The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2021, 05:06 PM   #1
Dexterb
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Stony Plain Alberta Canada
Posts: 35
Best spray can primer/paint for chassis?

Hi all,

Looking for recommendations for what is the best primer/paint from a spray can for painting frame/chassis components.

I plan on cleaning up some items by wiring wheeling and/or red scotch brite pads and clean with brake cleaner to degrease. I also have a few new parts that are just bare steel that need to be coated.

Not interested in powder coating due to cost and time.

Krylon ColorMaxx? or VHT Rollbar and Chassis Epoxy?

I've read a few build threads that said Krylon ColorMaxx was good, but then read a fairly recent post that the formula was changed and to avoid it.

Any feedback or input is appreciated.

Thanks!

-Dexter
Dexterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 07:17 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore
 
mongocanfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Alabama
Posts: 12,834
Re: Best spray can primer/paint for chassis?

ive had good luck with the higher quality krylon and rustoleum
__________________
Mongo...aka Greg

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2013 GMC Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 11:33 PM   #3
lupo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: usa
Posts: 144
Re: Best spray can primer/paint for chassis?

If you are going to use a a spray can, metal prep the chassis after you wire wheel and degrees it. Your paint job will last a lot longer if you treat first
lupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 09:30 AM   #4
67C10Step
Registered User
 
67C10Step's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Beebe, AR
Posts: 1,606
Re: Best spray can primer/paint for chassis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
ive had good luck with the higher quality krylon and rustoleum
Same here. Lupo is right, preparation is the key but that is the same for any surface coating.
__________________
1967 C10
2020 Toyota 4Runner
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
2016 Toyota Tacoma
2012 Impala LTZ
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 02:38 PM   #5
Louisvillekytruck
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Louisville ky
Posts: 277
Re: Best spray can primer/paint for chassis?

Sem trim black
Louisvillekytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 02:43 PM   #6
Louisvillekytruck
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Louisville ky
Posts: 277
Re: Best spray can primer/paint for chassis?

Or worth satin trim black
Louisvillekytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 04:14 PM   #7
tinydb84
Registered User
 
tinydb84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Jose Ca
Posts: 2,860
Re: Best spray can primer/paint for chassis?

I'd always use a 2k epoxy. Eastwood sells it in an can that you press a plunger on the bottom and mix it if you dont have a compressor to shoot it. One time use but my brother used it with good success.

Has anyone used the Steel It paint? I keep seeing it online but never see it in person.
__________________
David
Used parts build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=638991
My brother's Nova: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=727985
Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
tinydb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 11:11 PM   #8
Myself
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Northern Arkansas
Posts: 966
Re: Best spray can primer/paint for chassis?

I have always had good results for YEARS on daily drivers with clean metal, no primer, and Rustoleum brushed on.
Myself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 11:18 PM   #9
lupo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: usa
Posts: 144
Re: Best spray can primer/paint for chassis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterb View Post
Hi all,

Looking for recommendations for what is the best primer/paint from a spray can for painting frame/chassis components.

I plan on cleaning up some items by wiring wheeling and/or red scotch brite pads and clean with brake cleaner to degrease. I also have a few new parts that are just bare steel that need to be coated.

Not interested in powder coating due to cost and time.

Krylon ColorMaxx? or VHT Rollbar and Chassis Epoxy?

I've read a few build threads that said Krylon ColorMaxx was good, but then read a fairly recent post that the formula was changed and to avoid it.

Any feedback or input is appreciated.

Thanks!

-Dexter
Is this vehicle going to be driven in the winter ?
lupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 07:28 PM   #10
Pitpig
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Bonner Springs, KS
Posts: 43
Re: Best spray can primer/paint for chassis?

I brushed on agriguard, itís hard to find though. Used rust bullet on the floor, it flows out well and seals the frame
Pitpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 01:03 AM   #11
Dexterb
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Stony Plain Alberta Canada
Posts: 35
Re: Best spray can primer/paint for chassis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupo View Post
Is this vehicle going to be driven in the winter ?
Not planning on winter driving.

I've been thinking about using a rust inhibitor or converter on frame/mounts etc, wherever there is pitted rust that can't be cleaned up perfectly with wire wheeling, and then top coating with Krylon Satin Black. I painted the rear diff this way and hopefully it holds up. Wire wheeled it up best I could, then red scotch brite, and brake cleaner to degrease. Sprayed a few coats of rust inhibitor primer, then top coated with Krylon Satin Black.

Maybe POR would be better and then top coat?
Dexterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 01:05 AM   #12
Dexterb
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Stony Plain Alberta Canada
Posts: 35
Re: Best spray can primer/paint for chassis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitpig View Post
I brushed on agriguard, itís hard to find though. Used rust bullet on the floor, it flows out well and seals the frame
I was thinking about using rust-mort. Lots of good reviews as well.
Dexterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 09:25 PM   #13
CC69Rat
Senior Member

 
CC69Rat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chattanooga TN
Posts: 6,051
Re: Best spray can primer/paint for chassis?

VHT Epoxy Satin Black. Not the Rollbar paint. It's a challenge to find but it turns out pretty nice. I agree, you have to clean, treat and prime it to make it last.
Attached Images
  
__________________
Chad

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2017 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 6.4L (daily)
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ - Lifted
2003 S10 Blazer 4 door - Dropped, Americans
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 09:56 PM   #14
3757chevy
Senior Member
 
3757chevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Southern Colorado
Posts: 2,584
Re: Best spray can primer/paint for chassis?

