The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-10-2022, 09:46 PM   #126
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: HG's Dream Car Build - Shelby Cobra Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62c30 View Post
On the t5 and tremec transmissions I've put in mustangs I always fill afterwards by pulling the shifter. Makes it easy
I think I can reach the fill plug from the top because there's no cover on the transmission tunnel but if that doesn't work I might try your way. Although that might not work either since there's a tube going across right by the shifter.

Last weekend I finished getting the engine and transmission bolted down. I had to make a plate to offset the transmission mount so it would bolt to the crossmember. I have no idea why they didn't make the crossmember so it worked with this combo since it's one of the most common set ups.

Started my new job Monday so it's been nothing but onboarding and training all week. I got time this morning to bring the driveshaft and new yoke to the driveline shop. Should have a driveshaft next week.

Pulled the shifter out of the kit box and it's not the right style. This is for like a T-5 where the shifter is set back and the handle leans fwd. I might be able to redrill this and shorten it. The knob is a cheap plastic thing that I won't use. Also next on the list is getting the gas pedal in. It takes some modification to fit.
Attached Images

hgs_notes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 12:29 AM   #127
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Got the driveshaft, $465 total for a 10" long shaft. Yikes

I installed it today then tried getting the exhaust started. That didn't go well at all. I think I have the wrong headers. The ones that I got with the kit bolt to the engine alright but the J pipe that goes between the headers and side pipes hit the frame rail.

I couldn't put in the driver side at all. I'll have to remove the alternator and maybe even lift the engine. So back to the manuals to see if I did something wrong, no good came from that. So I check the forums for similar builds and it looks like I should have a completely different style of headers. Should be a long tube style that goes all the way to the side pipes. I emailed factory five to try and get this resolved.

I'll work on other things like the gas pedal, clutch cable, wiring, etc. Although I haven't had as much free time lately. Started my new job a couple weeks ago. The new territory is at least a few weeks behind and it's going to be a challenge to get it caught up.
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2023, 12:28 AM   #128
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

That new job thing has really killed my motivation lol.

That's only partially true. It has been busy but I really just have a hard time being productive during the short winter days. And I also bought another distraction, a can am commander SxS. It was a fairly Base model one that I did a couple small repairs to and now upgrading. Installed a new bumper and flip windshield, bought a used cab enclosure off ebay and started installing that. Really a fun machine.

Still waiting on Factory Five for exhaust resolution. They said I have the wrong J pipes and are supposed to be sending me the correct ones.

Happy new year!
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2023, 07:10 PM   #129
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Removed the alternator, got the driver side header on. Just a few bolts holding it now but it's in there. Went back through the manuals for reference of where I am and I need to dig through the parts and see if I have the correct sensors on the engine. I can't remember how the engine harness is routed, so I need to find some pics from before I tore it down. I'm also going to take the injectors in for cleaning before I install them. I've had problems in the past with them sticking after sitting too long before trying to start the engine. They look cruddy so get them cleaned up. There really is a lot of wiring on a coyote swap.
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2023, 11:59 PM   #130
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Got the engine harness figured out. Intake is bolted down. Coils are installed. I need a few parts like a thermostat outlet hose fitting and some caps to block unused vacuum and water lines. Also need to pick a gauge package so I have the sending units for the engine. The gauges from factory five are out of stock (of course), they are a reproduction of the original smiths gauges probably made by autometer. Autometer cobra gauges are available from multiple sources. The smiths gauges are also available but more expensive. I'm looking at some Dakota digital ones.
https://www.dakotadigital.com/index....rod/prd919.htm
About the same cost as the autometer version but spiffed up some. My wife reminded me that I don't have to make it like everyone else does, trying to copy the original. I can build it however I want. Which brings me back to color choices. I always figured it would be a shade of blue. I've bounced around back and forth on this. I thought I had decided this past summer on a super dark blue with ghost stripes. But I was still thinking of other options afterwards. I keep coming back to using the same turquoise as my C10. I love the color and I've seen pics of cobras done in turquoise that look amazing. The only reason I've resisted is because I didn't want to be the guy with turquoise cars. Stupid reason.
Attached Images

Last edited by hgs_notes; 01-03-2023 at 12:30 AM.
Old 01-04-2023, 06:44 PM   #131
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Got snowed in, again. I've plowed the driveway 3 times in 2 days. Then I plowed the road to town because the township didn't and I don't like feeling trapped. My 78 is a beast of a snow pusher.

