The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2015, 01:34 PM   #1
sofilofi

Tapered roller bearings?

Hello everyone,I need to get front wheel bearings for my 53 1/2 ton and figure I might as well get the tapered rollers.My question is where (vendor)can I get better ones (made in Japan)? I would rather get US made but from what I've read no one makes them.I have stock hubs and keeping drums.
Thanks in advance.
sofilofi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:08 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Tapered roller bearings?

That may be a hard call. Bearings made in Japan are probably ok as I've used a lot of bearings from Japan in the past without problems. It's the ones made in China that may be suspect and have poor quality control.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:39 PM   #3
Dan in Pasadena

Maybe I'm out of the loop, has Timken Bearing gone out of business? Anything made in Japan is of the highest quality, better than our stuff in a lot of cases. The days of "Japanese junk" are 40 years behind us at least.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:02 PM   #4
sofilofi

Thanks for the replies.What I'm trying to find out is if anybody knows which if any of the aftermarket vendors carry the Japanese ones.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:11 AM   #5
Rickysnickers

There's a bearing company down in Fallbrook, CBR Bearing. If you have a part number or the bearing itself in front of you, call them and I'm sure they can help you out.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:49 AM   #6
sofilofi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
There's a bearing company down in Fallbrook, CBR Bearing. If you have a part number or the bearing itself in front of you, call them and I'm sure they can help you out.
Cool,thank you.I'll check them out
Old 09-14-2015, 04:06 PM   #7
capnduane

I installed the tapered roller set in my '55 2nd from CPP, over two years ago. I drive my truck almost every day. No problemos.... Nice quality set with rubber lipped seals. Don't know where they were manufactured, probably China......
Old 09-14-2015, 06:08 PM   #8
whitedog76

I have MBS (Japan) bearings in my 54 3600. On a first impression, they are quite beefy and well made. When it comes to fitment, they were very tight. I had to use quite a bit of emery cloth on the hubs to get the races to go in. The spindle, same story. Lots of emery to get them to slide on.
The OE felt seal woudn't work on the bearings either. I had to cross reference a rubber lip seal. I couldn't drive the seal in all the way, or it would get into the bearing.
I also had to use a bushing between the inner bearing and spindle because there was too much end play, the hub wouldn't seat all the way.

Now, I know, I have a 60 year old truck, so I'm sure the spindles could've been slighty out of round and there is no telling what has been done to the truck over the years.

They seem to be good quality products, but need a little improving. I'm sure I'll get years of service out of them.

On the flipside, If I had to do it all over again, I would stick with the original ball bearings. With the modern high temp greases, they are more than up to the task.

These vendors have tapered and ball bearings availible

http://www.classictruck.com/

https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote