The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-22-2009, 06:54 AM   #1
doctorplastic

Auxiliary Fuel Tank

Hi Guys, Still trying to figure things out on my new truck. Its a 1972 Cheyenne 20 Super. The tag on the glove box states that the truck came with an auxiliary fuel tank. Currently the gas guage is not working, it just turns to one side and stays there when the truck is running. I see the label in the dash to the left of the guages, but the switch is missing. Am I correct in understanding that switch is just to switch from one sending unit to the other. No I also understood that there is a manual valve to switch from tank to tank under the drivers seat. Well I check and there is no valve...but there is hole about the size of a dime. Now we get to the main problem. The guy I bought it from said tha the took out the tank to have it clean out as it was "rusty." He wasn't able to find the tank at the time of purchase...so my question - Is it possible to replace all three of these items to keep the truck as factory looking as possible? My main concern is the tank. I figure the switch on the dash is some sort of toggle switch and the valve on the cab floor can probably be replaced with a mechanical aftermarket valve along with the missing fuel lines. Now the wiring is still there wrapped around the frame under the bed. I would also have to find a filler neck because that is missing. I know that LMC sells the rubber hose that goes from the filler neck to the tank.

I want to keep this truck as original as possible. It's a Cheyenne 20 Super like I said, with factory camper equipment (dual batteries, auxiliary tank (option), sliding rear window, and large side mirrors. It also as the posi rear end with a wood bed and number maching 402 big block. This could be a really sweet truck if I can get everything back to the way it looked when it rolled off the factory floor.
doctorplastic is offline   Reply With Quote