Got the gas pedal installed and started working on a template for my drop trunk.
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2023, 11:52 PM   #132
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Had to remove the driver side header to install some heat shielding. I really like the floor and tunnel shield II from design engineering. It's a dense fiberglass insulation with a foil face and adhesive to stick directly to the panels. I hope it works.

The gauges were delivered but still had to find an adapter to fit the water temp sending unit into the block. I need to find a very small clamp for a cap on a hose barb that isn't used. Got the rest of the coolant system parts except for an overflow tank. Waiting for delivery for the fan shroud. The kit has a couple brackets to mount the electric fan into the mustang shroud but since I don't have that shroud and it looks like a poor setup anyway, buying a good aluminum shroud made sense. Getting close to buttoning up all of the mechanical systems.
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2023, 11:27 AM   #133
Rickysnickers

That DEI heat shield woks really well!! I put some on the plastic underbelly on my motorcycle. I had to buy a new one as the old one had been melted by the aftermarket exhaust system. The pan is maybe a 1/4" from the exhaust tube and there has been NO signs of warpage or heat related damage.
Rickysnickers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 09:41 PM   #134
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
That DEI heat shield woks really well!! I put some on the plastic underbelly on my motorcycle. I had to buy a new one as the old one had been melted by the aftermarket exhaust system. The pan is maybe a 1/4" from the exhaust tube and there has been NO signs of warpage or heat related damage.
Excellent!

Stopped by Dakota digital today, they are based in Sioux Falls, to get some tech support. The Ford control pack for the 1st generation coyote engine is supposed to tie in with a thing called a speed dial, which is basically a gadget that transforms the VSS signal from the transmission into a signal that works with the engine ecu. Without it the engine might stall under certain conditions. It just tells the engine the car is in motion. The problem is that the speed dial is not available anymore. The factory five forum had a thread where the guy got something from modern drive line, so I contacted them and got a part number. Great! But while driving I wondered if the Dakota digital system might have a suitable output. Well not exactly from what I bought but they do have an add on that should work and it's cheaper than the MDL part or the speed dial, so I bought that.

They also have cruise control systems that I can use on my LS swapped 79 crewcab, so I'm glad I stopped by.

I think I have everything to finish the air intake and cooling systems. And the electrical stuff should be all on hand, except i need to decide on battery mounting and get some ground cables. I'm going to drop off the injectors tomorrow for cleaning. Then I just need the J pipes from factory five. No word from them yet on if they have the correct ones or shipping if they do.

Pic for attention, as they say on the bookface.
Attached Images

Last edited by hgs_notes; 01-19-2023 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-20-2023, 11:40 PM   #135
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Injectors are cleaned and tested.

Got the fan and shroud mounted. Had a little problem with the bottom of the shroud. The flange didn't really overlap the bottom of the radiator enough to put the bolts through. So I improvised. Used a hole saw to cut into the tapered section then just flattened the middle down so it acted like a washer to clamp on.

I ordered an overflow tank. Should be able to finish the cooling system soon. Fuel system tomorrow. Maybe exhaust too. Thought I had a clutch cable with the kit but it was a throttle cable. Then lots of wiring.
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2023, 01:29 AM   #136
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Was a good day. Fuel system is done. Air intake is done. Cooling system almost done, just need to make a hose coupling for the upper radiator hose. Alternator back on. Both headers and J pipes on. Got a start on the wiring but barely. First new problem is routing the wires for O2 sensors. They are no where near where they would typically be on a regular car. It's a confusing mess of wiring and I'm not looking forward to it.
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2023, 09:09 PM   #137
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Made a little coupling from some roll bar tubing to finish the radiator hoses. The overflow tank didn't show up yet but I could at least start adding water/antifreeze. A gallon of each in it now but I'm going to pick up a flush kit to use the tee fitting with cap in the heater bypass hose. It's the highest point of the system, so I can finish adding coolant, possibly draw a vacuum to get air out.

