but I think we've covered the original topic pretty well and I doubt that go papa will mind. I take a different approach to paint than many and I do it all by hand due to the old paint on these trucks. The typical cut and buff process can remove too much paint in my opinion. I use multiple steps to remove impurities, add clarity, protect, and a little shine results. I'm not interested in trying to get the gloss that you can get with a clear coat system. Good paint preservation restores some richness and luster to it. If any of that sounds interesting, hit me up. And for the record, I don't rep these products, haha, I'm just an enthusiast.