The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
twotallswan

Need info on fuel tank for 62 stepside c10.

Was wondering if anybody might know the best fuel tank to use for my 1962 stepside shortbed c10. I want to mount it under the bed so that it's not in the cab.
Posted via Mobile Device
twotallswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Re: Need info on fuel tank for 62 stepside c10.

Check here first.. The Gas Tank Thread

If that doesn't answer your question let us know.

Hope that helps!

John

Last edited by lakeroadster; 04-08-2011 at 06:05 PM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:25 PM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Here's an idea that was posted not long ago.

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=456869

I don't know if I would use that tank. I would suggest doing some research to see if you could install a GM sending unit in that tank so that your GM gauge will work.

Depending on what your budget is, there are 2 board vendors that build very nice aluminum fuel tanks. Check them out over in the Vendor Marketplace.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:44 AM   #4
twotallswan

Thanks for all the advice y'all. Next question: are the custom made tanks street legal?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-09-2011, 03:11 AM   #5
kc0kfg

I just have to ask WHY? unless its leaking I have never seen a reason to move the gas tank.

1966 Chevy Paneltruck
1992 gmc 1 ton 2wd
1997 burban
Never be afraid to try something remember amateurs built the ark, the Titanic was built by pro's
kc0kfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:46 AM   #6
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0kfg View Post
I just have to ask WHY? unless its leaking I have never seen a reason to move the gas tank.
Guess you can't say that anymore..... here are a couple of very good reasons:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokomoooo View Post
Putting mine under the bed. My Dad constantly moaned about my gas tank being in the cab, I found out a couple weeks ago after I told him that I'm reloacting it that he saw two people burn to death in a chevy truck like mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
Here is first hand testimony from one of the members here in regards to in cab tank safety. It is from “junkyardjohn”, post #25 on this thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=117123

IN 1977 I WAS HIT BROADSIDE AT AN INTERSECTION BY A DRUNK DRIVER (I WAS DOING 55 OR 60) CAUSING ME TO ROLL END OVER END IN MY 72 3/4 TON FORD. AFTER ROLLING ABOUT 80 YARDS, I STOPPED WITH THE TRUCK UPSIDE DOWN WITH MY HEAD PINNED TO THE GROUND. IT STOPPED IN A LITTLE DEPRESSION IN THE GROUND, & EVERYTHING WAS FROZEN(IT WAS DEC. 23rd IN MICHIGAN). THE BEHIND THE SEAT TANK WAS JUST FILLED. IT SPLIT, & ALL OF THE GAS DUMPED OUT OVER ME, & ALMOST DROWED ME IN GASOLINE, AS MY HEAD WAS PINNED TO THE GROUND. I WAS PINNED IN THE WRECKAGE FOR ABOUT 20 MINUTES, I HAD PLENTY OF TIME TO PONDER THE PLACEMENT OF SUCH A FUEL TANK. THE ONLY REASON IT DIDN'T CATCH FIRE WAS MY BATTERY WAS THROWN OUT DURING ONE OF THE ROLLS. LUCKY ME-- I GOT OUT OF IT WITH A BROKEN BACK, 14 BROKEN RIBS, A BROKEN COLLAR BONE & ABOUT 300 STITCHES ON MY MELLON. SO YEAH .... IT IS KINDA A SAFETY THING.

I CONSIDER THESE TANKS A BIG BOMB BEHIND THE SEAT ALSO. THE REASON YOU DON'T HERE ABOUT ALOT OF THE PROBLEMS WITH THEM IS THAT MOST OF THE PEOPLE WHO EXPERIANCED PROBLEMS WITH THEM ARE DEAD.
JOHN
Here is another thread on the topic of Should I leave the Fuel Tank in the Cab?

Last edited by lakeroadster; 04-09-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:02 AM   #7
twotallswan

I would have to agree with lakeroadster, my dad had a friend that died back in the seventies due to an in cab tank during an accident. Also, I intend to put a sound system in and want to put speakers behind the seat. Speaking of seats, my brother thinks I should put more modern seats in my truck, any suggestions on type or which vehicle to salvage them from.
Posted via Mobile Device
2012 Malibu
A beautiful wife and 3 wonderful kids
TJ
Old 04-09-2011, 09:11 AM   #8
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

My seats came from a 2002 chevrolet truck, a little adjusting needed and new holes drilled. has integrated seat belts is why I did it, oh and I got them free when I bought some other parts.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:14 AM   #9
twotallswan

Cool, thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
2012 Malibu
TJ
Old 04-09-2011, 09:44 AM   #10
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

My truck had a 1990 Silverado bench in it when I bought it, fit was very nice. It is my understanding that 88-98 Chevy truck bench seats were all of this same design. Check out the seat base in the picture below, kind of unique looking and makes it easy to identify these seats if they have been removed from the truck.

Last edited by lakeroadster; 04-09-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:33 PM   #11
kc0kfg

We could sit here all day and post stories of trucks catching on fire, the cab mounted tank was and is just as safe as any out here.