Last night I went through the coyote install instructions regarding the harness. It talks about adding some wire in the O2 sensor feed to get length needed, but then just states to route the harness to reach the sensors. I started removing the wrap and got a little more room just with that, then started laying out the harness to see what needed to go where and think I have it sorted out enough. Most of the engine stuff is plugged in. I need to fab a mount for the ECU, then start tying the engine harness into the chassis/dash harness.

Not far from trying to start her up.
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2023, 10:01 PM   #138
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Well the overflow tank was delivered. It's too big. Might be able to use it if I move the air filter but I'll probably just try a different one. Not critical for the build.

Today I got the ecu and coyote fuse box mounted. I built a bracket for the ecu from some scrap. Turned out good. The O2 sensors are connected and the harness is retaped up. Time to make those wiring connections to the car.
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2023, 02:04 PM   #139
gigamanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Well the overflow tank was delivered. It's too big. Might be able to use it if I move the air filter but I'll probably just try a different one. Not critical for the build.

Today I got the ecu and coyote fuse box mounted. I built a bracket for the ecu from some scrap. Turned out good. The O2 sensors are connected and the harness is retaped up. Time to make those wiring connections to the car.
Nice bracket!

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 05:33 PM   #140
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigamanx View Post
Nice bracket!
Thanks! Good practice for some future sheetmetal projects.

Not much done today. Found the connector for the fuel pump I cut from the mustang and spliced it in. I tested the fuel pump, it worked. Found some of the other wires I need to splice but I'm taking the day off (mostly). There's really not a ton to do before starting it.
Old 01-30-2023, 10:21 PM   #141
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

One of my color choices...

https://modernclassikk.m2supply.com/...orne-basecoat/

Turquoise/aquamarine colors have always been my favorite.
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2023, 08:28 PM   #142
67C10Step

That turquoise color looks killer on that body style. Lots of curves to show off the shade and sparkle.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 10:35 AM   #143
joesscamaro

67C10 said it...that color would look great on your car! Thanks for posting the updates and enjoy following along on your build.
joesscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 06:54 PM   #144
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67C10Step View Post
That turquoise color looks killer on that body style. Lots of curves to show off the shade and sparkle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesscamaro View Post
67C10 said it...that color would look great on your car! Thanks for posting the updates and enjoy following along on your build.
Thanks for chiming in. I don't get much feedback on this build thread.

Clutch cable came today so I got that in. I drilled the shifter handle so it mounts vertically. It's too long but all I have for now. Should put a big old beer keg tapper on there and rat it out! Nope, not doing that. I got to row through the gears and make vroom vroom noises. Shifts nice. Still need to adjust the cable.

Got more wiring connections made between the various harnesses. I need to make some battery cables up. I have enough wire but ordered a crimper and eyelets to do it right. Just another excuse to buy some tools lol.

Once the battery cables are on and run to the coyote fuse box, there's not much left before trying to start it. Clutch switch and fans but those could be ignored or jumpered for the start up. Add ground straps. My transmission neutral safety switch plug looks damaged so might need to replace that.

So loud exhaust noises may be emanating from the garage before too long.
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2023, 07:26 PM   #145
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Do you have a timeline for being on the road, like driving it this summer sort of thing? Or are you at, its done when its done.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 12:15 AM   #146
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Do you have a timeline for being on the road, like driving it this summer sort of thing? Or are you at, its done when its done.
Well I thought I might have it running by last fall. That obviously didn't happen. If it starts there's not a ton of stuff to do before go carting it around the yard. I need to finish the trunk area and wiring. I'm planning to make a wood dash that will be time consuming. I would like to get the body on it this summer and try to get the registration done. Depends on how distracted I get with other projects.

My square body crewcab front seat is getting recovered this month and I need to order carpet for that. It needs a little more rust repair then bodywork.

My 71 C10 needs a new EFI system, the FI tech one wasn't working. And there's something draining the battery I need to fix.

A new side by side to play with. A motorcycle and sidecar that needs attention and sold.
Old 02-05-2023, 07:15 PM   #147
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

One of those days that I spent hours doing stuff but feels like I barely got anything done. Cleaning up/sorting more wiring. Built a bracket for the clutch switch, basically takes the place of the neutral safety switch. Adapted an unused bracket to hold the clutch cable, still need to drill a couple holes to actually mount it.

On the clutch switch bracket, I had my wife come out to help by pressing in the clutch peddle while I tinkered with the switch/brackets. First thing she says? Which peddle is it? LOL She hasn't driven a stick since she was 16. She has already stated that she has NO interest in driving this car.

I did order a new neutral safety switch for the transmission, even though I might never hook it up. I'd rather have it and not need it I guess. Also ordered the reverse light switch and sent a couple different tech help emails to try and figure out which wire is which on the speed sensor of the transmission. Both the same color. And to make things more confusing there is a VSS input and that I'm fairly sure I need to connect to the ECU, but there's also a VSS out wire that isn't even talked about in the instructions from Ford on the control pack. No wiring diagram came with that BTW.

Fan wiring can be done about 4 different ways according to the 2 different factory five instructions. I'm starting to get a feel for the chassis harness wiring and there's a bunch of it that doesn't get used because of the coyote control pack and because I'm using dakota digital gauges. So this week I just need to finish the power leads, hook up some grounds, get a battery and see what starts on fire. If everything survives that exercise I can put some gas in it and see if it'll produce internal combustion. I have a feeling I'm going to be shaking my head and staring at wiring diagrams and 4 different instruction manuals, mumbling to myself in cursive.
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2023, 08:25 PM   #148
mongocanfly
Post Whore

That's a engine bay full of engine..!!!

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 05:57 PM   #149
fatbass

I kind of understand why you don't get much feedback. This build looks super complicated and in my case, I'm still too analog for all these computerized controls.
I've been following in awe so it's not like your build is unappreciated. I'm subbed and check in daily.
I really like that turquoise color for whatever that's worth.
(I kind of half hoped you'd use a Chevy drivetrain just to piss off the purists.)
BTW, I have read all of your other threads and like your style.
As an aside, I was a boiler inspector back in a prior life ('80s) and moved to aerospace afterwards.
Old 02-06-2023, 07:58 PM   #150
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
That's a engine bay full of engine..!!!
Yup!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbass View Post
I kind of understand why you don't get much feedback. This build looks super complicated and in my case, I'm still too analog for all these computerized controls.
I've been following in awe so it's not like your build is unappreciated. I'm subbed and check in daily.
I really like that turquoise color for whatever that's worth.
(I kind of half hoped you'd use a Chevy drivetrain just to piss off the purists.)
BTW, I have read all of your other threads and like your style.
As an aside, I was a boiler inspector back in a prior life ('80s) and moved to aerospace afterwards.
The boiler inspection business has changed quite a lot since then. I still enjoy what I do. As for the quantity of feedback I think it's just less forum traffic especially on these "alternate tinkerings". It's fine really. I use the factory five forums for assistance and I have a local contact I can lean on too. I didn't create a build thread there though. Lets say I don't fit in there as much as here. So many of the people building these are doing the big budget, complete kit, new crate engine, etc. with all the options. There's almost nobody on there doing a donor car build like me. I even quit following the FB page because of the snobery I've encountered. I'm not saying they're all asshats, like any online forum deal you get your share of trolls or just well, snobs.

As for the chevy drivetrain option, there are several cars with LS engines and I'm sure there's older builds using the sbc. I have no problem with it because it's a kit car! Make it how you want. My choice was more about trying something new to me. Lessons learned, don't care for the complexity.

That said, I did get the engine wiring mostly done, minus the radiator fan. The battery was hooked up and smoke tested the wiring. No smoke escaped so I gave the ignition switch a turn and it cranks! I think I just need to add gas and give it a try. Oh and that battery is not the one for this car. I bought it to use as a 2nd battery on the plow truck. I just ordered some micro AGM battery for this that costs a bit more but takes up half the space.
Attached Images