The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-01-2024, 09:04 AM   #751
6DoF

Re: Project: Tow-Rat (Lil' Blue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Have you looked at a racepak for your gauges and data logging? For the cost of the holley stuff I think the racepak might be a better option price wise.

Your air valves look like the little Larry ones I have on my truck. I'm guessing these guys bought Larry out. Unless they changed design or upgraded something inside them, plan to add some lube to your air system maybe 1 or 2x a year. I only have the 2 valve and not the 4 but they will stick some times and that sucks. Hopefully yours won't. I've had mine on the truck for a long time so maybe mine is just an old design.
funny you should say that! i spent a lot of yesterday bored at work researching data logger and gauges racepak, AEM, and Holley are all kinda similar with different levels of fancy. i think i have currently landed on the Dakota Digital RTX (factory 55 looking cluster with the mini screen display in the speedo) and then a OneGauge with no screen to log into with my phone. looks like the cheapest, easiest, and best styled setup. i just need to hit up OneGauge n discuss inputs.

i'm pretty sure they did buy Larry's yeah, or might have been a partner ... not sure. the direction do say to oil em, i'll keep that in mind.
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 10:07 AM   #752
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I've been happy with my dakota digital VHX clusters. The only complaint I have is last time I called for the new setup, they said 6 month wait. That was good you got instructions with your valves. I'm pretty certain I didn't. But I do like the speed of them.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 09:17 AM   #753
6DoF

ok, the painless harness for the win. as i started i was hesitant to reorganize or cut things, but after getting into it, that just works. as soon as i have a wiring issue with my 93 it's just getting all-new from scratch too.

i really keep feeling like i want to make a funnel scoop cut into the front/side of the hood to bath the air filter. not sticking up or out at all, just thru the bulge right above/around the filter.

then here's how i ran the wiring. with no inner fenders at the moment, it's just attached to the under side of the fender at that lip. i made 2 nice big pass-thru grommets to then get behind the grill to hide the crossover and the fan relay. horn ordered, that's the green wire. i really like how all that hid really nicely behind the header latch panel. big blue wire is a ground strap. made a few different harness sections under the hood, i was worried that would look a mess but i think worked. the coil around the breather bottle are gauge sensor wires. i even put little 10-32 nutcerts in the cowl for that main harness fuse.

inside had such a massive pile of wires, but they are pre-bundled. by that time i was on a roll and just started hacking. left enough for easy servicing, wound up stuff for future use n BAM. lights work, switch is fully functional. key works, starts the damn thing, and splitting the ACC and IGN sets so the fans are on with the IGN but only the air compressors are on for the ACC.

i did end up hooking up the blinkers in the mid-bar in the headlights. hoping once i get the rear plugged in she'll actually flash.

Last edited by 6DoF; 03-04-2024 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-04-2024, 02:31 PM   #754
youngrodder

Looking good. Wiring can be such a time suck. On my bagged 48 truck build I had custom inner fenders but I used a piece of SS tube and ran the wires thru it in case my tires as to come in cant when being really low and turning. I attached thru the fender bolts holes with isolated metal/rubber claps. Worked/looked slick.

Wiring means your getting close...

Marc

1948 Chevy Truck - Finished SOLD!!

1953 Chevy Suburban "Family Truckster" Completed: Spring of 2021
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=605484

1994 4x4 Blazer - "Field Find"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ferrerid=30857
youngrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 08:39 AM   #755
6DoF

not sure why, but getting the factory rear view mirror back in after sand blast n paint was super satisfying.

the kick panel covers however ... sometimes ya just gotta "paint it black and put it back"

finished getting the wiring under the truck covered and tied up, horn in, steering wheel final assembly, fuel tanks tied together with a balance hose and vent to make one big volume (19*2). getting more check marks on the list!

Old 03-08-2024, 08:43 AM   #756
6DoF

this horn is CRAZY loud for as cheap as it was

https://imgur.com/7GFlR4F
Old 03-08-2024, 10:26 AM   #757
Jason 56

Looking great. You’re making great progress. I can relate to the wiring fun. I’ve been doing it for 3+ weeks now. You’ve got to be getting close to roadworthy. Definitely anticipating completion. Keep the pictures coming!
Old 03-15-2024, 09:18 AM   #758
6DoF

my barn kit got delivered! i can not wait for the foundation work to start ... i really need to get this bed done so i can maybe drive this while building the shop.

got a wild hair last night after the wife went to bed, got my shifter floor seal made. printed a cut template earlier over dinner for a nice tight fit. 2 layers of 1/8" neoprene, one cut around the trans and one around the shifter, then the steel trim ring. i feel like the ring should be AL or chrome, but should i paint it white or black for now?

later i think the wife plans to stitch up a boot for me too, but not needed to start driving this thing.

Old 03-15-2024, 09:31 AM   #759
dsraven

black for me
nice job
will look great with a stitched boot
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 10:27 AM   #760
6DoF

black it is!

got the kick panel bits back in, just waiting on the vent flappers to show up to finish assembly of that stuff. factory radio delete blasted and re-painted. just don't know what to put into the last open hole, i don't have any more delete buttons ...

got most of the bed mounts frame and floor side fabbed up Sunday. i really need to just get the bed sides on already!

Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM   #761
6DoF

so a buddy came thru Pitt for work and dropped off his Miller TIG machine for me to figure out. after a lot of practice on scrap and some aggravation, i think i did pretty decent. i have a lot to learn about making it easier/cheaper for myself though. i wasted SOOO much argon. but these hold water now!

1/2gal reservoir tank for the charge cooler(s). only running one system for now, but joined the possible 2 separate cooling circuits so they can balance when i get to that point. -12an weld on bungs to make future service easy.

Old Yesterday, 09:13 AM   #762
dsraven

really, thats the best you got?

kidding, nice looking beads, are you sure you're a newb tig welder?
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM   #763
6DoF

haha, thanks ... also note, just to be sure **i bought the can and only welded the bungs on** some robot did the can weld still coated black

but first functional part! there's a chance i tried a TIG in college for like 3minutes, but this week was the first actual use. i mean, I'm not new to welding by any means, do plenty of soldering, lots of translated skills.

Last edited by 6DoF; Yesterday at 12:05 PM.