Even the posting you put up the cab mounted tank was of no harm to the OP being T-boned and flipping the truck was the cause of the injuries.

I can see it for more cab room but if you are afraid of the gas tank in these its time to stop driving.

1966 Chevy Paneltruck
1992 gmc 1 ton 2wd
1997 burban
Never be afraid to try something remember amateurs built the ark, the Titanic was built by pro's
kc0kfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:20 AM   #12
twotallswan

It's cool man, I just don't happen to agree with you. I have children and would rather be safe than sorry. I appreciate your advice and hope that you respect my right to not follow it.
Posted via Mobile Device
2012 Malibu
TJ
Old 04-10-2011, 07:57 AM   #13
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Demeaning a member by telling them "its time to stop driving" is in no way constructive or applicable to the subject at hand.

For many of us what makes us who we are is seeing opportunity for improvement and then making those improvements a reality.

Bottom Line:
  • If your not concerned about the in-cab tank that's great. You are good to go, fill'er up and head down the road.
  • If you want to move the tank out of the cab there are those of us here who have done this and we are ready, willing and able to help you do so.

That's what is so great about this website vs. others. Here we try to help each other.

Last edited by lakeroadster; 04-10-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:09 AM   #14
twotallswan

Thank you lakeroadster, that is all I'm looking for, just a little friendly advice about how to actually do what was already planning to do.

All I want to do is build my truck the way I want and someday pass it down to one of my children.
Posted via Mobile Device
2012 Malibu
TJ
Old 04-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #15
GMC4wheels71
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0kfg View Post
We could sit here all day and post stories of trucks catching on fire, the cab mounted tank was and is just as safe as any out here.

Even the posting you put up the cab mounted tank was of no harm to the OP being T-boned and flipping the truck was the cause of the injuries.

I can see it for more cab room but if you are afraid of the gas tank in these its time to stop driving.
Agreed. In a t-bone flip situation a gas tank anywhere on the vehicle is a direct threat to the occupants unless it has a breakaway design AND you luck out and don't have it break away and chase your butt down the pavement.

The reality is that you're more likely to protect the passenger cabin in an accident, turning to avoid a direct-to-compartment collision. In which case you'll be protecting yourself and that all-important gas tank.

That's my take on it. I've had behind the seat tanks for many years and never had a problem, nor have I ever talked with anyone that actually did have a problem. All I've heard is the second hand stories about a friend of a friend's cousin twice removed who knew someone in another county that had one that blew up.
The auto companies in these stories always fly out black helicopters to ray gun the bodies and autos so no evidence is left behind. That's why you never see them on the news

Of course, it's your car. If you wanna move it, sic 'em!

Last edited by GMC4wheels71; 04-10-2011 at 11:59 AM.
GMC4wheels71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:20 PM   #16
twotallswan

Isn't it great that we live in a country where we have freedom of speech and the right to voice our opinions even when they are not asked for. That being said, maybe I should clear things up a bit, the tank is not behind the seat to begin with. The previous owner had removed it because it had a leak. I do not want to put a new one behind the seat. I had already decided to put one under the bed. All I wanted was an opinion on what was the best tank to use for this. Anyone who has anything to offer other than the information I am looking for will be ignored.

To those who offer helpful advice, thank you very much. To those of you who are just looking to start an argument, you are free to voice your opinions and beliefs, but I don't want the tank behind the seat, nuff said, end of story.
Posted via Mobile Device
2012 Malibu
TJ
Old 04-10-2011, 01:32 PM   #17
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC4wheels71 View Post
All I've heard is the second hand stories about a friend of a friend's cousin twice removed who knew someone in another county that had one that blew up.
That's confusing?
  • Guess you didn't read post #6 above, the post that has 67-72 member junkyardjohn's story?
  • Or post #7 by the OP, twotallswan, who stated "my dad had a friend that died back in the seventies due to an in cab tank during an accident"?
GM put the tank in the cab because it was the least expensive place for them to put it from a cost of installation on the assembly line perspective.

Long bed, short bed, step-side, fleetside, 2 wheel drive, 4 wheel drive it didn't matter, all the tanks were in the cab... it was easy and made them more money due to minimized labor to install.

There was very little concern for "safety" when designing cars before the mid 1960's, let alone trucks.

In 1967 the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) introduced the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 301, “Fuel System Integrity” [NHTSA Part 571.301] to reduce deaths and injuries occurring from fires. Initially the standard only applied to passenger cars, however, in 1977 light trucks were also included. GM no doubt saw this standard lurking on the horizon and redesigned the fuel tanks outside the passenger compartment. As far as GM's Safety vs. profit record they actually did a study on this subject in 1973:
At the heart of GM's resistance to improving the safety of its fuel systems was a cost benefit analysis done by Edward Ivey which concluded that it was not cost effective for GM to spend more than $2.20 per vehicle to prevent a fire death.
While this was certainly done in response to the side mounted tanks that were used on the "new" 1973 models, it shows that safety wasn't job one at GM, profit was.

Last edited by lakeroadster; 04-10-2011 at 02:14 PM.