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/MSR7243 NAPA chassis black But it's all in the prep.
__________________
'67 Stepside(1997-SOLD)'72 K5 Blazer(2013)'35 Pickup(2020)'68 C10 Suburban(2021)
MIKE
3757chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 04:02 PM   #15
Big Kev-O
Senior Member
 
Big Kev-O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Simi, CA
Posts: 380
Re: Best spray can primer/paint for chassis?

VHT Chassis & Roll Bar paint is a decent and so is their Epoxy Satin Black product. Both are epoxy and claims to be chemical resistant but I can tell you from experience brake fluid will strip just about any rattle can paint right off if you don't clean it up immediately. Rustoleum appliance epoxy is much cheaper than VHT and is pretty similar $25 for 6 can at Home Depot vs VHTs $8 each. The 2K aerosols are more chip & chemical resistant but expensive. I'm not trying to win any shows so I will just touch it up on occasion. The VHT Epoxy that I sprayed on my control arms is holding up pretty good.
__________________
Made in America by Americans
Big Kev-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 05:32 PM   #16
pdxhall
Senior Member
 
pdxhall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 1,785
Re: Best spray can primer/paint for chassis?

I used Eastwood's extreme chassis black. I hand stripped the chassis to bare metal and used their rust encapsulater over the bare metal. It has been rock hard.
__________________
Sanity'66
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=515110
Long bed, Fleetside, Small back window

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 11:29 PM   #17
Dexterb
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Stony Plain Alberta Canada
Posts: 35
Re: Best spray can primer/paint for chassis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
VHT Epoxy Satin Black. Not the Rollbar paint. It's a challenge to find but it turns out pretty nice. I agree, you have to clean, treat and prime it to make it last.
That looks good!
What makes it better than the rollbar paint? Anything specific?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3757chevy View Post
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/MSR7243 NAPA chassis black But it's all in the prep.
Ugh.. I know. Such a pain since it is on a suburban and can't just pull off the box, or cab easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kev-O View Post
VHT Chassis & Roll Bar paint is a decent and so is their Epoxy Satin Black product. Both are epoxy and claims to be chemical resistant but I can tell you from experience brake fluid will strip just about any rattle can paint right off if you don't clean it up immediately. Rustoleum appliance epoxy is much cheaper than VHT and is pretty similar $25 for 6 can at Home Depot vs VHTs $8 each. The 2K aerosols are more chip & chemical resistant but expensive. I'm not trying to win any shows so I will just touch it up on occasion. The VHT Epoxy that I sprayed on my control arms is holding up pretty good.
Thanks! Did you prime first then hit it with VHT? Or since it is epoxy, it's all in one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
I used Eastwood's extreme chassis black. I hand stripped the chassis to bare metal and used their rust encapsulater over the bare metal. It has been rock hard.
Im up in Canada, and by the time a few suppliers bring it up, and import etc, the price becomes ridiculous. If I was down in the lower 48, Eastwood would have been my go to.
Dexterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 04:52 PM   #18
Big Kev-O
Senior Member
 
Big Kev-O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Simi, CA
Posts: 380
Re: Best spray can primer/paint for chassis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterb View Post


Thanks! Did you prime first then hit it with VHT? Or since it is epoxy, it's all in one?
No, I applied it direct to bare metal as stated in the instructions. Removed all the paint, rust and grease from the factory part with a wire wheel, de-greased with simple green Pro HD Heavy Duty cleaner and then went over them again with some Sprayway glass cleaner. I read lots of threads recommending the Sprayway glass cleaner for paint prep. Worked great for me.

Here is how my spindles turned out. This is the gloss, which comes out more like a semi-gloss.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Made in America by Americans
Big Kev-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 09:19 PM   #19
Dexterb
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Stony Plain Alberta Canada
Posts: 35
Re: Best spray can primer/paint for chassis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kev-O View Post
No, I applied it direct to bare metal as stated in the instructions. Removed all the paint, rust and grease from the factory part with a wire wheel, de-greased with simple green Pro HD Heavy Duty cleaner and then went over them again with some Sprayway glass cleaner. I read lots of threads recommending the Sprayway glass cleaner for paint prep. Worked great for me.

Here is how my spindles turned out. This is the gloss, which comes out more like a semi-gloss.
Nice! It turned out good! Thanks for sharing!!
-Dexter
Dexterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 03:03 AM   #20
mikelom
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: GA
Posts: 104
Re: Best spray can primer/paint for chassis?

Rustoleum. It's a tough paint. Just prep your chassis really well.
mikelom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 06:13 PM   #21
Flying Hamster
Registered User
 
Flying Hamster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Starbase 4
Posts: 117
Re: Best spray can primer/paint for chassis?

Rustoleum. Wire brush/degrease/wash. Rusty metal primer and semi gloss or Satin black.
__________________
2006 Sierra RCSB V6 5 Speed RWD.
Flying Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 01:43 PM   #22
Dexterb
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Stony Plain Alberta Canada
Posts: 35
Re: Best spray can primer/paint for chassis?

Thanks! I think i might try one product on one side and a different product on the other and see how they hold up... or take the info and go with which ever is more cost friendly.
__________________
Current: 1990 Suburban Build Thread https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...errerid=380061
Dexterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2020 67-72chevytrucks.com