The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-29-2021, 12:39 AM   #1
Gotenntitans

2010 Silverado rammed from behind.......opinions wanted

Today my son was sitting at the back of a line of cars waiting on a train to pass when WHAM, he was rammed from behind by a woman on her cell phone......with no insurance! Rear bumper, tailgate, both bedsides, dual exhaust tips, spare tire carrier, drop hitch, and tool box mounted in the bed all damaged. Not smashed like her vehicle is, but just kinda compressed & scrunched up together......the drop hitch and 2” trailer ball really absorbed most of the impact and kept him from getting hurt, I believe. She was probably doing 40-50 when she hit him judging by the damage to her vehicle, which had to be towed away. Here’s her vehicle. I don’t have a good one of our truck yet.

Anyway, he wasn’t injured and the police officer said that his report would certainly place the other driver at fault. There was a lady who waited and gave her version as a witness to it also. So our insurance company said we have uninsured motorist coverage and it’ll get fixed for sure. Now here’s the thing I want opinions on.

Estimate is almost $8000 to fix it. They said the frame is bent and the truck now sits 2” higher on the driver side than the passenger side. It is noticeable looking at it from behind. Son says it’s making a whine sound now when he’s driving it. They told him they could total it with the frame being bent like that and the rear end or driveshaft may have shifted a bit. The truck has 125K miles on it, but still looks good and has no other issues. It’s been a good truck, but it may be time to let it go.

Fix it or let em total it? I think we should get it fixed. Son thinks with a bent frame it won’t ever ride or sit right again and it’ll eat the tires up. He’s leaning towards wanting it totaled.

I have a friend who is a retired insurance adjustor. He says most insurance companies don’t want to even fix em anymore. Seems awfully wasteful, but we’ll see how it turns out tomorrow after the adjustor gets here to look at it.

Here’s one before today’s damage. Anyone know how to get a book value of what it should be worth?
2003 Chevy Silverado

Last edited by Gotenntitans; 01-29-2021 at 01:00 AM.
Gotenntitans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 12:48 AM   #2
Warrens69GMC

Re: 2010 Silverado rammed from behind.......opinions wanted

I would have them total and see what your cost to keep it would be (if V8). Pull the powertrain and seats etc...to put in another truck.
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 07:12 PM   #3
Gotenntitans

Gonna get it repaired. 2nd estimate said frame is not bent. Insurance adjustor has come and checked it out......not as bad as we first thought, I guess.
2003 Chevy Silverado
Old 02-06-2021, 05:58 PM   #4
yuccales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotenntitans View Post
Gonna get it repaired. 2nd estimate said frame is not bent. Insurance adjustor has come and checked it out......not as bad as we first thought, I guess.
What's the whining sound? Transfer case working ok? Great that there is no frame damage.
yuccales is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:30 AM   #5
Gotenntitans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuccales View Post
What's the whining sound? Transfer case working ok? Great that there is no frame damage.
The whining sound is the power steering, I think. Anyway, I was just gonna get on to mention that my son sold the truck today......just as it looks in the pic except for a crinkled up rear end. Guy came to buy it today and said he wasn’t worried about the bed & bumper damage....he just wanted a newer truck. So my son has already located a 2017 Ford Platinum in Texas that he’s going to look at tomorrow. Son is a true wheeler dealer.
2003 Chevy Silverado