The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2008, 01:38 PM   #1
kcjones
I wish I was a cowboy

1/2T frontend on 3/4T truck

I'm hoping you guys can help with this, as it seems like my last stumbling block planning my next bit o' work. I have a 67 C20, want to affect a 3.5/5 drop, and 'convert' to 1/2T frontend, plan on doing so in this way:

-Swap rearend with 73-87 12bolt 6 lug, shave leaf perches, weld on new trailing arm pads, use adjustable panhard that connects to passenger side trailing arm pad, new drop springs (5"), drop shocks and shock relocation, and rear sway bar.

-install new front end kit, which includes master cyl, booster, 6 lug rotors/calipers, 1" drop spring, drop shocks, front sway bar, and (most importantly), 2.5 drop spindles/upper and lower ball joints, and new inner/outer tie rod ends.

My question is this: The ball joints, inner & outer tie rod ends, and spindles all come together in a kit that installs "73-87 style ball joints/rod ends" Here's the link. Will these new ball joints bolt/press into my existing 3/4T control arms? Or will I need to replace my lower control arms with 1/2T arms? Also, should I replace control arms shafts and bushings?

Thanks for any help you can provide, I know the expertise is here to save me 30 drives to the parts store and a long hair pulling experience.

Met list: Cyclone,Wilson,TranzAm,extd56,hotrodhomi,mnky30,Rokcrln,Brad,JerryJones(well, his truck anyway).
kcjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:45 PM   #2
kcjones
I wish I was a cowboy

Re: 1/2T frontend on 3/4T truck

Quick ttt...wondered mostly if anyone knows if I can press a 1/2 ton lower ball joint into a '67 3/4 ton lower a-arm?

Met list: Cyclone,Wilson,TranzAm,extd56,hotrodhomi,mnky30,Rokcrln,Brad,JerryJones(well, his truck anyway).
Old 07-17-2008, 04:58 PM   #3
joe231

from what I've read the 3/4 ton lowers are larger in diameter, uppers might work though...you can do a six lug swap using the early '90s light duty 3/4 ton stuff and your stock arms with the '90s ball joints...I think
there is a thread about it somewhere
Old 07-29-2008, 02:57 PM   #4
kcjones
I wish I was a cowboy

My plan has changed, I'm wondering if anyone can pass on some knowledge here:

I'm going for a static 3.5"/5" drop now, but seeing that I need a-arms as my 3/4's won't work with all the cool kits, I'm going to buy a-arms.

The question is, should I get some tubulars, and are there any that will let me run a coil now, but upgrade to bags easily later? I don't want to go bags now as I can't afford it.

basically, any tube a-arms out there that work with coils, but will make upgrade to bags easy?

Thanks for any help!