The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-27-2021, 10:21 AM   #1
sick472

76 C10 - Scrap Metal OR Save for Parts Value

I have a 76 C10 long bed (and title) that is no longer an interest to me. It has no worthy sheet metal (maybe aside from some DIY patch panels (A-pillars, cab top)- key word is maybe), no motor or transmission ,no front clip or front bumper, no tail gate, decent side and rear glass, rusty frame (but not swiss cheese last I looked), full original front suspension and is sitting on a full set of steel wheels and rolling tires, broken real leaf spring, but a low mileage power steering box and full (but ragged interior)...as you can tell it's not worth much.

The question is...Is something like this worth getting into the right hands or just taking it to the scrap yard?

I am not interested in parting it out, but would love for it to be put to good use as I love the hobby and hate to see it turned into re-bar. I have thought about giving it away as the scrap price minus the hassle has little value to me.

To scrap or not to scrap?

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 11:41 AM   #2
kipps

Re: 76 C10 - Scrap Metal OR Save for Parts Value

Find out what a local scrap yard would pay you for the truck. Offer it up on Marketplace or similar for $100 over scrap value. If there's no takers within a month, haul it in.

Edit: you'll need to know the weight in order to estimate the scrap price. Use two 300-lb bathroom scales with a wooden plank between them. Using this combination, weigh each wheel individually and add them up.

Edit again: If you don't mind the hassle, you could also offer that folks can cut their own patch panels off the truck for a $20 inconvenience fee.

If this truck and any others you own have cargo lights, inspect behind the light. When the gasket ages, water gets behind the light and rots them out. If the parts truck is in better shape, it might be worth cutting the entire cargo light assembly out of the cab and installing it in a rotted cab.
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!

Last edited by kipps; 07-27-2021 at 02:44 PM.
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:22 PM   #3
Dead Parrot

Take a few pics and post it up as free to new home, bring your own trailer. Someone may see that magic part they have been prowling the yards for.

If you have a nearby pull a part type place, they will often pay something for salvage vehicles and pick them up as part of the deal.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:38 PM   #4
Nick_R_23

Always let them go to someone who can use it. The fewer that get turned into chineseium, the better.
Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:30 AM   #5
blazer2007

I know they don,t make or sell the lower control arms and I needed some for my blazer, might be worth something. There is something little I always need ,bolts screws brackets etc.
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 05:02 PM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

youd probably get about $250 in scrap like that if it has a beat body and no drivetrain, unless theres some good quality stuff inside the cab id just send it... there is a point where its beating a dead horse to save something, and unless its a super desireable truck ( indy hauler or Gentleman Jim scrap it

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:31 AM   #7
sick472

This is a good collection of ideas and I won't be able to get it to the scrap yard until my K20 is back up and running...later this summer.

Until then, I like the idea of offering up free parts with a zero dollar "inconvenience fee". The individual parts money does not mean much really and meeting other truck hobbyist would be payment enough so long as parts are not removed that would inhibit it being pulled to the scrap yard with my other truck and a tow bar.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
Old 08-07-2021, 10:52 PM   #8
LT7A

Always worth finding new home for the parts. On here I see people using parts that you have in their build threads all the time. A guy in Germany needs a front frame horn. Somebody needs a whole C10 frame. Somebody needs the back pieces of the frame because somebody welded a bumper/hitch to it. That front suspension is a near bolt on for the 60 through 66s - the list goes on. If you start a new thread with some pictures, you will most likely find some people who need stuff that you have.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 08:15 AM   #9
sick472

I'm leaning towards that LT, to some extent...I'd like the old truck gone, but I just hate to have someone just pick it up and drive 10 miles to the metal recycler. I can do that. It'd be nice to know it's going to help the hobby, not to have someone make some quick scrap money. And, I'd like to keep it from becoming a part time job where I spend my time dismantling it and shipping parts. I've got enough to do on my 85 and I'm dying to get into a 67 project (old Pontiac). I should gets some photos and post a "come-get-it-all" ad and see if someone needs some parts and that part time job to liquefy what they don't need.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
Old 08-09-2021, 08:36 AM   #10
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick472 View Post
I'm leaning towards that LT, to some extent...I'd like the old truck gone, but I just hate to have someone just pick it up and drive 10 miles to the metal recycler. I can do that. It'd be nice to know it's going to help the hobby, not to have someone make some quick scrap money. And, I'd like to keep it from becoming a part time job where I spend my time dismantling it and shipping parts. I've got enough to do on my 85 and I'm dying to get into a 67 project (old Pontiac). I should gets some photos and post a "come-get-it-all" ad and see if someone needs some parts and that part time job to liquefy what they don't need.
I think it'd be cool if you did. There are guys in the 67 to 72 world who literally catalog every nut and bolt and describe it. The initials, markings, and other stampings. Square bodies haven't reached that level of intensity yet, but at some point they probably will. Not that you can hold on to it until then, haha.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote