The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2010, 07:47 PM   #1
lovetttimmy

Exclamation Brake and Tail Light Fuse?

Well here it is ... I reciently bought a 1964 C10 for a project...everything is going well other then the fuse block for this year, Ive been to a bunch of junk yard around my area and those who have my 1962 to 1966 c10's the brake and Tail light is burnt out of the fuse block.....Is this a normal thing for these years? because i need to find a good block and harness with out upgrading the whole thing!!!!

Thank,
Tim
lovetttimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:52 PM   #2
jocko

Re: Brake and Tail Light Fuse?

your pic didn't post - recommend posting a pic of the burnt fuse block. that's not normal, and it mightbe worth finding out what caused it to burn out before putting a new one in there - that's why a pic of the block might help.

also, since you said you're trying to do this without replacing the whole harness - I'd think any fuse block might work (theoretically....) but I'd probably buy a specific or generic re-wire kit before I'd put a different fuse block in it (that's just me).

Again, if the fuses just blew, that'd be one thing - but if you've got actual burning around the block, that's kind of a problem I think and worth knowing the cause before you catch your next fuse block on fire (or worse!)

Good luck - and a pic might spur one of the wiring geniuses to find your cause or at least help point in the right direction.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:33 PM   #3
lovetttimmy

thanks i will post the pic tomorrow, thanks again for the info...any idea where to start looking????
lovetttimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:18 PM   #4
fixit-p

The culprit here is high resistance at the fuse and not a short circuit. A pic would help.

Quote:
Originally posted by:Abraham Lincoln "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine."
fixit-p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:48 AM   #5
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

Had the same thing happen on my truck. The terminal melts at the connection to the fuse retaining clip on the backside of the fuse box. With all the wires crammed together it melted the protective casing on other wires at the same time. I replaced the terminal from a scrap fuse box I had for parts.

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote